Author Topic: misconceptions  (Read 14228 times)

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: misconceptions
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 10:06:55 pm »
A lot of people when we first moved here,thought we must have met the Queen as we were from England!!!! or Princess Diana when she was alive.
Our accent was often confused with Aussie or south africa.
Not a misconception but there were some language problems as well.Funnily enough acceptance and understanding of bi polar has been much better here than in England.
Oh an everyone expected us to have rotten teeth!!!!!

Offline MsMercury

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 10:25:09 pm »
Well I have heard the thing about bad teeth but i've also heard that same thing about Japan.  That's a terrible misconception to have!
Oh and another misconception that people have about me is that because I'm southern, I must live on a farm. Even better, when I say I live in Florida, some people assume I live in a little stucco house on the beach with pink flamingos in the front yard! ::)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 10:32:49 pm »
Boy, girl.... what a thread!

So interesting, that I smiled reading during reading each posts!!

May I turn the question around?

I wonder what misconception(s) you have about moi, yes me??

Pray do tell, if maybe one comes to mind! Don't be shy!

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2008, 11:02:50 pm »
Even better, when I say I live in Florida, some people assume I live in a little stucco house on the beach with pink flamingos in the front yard! ::)

Well......dont you.......???? :laugh: :laugh:
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline MsMercury

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2008, 11:31:41 pm »
Well......dont you.......???? :laugh: :laugh:

LOL! No but I do live about 2 miles from the Gulf of Mexico and there is a palm tree in our yard. It's scraggly and rats live in it. There. Does that blow your image of Florida palm trees?  :laugh:

Offline MsMercury

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2008, 11:31:20 am »
Palmetto bugs love to live in those big oaks too.  I hate those things too!

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2008, 09:59:27 am »

As a gay man, the common misconception about gay men, from straight people, that I've often heard, is that if the gay man is big 'n' butch, he MUST,  automatically be sexually dominant. And that if the gay man is cute, slim and pretty, he MUST definitely  be sexually passive.

WROOOOOOOOOOOOONG!  :o

In my vast experience of more years than I care to count (and I can only speak for Australian gay men here), the bigger and butcher (??? - you know what I mean!!!) a man is, the more likely it is he's gunna just wanna lie back in bed and be adored. And I am more than happy to oblige!!!  ;)   :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2008, 04:09:17 am »
well, i have several lesbian friends, and one in paticular said to me "it really sucks when i hang out with you or any straight girl 'cause automatically people that know us automatically think 'something's going on', when really, i'm just hanging out with another girl...."
when she said this, i realized that it's so true.  i've never thought about it before, but people i know might get the wrong impression if  i start hanging out with another man, since i'm married, and yet i never thought about my gay friend as also being thought of as .....well.......'someone of concern'....(you know what i mean) like a 'threat' to my marriage, when all along, i simply just consider it hanging out with any other girl, but people don't always see it that way.  not that i care, but just something i never really thought about before.  people think crazy things sometimes........

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2008, 08:40:45 am »
well, i have several lesbian friends, and one in paticular said to me "it really sucks when i hang out with you or any straight girl 'cause automatically people that know us automatically think 'something's going on', when really, i'm just hanging out with another girl...."
when she said this, i realized that it's so true.  i've never thought about it before, but people i know might get the wrong impression if  i start hanging out with another man, since i'm married, and yet i never thought about my gay friend as also being thought of as .....well.......'someone of concern'....(you know what i mean) like a 'threat' to my marriage, when all along, i simply just consider it hanging out with any other girl, but people don't always see it that way.  not that i care, but just something i never really thought about before.  people think crazy things sometimes........

Several years ago, a cute guy came to my office to work. We had to work closely together and over a period of time, as we exchanged pleasantries, discovered we had a lot in common. From very early on, it became abundantly clear to me that he was very heterosexual. But he was also gay-friendly, had worked with gay people in the past and had lived in West Hollywood, whilst working as a chef, before coming to work in my office in Sydney, as a public servant.

We had lunch together a couple of times to start with and this progressed to having lunch together every day. And then we started seeing each other on the weekend occasionally and also had dinner together a couple of times each month.

He knew I was gay and we were always very honest with each other about our personal sexual proclivities, without being explicitly gross about the details. He was of mixed Italio-Hungarian heritage and was very sexy.

Because I respected his friendship so much (besides the fact that he was so overtly straight), I never made a pass at him - and nor did I want to (well, maybe just a little bit, early on in our friendship!).

I'm very open about my sexuality at work, I've worked there for 28 years, and everyone knows I'm gay. It wasn't until after my friend had resigned and moved onto anther job that I started to hear the rumours. Apparently it had been widely believed, for years, that we were an item. Even my boss, a lesbian, thought we were bumping uglies. They were all wrong. We were just friends. Platonic friends.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2008, 09:14:55 am »
One misconception I don't like is when people tell me I speak Mexican very well, when "Mexican" is not a language. The language is Spanish. When I was living in Wisconsin and New York people congratulated me for 5 de mayo and that date means nothing to me.

Also some people get so surprised that I'm really not into hot spicy food. Not all hispanic countries have hot spicy food or tacos or burritos in their daily diet.

There are so many misconceptions, especially in the USA, about hispanic people and the general culture. The worst part is that a lot of white and black American citizens show little interest in learning about the culture and the people. It's like we don't exist. There's also a lot of racism. Not everybody is racist of course but it is a sad reality.  :-\
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 12:01:01 pm by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.