Author Topic: Do You Like Beans?  (Read 28672 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Do You Like Beans?
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2008, 01:13:03 pm »
More beans please !

Did I say that ?

I love beans !

Did you see my mother's recipe ?

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2008, 01:20:40 pm »
Amanda, you sure do have some interesting polls and threads!!! I am glad I am finding new parts of Bettermost. Sometimes I get stuck on the same places when there is so much to discover here. Anyway, I voted for Green Beans and that is for Green Bean Casserole - I love that!!! I also voted Black Eyed Peas and Navy Beans. I do also like Baked Beans. And Kidney Beans are great in chili as well as in 3 bean salad. Here is something interesting I did one year in my garden. I planted the usual things like Green Beans, Pole Beans, and Yellow Wax Beans. I had corn growing that year and in case people don't know corn can provide a great thing for beans to climb on. Anyway, I had some dried beans from the grocery store - there were Navy Beans, Pinto Beans, Lima Beans, Black Eyed Peas and some others. I planted some of these to see what would happen. And guess what? They came up and produced big plants with lots of beans.

I like that!  If you plant it, it will grow!  ;) :-*
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2008, 01:26:56 pm »
I like that!  If you plant it, it will grow!  ;) :-*

Yes I was quite surprised that they came up!!! I even tried it again another year and it worked. So dried beans apparently are not processed in any way. They are just bean seeds. I would have thought they would have gone through some type of processing since everything else does  ;)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2008, 01:29:24 pm »
Yes I was quite surprised that they came up!!! I even tried it again another year and it worked. So dried beans apparently are not processed in any way. They are just bean seeds. I would have thought they would have gone through some type of processing since everything else does  ;)

That's very cool to know Bud! 

I remember when I was little we had a little vegetable garden in the backyard.  And, we grew green beans (among other things).  I never thought to plant regular dried beans before.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2008, 01:33:00 pm »
That's very cool to know Bud! 

I remember when I was little we had a little vegetable garden in the backyard.  And, we grew green beans (among other things).  I never thought to plant regular dried beans before.

Try them. They will work or at least they did for me. Don't you live in a city though? Hey I noticed you aren't going to Wyoming. And Lynne I noticed you aren't going either.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2008, 02:35:57 pm »
Try them. They will work or at least they did for me. Don't you live in a city though? Hey I noticed you aren't going to Wyoming. And Lynne I noticed you aren't going either.

I know...Very sad about that too, Jack.  A close friend is getting married on June 7 and I couldn't figure out a good (translate inexpensive) way to get back from the Roundup early.  I hope you have a fabulous time!  Take lots of pictures to share when you get back!
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Artiste

« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2008, 10:24:09 pm »
I enjoy growing beans in the backyard last year !

One could cultivate too on a city balcony too !

Any pics ?

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2008, 10:14:17 am »
Yes, when Ennis and Jack are on their last camping trip on the evening when Jack says he misses Ennis so much "he can hardly stand it"... they're shown passing a bottle of whiskey back and for that has an "Old Rose" label on it.

Well, there are real brands out there with the world "Old" involved.  There's Old Crow, Old Whiskey River, Old Overholt, Old Rip VanWinkle, Anchor Old Potrero and Old Granddad. The only one of this list I've tried is Old Granddad (which is incredibly strong, 100 proof!). But, truly, as far as I can tell there's no current version of Old Rose out there on the market (unless I'm just totally not hitting on it doing google searches).

More research on this would be great! 8)

I could swear I once found a photo on Google images of a whiskey bottle labeled Old Rose. But in subsequent searches, I've never been able to find it.

I just did a Google search of "Old Rose" and "whiskey," and the first thing that came up was this page!  :laugh:

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2008, 10:36:19 am »
I could swear I once found a photo on Google images of a whiskey bottle labeled Old Rose. But in subsequent searches, I've never been able to find it.

I know!  This is the same thing that's happening to me lately.  I remember those old discussions about Old Rose and I even seem to remember an image of an antique shot glass with the Old Rose name on it (found through googling).  And, I also feel like I remember that the Old Rose distillery was in Chicago and shut down decades and decades ago.  But, now (with the re-emergence of this subject here) I can't find any of this again through googling.  Weird.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2008, 11:22:01 am »
Have to go with Jack on this one - no more beans! :D