Author Topic: Shelter: The "gay surfer movie" (it's so much more!). See it now and discuss it!  (Read 323957 times)

mvansand76

Ok, here is a question:

After the bust up at the party, one of them goes surfing at that rocky place that Shaun calls his, that he took Zach to, is it Shaun or Zach?

I was wondering about that too!  :-\ Maybe as soon as somebody's DVD arrives we can ask that person to have a good look?

Gonna friend you now, John!

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
Ok, here is a question:

After the bust up at the party, one of them goes surfing at that rocky place that Shaun calls his, that he took Zach to, is it Shaun or Zach?

It's Zach, I think.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Gonna friend you now, John!

I've left my comments on your Gabe'n'Shaun page--thank you, Mel!  :-*
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Thought it was cute, decently acted and good-intentioned. Thought the story itself was pretty thin though, the emotionel depth of what they must have gone through never came across, I thought. But on the whole, enjoyable.

Fair enough, Buffymon--this is not my usual cup of tea, either! And you are quite right--the story is pretty thin--

Except--

I have to say--

I think that Trevor Wright as Zach, Brad Rowe as Shaun, and yes, even Tina Holmes as the downright unattractive Jeanne, were just so good--Trevor especially. No, strike that, brilliant (in re Trevor, and I have to stop thinking that he is Zach)!

I think that the story is so cliché-thin that, despite everything, the actors, the characters, the people, took over, and created a full emotional world that seems truthful, touching, and real.

Like you, I have no more than 2 cents in the pot and I threw them in, anyway.

Like the title of this thread, my feeling is: "Shelter: The "gay surfer movie" (it's so much more!)"

Thanks for thinking enough about the story--and the characters--to comment!

:)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2008, 10:57:19 pm by jmmgallagher »
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • A love that will never grow old
Fair enough, Buffymon--this is not my usual cup of tea, either! And you are quite right--the story is pretty thin--

Except--

I have to say--

I think that Trevor Wright as Zach, Brad Rowe as Shaun, and yes, even Tina Holmes as the downright unattractive Jeanne, were just so good--Trevor especially. No, strike that, brilliant (in re Trevor, and I have to stop thinking that he is Zach)!

I think that the story is so cliché-thin that, despite everything, the actors, the characters, the people, took over, and created a full emotional world that seems truthful, touching, and real.

Like the title of this thread, my feeling is: "Shelter: The "gay surfer movie" (it's so much more!)"

Thanks for those wonderful two cents John!
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

mvansand76

Except--

I have to say--

Wonderful, couldn't agree more. To be honest, the story is not cliche in my view, I have never in fact seen or read a story like it! And it worked so well because of the chemistry between the leads...

injest

for me it was great in that the main 'problem' wasnt' that they were gay....being gay was just part of who they were. We need more movies like this...

mvansand76

for me it was great in that the main 'problem' wasnt' that they were gay....being gay was just part of who they were. We need more movies like this...

Totally agree! Zach's struggle was much more external than internal. He was shaken by the kiss, but it wasn't until Jeanne confronted him about Shaun in the shower that he started to worry about what had happened. Then after they made love, there really wasn't any struggle, the fact that he left so sudden almost seemed to be because he couldn't wait to start painting that mural! It was so cute....

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Had an email this morning my DVD has been shipped!

I think that their being gay was no problem for anyone except Zach, and only because Jeanne made a big deal out of it, and because he was involved with his best friends brother. Once he got past his own fears they were safe in the valhalla of that mansion, until Gabe showed up and Zach cracked under the strain.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

injest

I like to hear other people's interpretations...I thought he was upset because he was with his best friends brother! LOL!!

I was thinking "If this was my best friend and I was in bed with HER older brother I sure wouldnt' want her to catch us!". I didn't see it as being as much about the gay thing as the best friend thing..although there WAS some of that in it.