Author Topic: Shelter: The "gay surfer movie" (it's so much more!). See it now and discuss it!  (Read 323971 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Can one get Shelter movie, as CD ?

injest

Can one get Shelter movie, as CD ?

yep! you can!

(DVD)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
I think it is well worth getting the DVD, Artiste.  It's a truly lovely story, full of heart.  I see it as about the family you make versus your family of origin.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
I have the DVD, loved the movie!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
Be sure to watch it with the commentary on. It is wonderful to here Rowe, Wright and Markowich talk about makeing the movie, especially the love scene where Brad Rowe say: "I give great head."  :-* :laugh:
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
This first post by piano has some again relevant information about MPAA ratings, since A Single Man also received an R rating.

...MPAA rating and censorship issues: I think the "R" rating was more for language than for the sex scene or gay content. There are a couple dozen f-bombs in the dialogue, and the MPAA usually only permits about 1-3 in a PG-13 movie. If you watch the trailer, which was approved for all audiences (meaning the MPAA considered it to have G-rated content!), it is carefully edited to convey that this is a gay-themed movie. Several Zach-Shaun kisses (cut just before their lips meet), as well as scenes of them in bed together, are shown in the preview ... but no one says the word "gay."

It appears to me that here! has targeted the marketing and distribution of this film to gay audiences. I think many straight folk will quickly put this movie back on the shelf after seeing the cover art, which shows two men lying in bed together giving each other loving looks. If this film had been promoted differently, with wider distribution, different posters, etc., it could have had mainstream cross-over appeal (like "Brokeback Mountain"). This marketing approach also may explain why the big-box chain stores didn't pick up this title.

I seldom see independent gay cinema titles in big-box stores like Circuit City or Best Buy. Chain stores will carry some gay-themed major studio productions (such as "Wilde," "Capote," "Brokeback Mountain," and "The Birdcage"), but not the indie stuff. I've had the best luck finding independent gay-themed titles through mail-order, or in gay bookstores. I prefer not to think of this as a shameful / closeted thing, so much as a specialized thing. It's also good for the community to patronize independent businesses. If the chain stores don't see profit$ from selling independent gay movies, there are independent businesses who believe in the value of this genre and will gladly sell us the movies we want!

"chewing gum and duct tape"

• BetterMost Supporter!
They tore down the IGA to make way for Condos......

• BetterMost Supporter!
The other night I was watching this Movie, The 13th Floor which came out in 2006. I was surprised to see Zach's house in it at one point.

Here is the trailer, I didn't see the house in it but the bridge is used and appears at 1:30. It is a good, thought pre-volking movie.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkEHcB4y7R8[/youtube]

Offline Rickyp30

• Don't Say Much
I think Jeanne gets a little bit more growth than that. The part about this scene that made me start to tear up was after they talk about CalArts, and the conversation goes a bit like this:
Zach: "He (Cody) will be fine with us. Or stay, it's your choice."
Jeanne: "Zach... if this thing with Allen doesn't work out, it's best that he's here with you."
Zach: "... He's in good hands, I promise."
Jeanne: "... yeah..."
In the following embrace, Jeanne seems on the verge of crying. I think she begins to realize that Cody is her son, whom she gave life of her own life, and she DOES actually care about what happens to him even if she has been unable to take responsibility for raising him, and finally an acknowledgment of everything that Zach has done. And yet she decides to leave anyway, it makes it even sadder when we switch to see the three boys watching her drive off. I'd be willing to bet that if the camera had panned over to see the car driving away, we might have seen Jeanne looking wistfully back at them.

I don't think Jeanne ever cared for anyone but herself her tears when she left wasn't for her son. It was a act that should couldn't control Zach anymore. Zach woke up we saw what Jeanne did when she said Shaun was only using Zach. Zach was finally happy and was applying again to CALARTS that was what Zach mom wanted that was her dream was much as Zach's but that ruined Jeanne's plans why you think when he told Jeanne he was re applying she said again we cant do that. No one in my family has ever discouraged us from trying to better our selves she did cause she didn't want Zach too she wanted Zach to stay cause if he left she couldn't control him. Only Shaun believed in Zach and loved im IMO. Any any of you want fan stories their is a site fanfiction.net with shelter stories...