Author Topic: Proulx "these characters began to get very damn real"  (Read 24058 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Proulx "these characters began to get very damn real"
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2008, 07:28:16 pm »
Thanks optom!

You say:
And so for me Ennis and Jack became very real.In a way I have not experienced before.

Fiona:
to that I agree. Si... yes, many persons do that too.

Do these charactors (Ennis, Jack, Alma, Lureen, etc.), become more real-like every day??

The more I dwell about Annie/the BM movie, the more each become real!! ?? Wonder if that is ss with most persons??

Hugs! Or is it spiritual meaning?? Or a dream we want each to realise??

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2008, 08:02:33 pm »
what AP was discussing may be something that happens to some authors, as they continue to internalize their characters.

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2008, 09:06:44 pm »
what AP was discussing may be something that happens to some authors, as they continue to internalize their characters.
Yes that is exactly what she is saying.However she states that although she had heard othe writers ,talk of this phenomenon,it was new to her.
I found that very interesting,as this was by no means her first,story.
I wondered if this was the reason that the film and ss became so real to so many of us.
It must have been a very powerful thing for Proulx to experience after so many years of writing,to suddenly find the characters becomming real to her.It was certainly the first time for me, as both a reader and film goer, to find  characters who not only semed real,but started to invade my life.From dawn to dusk.
Could it be that what Proulx experienced was so powerful,that when coupled with truly beyond words acting,that it transmitted to us the audience.
It certainly seemed so in some measure to me.I do not think sadly that I will ever be that affected again by a film.To this day it still is pervasive in so many aspects of my life.
Thanks to BetterMost I now feel blessed to have felt so,instead of a little crazy.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2008, 09:10:41 pm »
Yes that is exactly what she is saying.However she states that although she had heard othe writers ,talk of this phenomenon,it was new to her.
I found that very interesting,as this was by no means her first,story.
I wondered if this was the reason that the film and ss became so real to so many of us.
It must have been a very powerful thing for Proulx to experience after so many years of writing,to suddenly find the characters becomming real to her.It was certainly the first time for me, as both a reader and film goer, to find  characters who not only semed real,but started to invade my life.From dawn to dusk.
Could it be that what Proulx experienced was so powerful,that when coupled with truly beyond words acting,that it transmitted to us the audience.
It certainly seemed so in some measure to me.I do not think sadly that I will ever be that affected again by a film.To this day it still is pervasive in so many aspects of my life.Thanks to BetterMost I now feel blessed to have felt so,instead of a little crazy.

perhaps on the other hand, you will look at films differently from now on, and gain more from the experiences.

first being moved so strongly by a work of art, or literature, that one becomes obsessive over it is a treasured experience. it is like your first love, it can never really be replicated and it becomes a closely guarded memory.

Offline optom3

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2008, 09:49:05 pm »
perhaps on the other hand, you will look at films differently from now on, and gain more from the experiences.

first being moved so strongly by a work of art, or literature, that one becomes obsessive over it is a treasured experience. it is like your first love, it can never really be replicated and it becomes a closely guarded memory.

That is such a good analogy.I love it.I have struggled to put into words what seeing the film for the 1st time was like,and it is exactly like first love.I stiil love/ache with every subsequent viewing,but although other films may well affect me in the future,they will never replicate that BBM experience.It is a treasured memory and experience.And indeed a closely guarded precious thing.Just like my first love,certain,songs or smells or other things remind me of BBM.It is like a comforter which I hug to myself from time to time.
Thankyou for so eloquently describing it for me.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2008, 10:23:11 pm »
That is all well optom and brokeplex!!

But why are they getting to be more and more like REAL ??

Hugs!

Offline optom3

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2008, 10:39:24 pm »
That is all well optom and brokeplex!!

Hugs!

I think for me they become more real,because they have now come to represent some unresolved issues in my life.They have now become synonomous with those issues.The issues are very real, ergo so are Jack and Ennis.I can no longer seperate them.
They are now the very visualisation of those things,and the fact that I can watch the film whenever I want,just makes them even more tangible.It has become art imitating life for me.It is also further complicated by the fact that I fell in love with Jack and Ennis and my unresolved isues,involve love.So it becomes like the eternal triangle.
I cannot speak for others,but that is how it is for me.I know my love (problem )is real,and by asociation so is my love for Jack and Ennis.My love has not faded over time,indeed has grown stronger,so it seems logical that for me Jack and Ennis grow more real daily.Now it could be that for others there is some strong asociation,which "feeds" and nurtures the growing reality.As I have said in other posts.Our imagination is our most powerful tool.If we choose to use it to its fullest extent.
After all when some one dies they are no longer physically here,but that does not stop our love.We love then a physically intangible thing.How much more real are Jack and Ennis when we watch them on film.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2008, 06:44:07 am »

I love this.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2008, 08:14:20 am »
I love this.

i agree, I had to post  it on my LJ, with all due credit of course

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • There ain't never enough time...
    • NeonBlue Dreams
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2008, 09:39:12 am »

That, I don't know, only that with each day they become more and more real to me. Maybe as Optom says it's unresolved issues, maybe it's the mirror effect, maybe the fact that they're not perfect, it's not a perfect love story, they're human, with faults, and they made mistakes as we all do. I just thank daily whoever's up there in that big blue sky that Annie wrote about them and they became real to her, and that Ang Lee and Larry McMurty and Diana Ossana translated them so beautifully to the screen.

From the start they've been real to me, but my "epiphany" happened last week at work (and coincidentally I was sitting exactly where I was when I heard the news about Heath's death). For the past couple of months I've been saying that I'm definitely going to put aside time to make progress on my novel, which I've been kind of working on ever since I was at college, and the characters in that long ago became "real" to me - they chatter away in my head when I'm trying to do other stuff, don't do as I expect them to, and join me for a chat at work when I pop out for a smoke. These last few weeks though I've been vaguely toying with the idea of writing a fanfic of my own, but just toying with the idea.

One lunch time though, fortunately when everyone else was out of the office, because otherwise they'd have thought I was crazy, Jack and Ennis were suddenly more real than they'd ever been before to me, and they were talking in my head. I was trying to work, and I ended up sitting with my head in my hands, with my hands over my ears, talking out loud and saying, "PLEASE guys, keep it down will ya? I'm trying to work here! Come back tonight, I don't care how late, but I NEED to get this finished, so just give me a break, huh?"

The afternoon passed in a daze, and all afternoon I was wearing this big grin because Jack and Ennis are REAL!

I don't "get" a lot about religion, and I've never believed myself, but I'm beginning to see how those who do believe can have 'visions' and revelations get so intense about wanting to share their beliefs with others.

"No matter how hard you try, You're still in prison, If ya born with wings and you never fly."