Author Topic: misconceptions  (Read 14222 times)

Offline MsMercury

• Sr. Ranch Hand
Re: misconceptions
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2008, 11:16:14 am »
I share your phobia of palmetto bugs and i've lived in northwest Florida most of my life. I cannot sleep if I know there is one lurking around. I must kill it because I have a phobia of having one crawl in my ear.  :o
We do have lovebugs here though. They are seasonal.

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2008, 12:00:06 pm »
There was an ER episode about the bug in the ear.  I worry about that too.  I am too afraid to kill them though.  Someone else has to be my savior.

OMG I hated them before now I am really creeped out.There was one in the lanai just the other day and I freaked.It was dead and I still could not go near it.Oldest son to the rescue.
However,back in Engalnd our very old Farmhouse was riddled with huge spiders which dont do a lot for me either.So I can't win.Also I could not go out at night,as I am terrified of bats,and we had a lot of them as well.We also had flying ants yuk and these things called may bugs whch swarmed once a year,They are a bit like palmetto bugs and they just bombard you and your house,grosss.
The more I write I just sound like a wimp!!!
Basically if it is not fluffy with 4 legs I am not very keen.!!! I have to try and not pass this on to the kids which is not easy.Funnily enough my daughter is not too bad.It is my middle son who freaks,like me.Oldest is not bothered by anything.Since Father Xmas wrote to him age 8 and told him he would no longer be afraid!!!!!
The power of suggestion and pschology.He no longer believes it was Father Xmas who wrote!!! but his phobias have long since gone.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2008, 12:00:52 pm »
There was an ER episode about the bug in the ear.  I worry about that too.  I am too afraid to kill them though.  Someone else has to be my savior.

They squish too much for me to kill them.  Then not only do I have to get rid of the carcass, I have to clean up their guts as well.  ICK  :P

My entomology prof said that was because big water bugs like that had a lot of insect fat in them, which is why they squished so much.

Now, like MsMercury, I cannot sleep if one is on the loose in the house.  My brave bug-eating cats  ;D  usually take care of anything that moves in the house, but if the bug outsmarts them, I take a broom, beat the thing senseless, then toss it outside away from my apartment.

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2008, 08:00:05 pm »
When I first came out, my brother asked if this meant i was going to marry a man.  I said yes.  He asked if that meant one of us would wear a wedding gown.

::)

I told him 'no', but that if I asked him to be in the party, he'd have to wear pink taffeta.  He said 'whut?'    he had no idea what that was.

wasted a great joke on him.  :D

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2008, 08:10:08 pm »
Quote from: SunShadow
I am a native Floridian and can't stand palm trees.  They are not native to Florida, attract palmetto bugs (of which I am phobic) and are all trunk and little foliage.

Funny — that reminds me of the insult: "all hat and no cattle".   As in, "he's all trunk and no foliage."

Hmm...  Then again maybe that would be a compliment?  Hee.    :P   ;)

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2008, 08:13:51 pm »

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2008, 08:18:59 pm »
When I first came out, my brother asked if this meant i was going to marry a man.  I said yes.  He asked if that meant one of us would wear a wedding gown.
 ::)
I told him 'no', but that if I asked him to be in the party, he'd have to wear pink taffeta.  He said 'whut?'    he had no idea what that was.
wasted a great joke on him.  :D

That wasn't wasted on us though!  Good one!!    ;D

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2008, 08:22:06 pm »
Ok, how about this for a misconception...

the pic I posted says "Palmeto bug attacks"

attacks? ?   :o

what...do they swarm upon people and then eat them?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2008, 01:08:58 am »
I cannot sleep if one is on the loose in the house. 

Oh, that's for sure. When I lived in Louisiana, I could live with regular cockroaches (unpleasant as they are, and I later learned they had much to do with our neighbors' nonexistent cleaning habits).

But a huge, flying cockroach? Forget it.

One time, one of those palmetto bugs was crawling across the floor. I put a stoneware planter on top of it, expecting that would kill it off. Then I finished watching L.A. Law. An hour later, when I went over to take the stoneware planter off (assuming I'd be doing a bug disposal/burial) the bug just continued crawling across the floor.

Yuck.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2008, 07:53:58 pm »
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Npi7zlTZyv0[/youtube]

ewwwwwwww