Author Topic: Shelter: The "gay surfer movie" (it's so much more!). See it now and discuss it!  (Read 323940 times)

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
I found that toward the end they were cutting up and having such a good time that things that I had hoped they would comment on was slipping by unnoticed. O-well.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Don't you just love their voices?  :P

Yes. Yes, I do! Especially Brad's voice. It's kind of breaking sometimes, as if he was teenager. It's quite sweet. And I'm very suprised at Trevor's deep voice. How old is he in real life? It doesn't say on IMDb.

j. U. d. E.
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
I found that toward the end they were cutting up and having such a good time that things that I had hoped they would comment on was slipping by unnoticed. O-well.

Too true! But you have that in most commentaries I find. Some things they say, were really interesting though.. And what was that bit when Trevor says about 'screen kisses' he's done, that he's not used to have the person opposite him, sticking their tongue in his mouth... tststs.. Brad oh Brad!  ;D

j. U. d. E.
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

mvansand76

Too true! But you have that in most commentaries I find. Some things they say, were really interesting though.. And what was that bit when Trevor says about 'screen kisses' he's done, that he's not used to have the person opposite him, sticking their tongue in his mouth... tststs.. Brad oh Brad!  ;D

j. U. d. E.

LOL! That was so funny and yes, I loved his voice breaking sometimes, he has that lazy California drawl which I love, it's very sexy!

Totally agree with you too, Truman, I was sometimes thinking "shut up about that and tell us about the scene!"

I loooooved the "Those waves are gorgeous" Nathan Lane thing! Hahahaha, that was too cute....

Offline libertine

• Don't Say Much
i love this movie

injest

i love this movie

You pobably can't tell.....but there is one or two people here that like it a bit too!!  ;) ;)

Welcome to Bettermost!!!

It is light and airy and happy....I really enjoyed it too. Do you have the DVD??

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
Greetings, greetings all!  :)

Okay, so I was at the video store two weeks or so ago and picked up a copy of Shelter.
I only got around to watching it last night.

It made me hungry for the ocean and boy, I so wish I could surf.

Anyway, the movie...
I really enjoyed it.  It was uncomplicated in a refreshing sort of way and I thought there was great chemistry between the male leads.

I loved the little moments:   
* Like when Zach and Shaun first meet; there are little pauses in the conversation during which you can't help but feel the crackling tension between them.
* After their first night together, when Zach is driving home, it is almost as if he is exhaling at long last; he can't help but break into a smile that seems to say, 'I can't believe I made it at last.'  I know that feeling well.  I could relate; almost got me all teary then.

The character of Gabe was interesting.  He was clearly accepting of his brother's sexuality and was fine when he discovered Zach was sleeping with him.  All good stuff.  But when he starting talking about men 'giving better head' and 'what about that guy?  you find him attractive..[in reference to a passer-by]', he managed to reduce such a big turning-point in Zach's life into nothing more than sex.  That said, when Gabe was leaving the diner, he said to Zach, "Hey, we're still bros, alright.." and gives him a big hug.  That was heartwarming.  :)

All in all, good movie.  Glad I got the dvd.  I expect I'll pop it in and watch the film again in the very near future.

~M

p/s:  I was wondering - why did they stop to buy Cody flipflops before heading out to Shaun's place?  That scene seemed a little random to me. lol.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.

p/s:  I was wondering - why did they stop to buy Cody flipflops before heading out to Shaun's place?  That scene seemed a little random to me. lol.

An earlier scene showed the brother taking off Cody's shoes after he fell asleep and noticing that they were all holely or too small or something. It shows the little things he did for his brother.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.

I really enjoyed it.  It was uncomplicated in a refreshing sort of way and I thought there was great chemistry between the male leads.

Hey Milli, glad you liked it! I think you hit the nail on the head, it was simple and relaxed and the chemestry between the two really showed.

There was a scene, I think the first Walkie Talkie scene (FWTS) when Shauns battery goes dead and Zach goes over to tuck in Cody he pulls off his shoes and regards them in a way like "time to get some new ones". When he takes Cody with him to dinner I think the paternal instinct kicks in and he wants his boy to look his best to impress Shaun, so he stops and gets him some newer ones.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
Hey T & Lee,

Good point.  I forgot about the scene where he removes Cody's shoes as he sleeps.

This thread is over 50 pages long..dang, would be nice to read it all, but I don't got no time right now to go through everything.
I gotta watch it again, no doubt, to pick up on the little details I missed the first time.

So, how many times has everyone seen the movie?  8)  Lee, T...?