Author Topic: Neighbors -- Nice, Not, or Nosy?  (Read 30382 times)

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Neighbors -- Nice, Not, or Nosy?
« on: March 23, 2008, 09:19:15 am »
Unless you live in the country or have more than a regular city lot -- you have neighbors who share your air. What kind of neighbors do you have? Are they strangers, acquaintances, friends, nice, nosy, etc. -- maybe one of each of the sides and front and back? Some of your neighbors may even be relatives.

Ennis was wary of neighbors (and even people who drove by). How do you feel about your neighbors?

Here is an article about post-divorce dating and neighbors. I think a lot of it can apply to just plain dating too.

http://msn.match.com/msn/article.aspx?articleid=9351&TrackingID=516311&BannerID=544657&menuid=7&GT1=26000

I liked this part about some ways to respond to unwelcome questions:

Joke about it

Another technique, though I’m not sure I have the guts to try it, is to disarm the busybody with humor. Ross Jeffries, a former comedy writer and self-described “arrogant S.O.B,” says if someone asks him something like, “Who were you with the other night?” he responds with one of the following goofy comebacks:

“I don’t know. I make it a policy to NEVER ask their names.”

“My imaginary friend... wait, you can see her, too?”

“I’m interviewing for (name of ex goes here)’s replacement. That was some temporary help.”

“Why do you want to know? Are you hot for me?”

“Oh, that’s just my court-appointed therapist. We’re working on my rage disorder.”

Do you have any good nosy neighbor or nosy relative stories that you want to tell us?
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
Re: Neighbors -- Nice, Not, or Nosy?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 09:33:55 am »
I live on a corner, so my neighbors on the north and east are across the street. My neighbors on the north change constantly. A 6-unit condo sits there and people are always moving in and out, so I don't usually know them.

One of them came over and asked me for $2.00 for cigarettes. She was on crutches and she came up the steps to my porch. I gave her the money and helped her down. I could just see her falling down those steps and suing me. She and her daughter and grandkids moved that week.

Sometimes there is a quiet group who have all moved in. Right now they are pretty noisy and a lot of their trash blows over into my yard.

Once a guy with 2 gigantic pit bulls moved in. He walked them and he had me pet them one day. He said the city was giving him grief for having them in town and he was going to move back to the country. The guy was nice and I'm sure the dogs were well behaved in his presence, but he said they'd bitten a couple of people, so I don't think kids would be safe around them. I was glad he moved.

One day a brother and sister came over to talk to me while I was putting out flowers. The girl was about 9 and the boy was about 6. She told me that her little brother had been looking in people's mailboxes. I was calm, but I told him to never, ever do that again because it was a crime and he could be put in jail. (Well, I didn't want him in my stuff!!) You don't want to go to jail, do you I asked him. No -- he didn't -- he said his daddy was already in jail. So--he didn't have a role model, bless his heart. One day they missed the bus, their mom was already gone to work, and it was raining, so I took them to school. Latchkey kids. I miss them.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 03:02:22 pm »
i've got the nosiest neighbor in the world.  drives me nuts.  we're on a 'smile-but-don't-like-you' basis.

she gives my kids her older kids hand-me-down clothing, which sounds nice, but the stuff is crap.  i mean real crap...so it makes more of a hassle for me to throw out.  she once gave me two sun hats for my girls, but the hats had her kids names sewn into them.  what the hell would i want with that? why would i want my daughter to have a hat with the name JENNA in big bold red letters across it when her name is carlie?

i was doing some target shooting in my fenced in backyard with a  bbgun with plastic pellets.  i was shooting into a container made to capture pellets, and the direction of the shoot was towards open grass, so even if i missed, the pellet goes nowhere,.....nowhere near her fence, and she poked her head out of the window ..."what on earth are you doing?"
i said "target practicing"
she said, "oh my!  why would you do that?"

why??????????? gee ...i dunno...  ummmmm, 'cause some people like to .  maybe it's a hobby?  what kinda question is that?  she even asked if it was legal.  yeah, my husband is a cop, so as if i'd engage in illegal activity.  she probably thought it was a 12 gage shotgun!  dummass!
normally, i'd be more respectfull of someone who was generally inquiring, simply out of concern, or interest, but this lady is a freak.  here's another example about her paranoia:

you know those syringe things that dentists give you when you've had a tooth extraction?  you fill them with water, and they have a loop-like pointy end to them to rinse out the cavity with water?  well, i guess i had an old one and my kids were using it to fill with water, and squirt it.  well, my neighbor found it on my lawn, and ran in and told her husband that we had syringes on our lawn!  doesn't even resemble a freakin' needle.  yeah, me and my cop husband are your new herion-shootin-crak-smokin-grow op.- neighbors!  wanna buy some drugs????
i mean, granted, just because my husband is a cop, doesn't make him a saint, and there are cops who do illegal things, but com'on....  get a grip lady!

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 05:42:56 pm »
we're on a 'smile-but-don't-like-you' basis.

:laugh:  8)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 07:06:32 pm »
i even told her i watched brokback, and i thought she was going to have a heartattack.  "we don't watch movies with nudity or sex scenes"

:laugh:
whatever lady!

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 07:07:43 pm »
Interesting subject Shasta!

Did you forget to add that some neighbours are just criminals ??

Pretending to be neighbours??

Happy Easter!!

Hugs!

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 07:27:23 pm »
Well, Forsythia -- they must watch all G's. That's fine with little kids, but she and the husband could watch some R's!  ;)

Artiste -- when I lived in the country, my closest neighbors were out of prison -- they'd been in for meth manufacturing. That was an experience. The police came to my house a couple of times by mistake!! I told them -- I think you want the people down the road.  :P

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Artiste

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 07:33:48 pm »
Thanks  Shasta!

You say:
police came to my house a couple of times by mistake!!

Shasta: that happened to me too a few times. They even woke me up at times too, even if I went to the door naked!! I would eventually tell them why do you come here??  And finnally told them: take me off your list, and they did!!

I had troubles too with Jehovah Witnesses too!! Did you? I solved mine! Want to know how? Guess...

Hugs!

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 05:36:57 pm »
Over the road report me to the association continuously.so they are a big no no.Next door one side are  snow birds so only here for a short time.Next door the other side,very elderly,dont think I have seen them more than twice in 2 years.So I guess I am realtively lucky.I have never been that sociable with neighbours really.Just because they live next to you,does mean you are going to like them.
I think I like to think my home is my castle,private.To that end we planted massive hedges all round,not long after we moved in.That and to hide the kids toys that we were reported for having in the garden.
If I had really thought it through ,a gated community with all its silly rules was the last place for me to live happily.But we chose it as there were a lot of kids here,and thought for our kids moving from England it would be good.In that sense it has been.But I have made no friends here.The one friend I have made, lives in a much more rural area,much like I did in England.Now that suited me,cows and sheep were my neighbours then!!!!!!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 06:19:57 pm »
Yes, some places we move to, it's terribly hard to make friend in the neighbourhood!

At others, OK, a bit!

Criminal neighbours... not wanted, but they come to control too much!!

Hard to say... and one must be careful!!

Hugs!! P.S. With my new so-called neighbours, here they called the city on me when I took and placed two bags of empty plastic bags out of my mother's garage to its corner of that building!! What do you about that?