Author Topic: misconceptions  (Read 14231 times)

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
misconceptions
« on: March 16, 2008, 12:56:25 am »
i can't remember where i saw or read this interview.......maybe oprah?  anyways, jake g. said after the movie people were coming up to him saying "wow....in the movie, you were like 'the woman' of the relationship, and heath was like the man"....and jake said, "when i heard that, i was like what are you talking about?"  (or,in other words, WTF?) 
so, i'm asking my fellow brokies what's the biggest misconception, or most off the wall thing someone has ever said to you, or thought about you, regarding your sexuality, your beliefs, your personality, your sexual orientation, your race, your disorder, or anything else that is often thrown in a box and labelled by the general public?

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
Re: misconceptions
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 03:33:10 am »
I am very aware of my "true blue, dinky-di, gidday how ya goin' mate" Aussie accent, so was quite flabergasted one time, when someone asked me if I was South African.   ::) ::)
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 01:28:04 pm »
I am very aware of my "true blue, dinky-di, gidday how ya goin' mate" Aussie accent, so was quite flabergasted one time, when someone asked me if I was South African.   ::) ::)

ha ha. lol.  i could see myself asking something like that.  i can be awfully dumb when it comes to accents.  ....but, australian is kinda obvious.

i've been  asked how often i say "eh" and "isn't canada always just covered in snow?  is there igloos and stuff?"

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 02:28:30 pm »
I was with a group of people one in a northern city in the US and was asked where I was from . I told them Virginia and then I was asked if I had a maid.

I wish I had been fast enough to say: "According to Neil Young I need one."
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 02:49:59 pm »
I was with a group of people one in a northern city in the US and was asked where I was from . I told them Virginia and then I was asked if I had a maid.

I wish I had been fast enough to say: "According to Neil Young I need one."

lol.  good one!  funny what people think.

i'm wondering, from the quote from jake. g. in the first post, has anyone had experiences with misconceptions about being gay?  like that 'man/woman role' or anything else?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 03:00:29 pm »

I was once telling a friend about a sensitivity-training session I'd attended at work (everyone was required to go), where we were asked to talk about the first time we met someone of a different race. I grew up in an almost all-white middle-class suburb, so I didn't have any black classmates until high school.

When I mentioned that to my friend, who also grew up in a Midwestern suburb but in a city further South and a wealthier family, she asked, "Well, what about your maid??"

It was so funny! Little did my friend know that a) nobody I knew as a kid, even families far richer than mine, had full-time maids and b) if they did employ any cleaning person whatsoever, like maybe to come in for a couple of hours once a week or something, s/he would almost certainly have been white.

Offline MsMercury

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 08:12:48 pm »
Misconceptions? Well people assume because I'm southern that I'm ignorant and slept with my brother or my cousins.  :laugh:
I can't believe people assume such a thing! Marrying within the bloodline was a European thing too. It kept the royal bloodline going. I remember one of my teachers in high school talking about it and saying, "Can you imagine some of the kings and queens they must have had being the products of incest??"  I remember watching Gone With the Wind and the mention of people marrying their cousins. I don't know the history very well but I think well to do families did that in the south many years ago. I'm not entirely sure so don't hold me to that. I've lived in the south all my life and have never net anyone who married a cousin!

Offline Katie77

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 09:31:43 pm »
Misconceptions? Well people assume because I'm southern that I'm ignorant and slept with my brother or my cousins.  :laugh:
I can't believe people assume such a thing! Marrying within the bloodline was a European thing too. It kept the royal bloodline going.

And if you look at some of them in the Royal Family there is plenty of justification in NOT continuing with the practice....

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 09:36:13 pm »
When I moved from Illinois to Connecticut right at the beginning of high school... the kids in my CT high school just couldn't get their heads around what it meant to be from a Chicago suburb.  They thought I grew up on a farm, milking cows and raising corn... literally a lot of them did. 

I think region to region there are lots of goofy misconceptions with in the U.S.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Katie77

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 09:54:19 pm »
When I moved from Illinois to Connecticut right at the beginning of high school... the kids in my CT high school just couldn't get their heads around what it meant to be from a Chicago suburb.  They thought I grew up on a farm, milking cows and raising corn... literally a lot of them did. 

I think region to region there are lots of goofy misconceptions with in the U.S.

Funny....I just read that, and had my own misconception....I'm an Aussie, and when I think of Chicago, my first thought is gangsters and  Al Capone.........and I realize how stupid that is......

No doubt, there are just as many about Australia.....