Author Topic: Shelter: The "gay surfer movie" (it's so much more!). See it now and discuss it!  (Read 323908 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
I have always leaned away from seeing Ennis as as flawed an individual as some do, thinking more about his place and time and circumstance. But free will has got to figure in there, I know.

Hi again rdg!  Well, Ennis - and Jack! - are certainly flawed individuals.  I think AP was pretty deliberate about making sure they weren't idealized.  But I'm not sure I would compare Ennis with Jeanne - sad figures both - but I see them as polar opposites in almost every way.  I'm not sure Ennis had the foundation or support system to break out of his internal homophobia, but I do think Jeanne has the ability to break out of the cycle of bad choices she makes - she does have an emotional support system in Zach (and through him in Shaun) and Cody , if she chooses to see them as people to learn from and inspire her.  But it certainly will take an attitude adjustment on her part - and maybe we saw a glimmer of that at the end of the movie (or maybe that's wishful thinking on my part!).

I think that aside from Zach coming to understand his sexuality, he badly needed the friendship and company and warmth that Shaun offered.

Oh, I think this is an excellent point!  Zach and Shaun are similar in so many ways and you can see right away that they're compatible, even more so than Zach and Gabe.  Except for the class/money difference, they really don't have an "opposites attract" aspect to their relationship that you often see portrayed.  Both have a good sense of responsibility and common sense, both seem eager for a "family," neither one seem prone to melodrama, and I certainly wouldn't describe either of them as "high maintenance."   And, yeah, even though Shaun is older and more experienced, I can definitely see where Zach, in certain situations, would be able to offer guidance to Shaun.  A very nice balance.   

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
I wonder about Shaun's perspective, did his gaydar pick up on Zach? After the initial kiss and sleeping on the patio he wants to talk to him about it but Zach is having none of it, until he gets his nerve up and goes back. From then on Shaun is like "He dude come on out, the water is fine". He already knows the ups and downs of the process and seems ready to commit the required patience because he sees what he wants.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
==CONTAINS SPOILERS==

I finally saw SHELTER last night as part of the InsideOut film fest here in Toronto.   I really enjoyed it even though it felt a bit like an after-school propaganda piece.   The story was very predictable (almost from the start i wondered how they were going to make the mother disappear.) and I was disappointed that the straight couple had to be portrayed so negatively in order to make the gay couple acceptable parents by comparison.   I mean only the most rabid homophobe would object to Cody going off to live with Zach & Shaun.  Why do they have to make everything so black & white and obvious?   Having said that, the adorable lead, Trevor Wright (who reminded me of Jake G) is a revelation and IMO elevates and saves the film. The theatre was packed and people loved it like mad! 

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
==CONTAINS SPOILERS==

I finally saw SHELTER last night as part of the InsideOut film fest here in Toronto.   I really enjoyed it even though it felt a bit like an after-school propaganda piece.   The story was very predictable (almost from the start i wondered how they were going to make the mother disappear.) and I was disappointed that the straight couple had to be portrayed so negatively in order to make the gay couple acceptable parents by comparison.   I mean only the most rabid homophobe would object to Cody going off to live with Zach & Shaun.  Why do they have to make everything so black & white and obvious?   Having said that, the adorable lead, Trevor Wright (who reminded me of Jake G) is a revelation and IMO elevates and saves the film. The theatre was packed and people loved it like mad! 

That puts me in mind of this dynamic I see going on in that Shaun's wealthy, enlightened family is cool with his and his orientation and Zach's poor family living in the "ghetto" (aka the other side of the bridge) are all ignorant, drunk and medicated single mother with a neglected son. Not always the case in RL, but you know I'm not a scene writer,  ;)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 08:20:40 am by shakestheground »
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
I mean only the most rabid homophobe would object to Cody going off to live with Zach & Shaun.  Why do they have to make everything so black & white and obvious?

Sigh. I know. But the movie means well--and there are a LOT of homophobes.

Having said that, the adorable lead, Trevor Wright (who reminded me of Jake G) is a revelation and IMO elevates and saves the film.

I second that!

The theatre was packed and people loved it like mad!

Yay!

;D
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

mvansand76

Well, I think I'll be able to see this movie on Monday, thanks to Melissa. I can't wait to watch it!

I don't know what in the ding-dang-dingidy-dong I'm going to do between now and then. Hunker down and pray for daylight I guess.   :-\

I feel as if I'm experiencing withdrawal symptoms from this movie and I haven't even seen it yet!  :laugh: :laugh:

>:( >:(

Oh sweetie! I'm so sorry it didn't arrive today!!!!  :'(

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
Oh sweetie! I'm so sorry it didn't arrive today!!!!  :'(

I wonder where it is right now? It's probably sitting there at the post office. I'm tempted to go down there, sneak through a window and get it!  >:( >:(

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

injest

I wonder where it is right now? It's probably sitting there at the post office. I'm tempted to go down there, sneak through a window and get it!  >:( >:(

ummm....should we start collecting money to bail you out of jail right now or should we wait for the call??

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
ummm....should we start collecting money to bail you out of jail right now or should we wait for the call??

If it doesn't show up tomorrow, I really will creep in there probably.

I'll bet I could break into that post office if I tried hard enough. I'm a sneaky little shit. ;) :laugh:
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline mactwck

• Don't Say Much
I do have one small itty bitty complaint about the movie. Small itty bitty......

ZACH PLEASE PULL UP YOUR PANTS!!

It drives me crazy.  That is all. Sorry for the rant.