Author Topic: Do You Like Beans?  (Read 28452 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Do You Like Beans?
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 01:47:03 pm »
After an expat friend who lives in London told me about the British predilection for baked beans on toast, I gave it a try and now have it from time to time (what's not to like about it, after all?). However, I eat baked beans on toast for dinner, usually accompanied by a nice salad, rather than for breakfast.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 01:48:49 pm »
I not only like the taste, but I like their nutrition and economic profiles, too. Beans are perhaps the cheapest source of good protein. And they contain more fiber than most protein foods.

Let's also not forget their musical value. ...  ;D  ;)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2008, 10:38:54 pm »

What exactly are the recipes for beans on toast?  I hear about this from time to time, but I've never had it... even in the times that I've traveled in the UK.

So, for a beginner, what's the best way to try this?
 ???

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2008, 12:30:06 am »
What exactly are the recipes for beans on toast?  I hear about this from time to time, but I've never had it... even in the times that I've traveled in the UK.

So, for a beginner, what's the best way to try this?
 ???

Hi Amanda. Here's what you should do to make the traditional Australian breakfast of baked beans on toast (it's probably done in a similar way in the UK):

1. Empty contents of can of baked beans into either sausepan or microwave dish and heat either on oven top or in microwave.

2. While beans are heating, place toast in toaster and toast on both sides.

3. When toast is ready, place on dinner plate and butter generously on top side.

4. Empty beans on top of toast and eat with knife and fork.

Easy-peasy!

Traditionally served with tea or coffee at breakfast time in Oz.

Heath would have been very familiar with this breakfast. He probably would have followed his baked beans with some vegemite on toast (eaten with fingers) and a big pot of freshly brewed tea. Mmmmm! Yum!

Enjoy!  :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2008, 01:06:11 am »

Thanks Kerry! :)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Berit

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2008, 04:56:37 am »
Oh, I Love Vegemite !!! I Once had a boyfriend whose older brother lived in Adelaide. He came to Sweden to visit his dad and he introdused me to Vegemite. My husband has lived a year in Oz, studied at Wellesley College. He doesn't like Vegemite but I LOVE IT !! I get it when people we know go to Australia....they just have to bring it home to me or....

Vegemitelover Berit
Ennis.....always Ennis.....

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2008, 09:02:57 am »

Oh, I Love Vegemite !!! I Once had a boyfriend whose older brother lived in Adelaide. He came to Sweden to visit his dad and he introdused me to Vegemite. My husband has lived a year in Oz, studied at Wellesley College. He doesn't like Vegemite but I LOVE IT !! I get it when people we know go to Australia....they just have to bring it home to me or....

Vegemitelover Berit

Haha, you sound like a true-blue, dinky-di Aussie, Berit!  :D

I too love vegemite and eat it at least once each day, usually at breakfast, but also sometimes on a sandwich at lunch. It's an excellent source of vitamin B.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

injest

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2008, 09:16:19 am »
Oh my GOD!! I can NOT believe no one has mentioned 'beans and cornbread' a staple here...heck, even concession stands carry it (and usually it is the first thing to sell out so get some quick!) well the BEST concession stands carry it. It is so popular that people mention it as a bonus..."Their concession stand serves beans and cornbread lets just eat when we get there"

and are black eyed PEAS considered beans?? cause if they are then my favorite is purple hull peas (some people call them 'trash peas' but dang they are good!)

injest

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2008, 11:59:43 am »
for you Philistines that have never had beans and cornbread:

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/08/beans_and_cornb/

here is a recipe for them....YUMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2008, 09:41:58 pm »
Oh my GOD!! I can NOT believe no one has mentioned 'beans and cornbread' a staple here...heck, even concession stands carry it (and usually it is the first thing to sell out so get some quick!) well the BEST concession stands carry it. It is so popular that people mention it as a bonus..."Their concession stand serves beans and cornbread lets just eat when we get there"

and are black eyed PEAS considered beans?? cause if they are then my favorite is purple hull peas (some people call them 'trash peas' but dang they are good!)

beans and peas are legumes and therefore related but not the same. both have high protein content and are very beneficial as a meat substitute in a low fat diet.

I personally like purple hull peas with snaps more than any type of bean, field peas are also very good.