Author Topic: slave to fashion?  (Read 4262 times)

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
slave to fashion?
« on: March 21, 2008, 09:37:58 pm »
after reading some threads about what were wearing today, and our favorite jeans i thought i'd ask if any of you have a tendancy to buy the latest trend, set your own trend, wear things that are outdated, et...or just simply explain your fashion preference in your own words.
what do you think about some styles out there right now?
what do you hate or love?

for me, i tend to go with what's out there, but wouldn't touch anything that i knew i didn't like, or anything that i think will be done and over with within a couple months.
some things though, well, they're my very own, and lame or not, i wear them. lol.
so what's your style? 

injest

Re: slave to fashion?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 10:26:07 pm »
the funniest thing about my wardrobe is that my favorite color is green..so why is EVERYTHING blue????

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 10:28:24 pm »
the funniest thing about my wardrobe is that my favorite color is green..so why is EVERYTHING blue????

omg that's me!  my favorite color is green too, but everything i own is brown! :-\

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 10:29:53 pm »
Back in the U.K I used to be a slave to labels.I cringe now when I think of it.I was really really bad.If it wasn't designer then it wasn't for me.
I spent obscene amounts on clothes,shoes bags etc.
Someone very perceptive (and quite right) pointed out I used the labels to hide behind.I was unhappy with myself and was seeking solace in just buying "things"Interestingly I was never happy as some new must have, then arrived.So it wa back to square one.
Comming to the States has been wonderfully liberating.I got rid of most of my stuff on Ebay before we left, and now I wear what I want,when I want.no one knew me so I could start over.I now don't need the clothes or the work title.I am just mom and that is O.K. The move coincided with me beginning a real long look at myself,which helped as well.
I think I am now the closest I have ever been to just being me warts and all.Take it or leave it.I now wear what I have learned suits me and it does not matter a stuff anymore if it is george, or giorgio armani.I have stopped trying to prove something.That is easier here though, as people on the whole are more laid back.
Now the kids,different matter,they soooo have to have the latest whatever by who ever.Sometimes I say yes,sometimes it's a big fat no.Followed by but everyone has one ,wears it.If they want it badly enough,they have to work and earn money to buy it.Most times,they decide they don't need it so bad!!!!!!

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 10:47:47 pm »
I love fashion.

I love clothes and shoes.  I have three closets, a tall bureau, 7 boxes and 1 hat box full of clothes.  I literally have no more room inside my closets for more clothes.

I love shoes.  Last time I counted I had over 150 pairs of them.  They take up the floor of all 3 closets and 1 short bureau.

I love trendy, classic, casual, you name it.

But I am also very body conscious.  Being short, with a Mediterranean body-type, clothes that fit nubile 5'7" models/actresses are not going to look the same on me.  Hence, no leggings and no skinny jeans for me.  :P

I was such a fashion trend setter at one job I got sent home to change 3 times.  My company frowned on short skirts combined with suit jackets and other women were jealous of my leather skirts.  8)

Women co-workers have copied my style of clothing, my manicure types, friends and family have wanted to borrow my clothes, ask me to shop for them.  I love style and fashion.

I really like how the atmosphere for fashion right now is so self-expressive.  You can pretty much wear whatever you'd like.  So long as you put a personal spin on it, it's in style somewhere.

What I most dislike is what probably most all of us dislike - the inability of fashion designers to look beyond the body dimensions of a 12 year old girl and make clothing for real women's bodies.

injest

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 11:14:12 pm »
I love fashion.

I love clothes and shoes.  I have three closets, a tall bureau, 7 boxes and 1 hat box full of clothes.  I literally have no more room inside my closets for more clothes.

I love shoes.  Last time I counted I had over 150 pairs of them.  They take up the floor of all 3 closets and 1 short bureau.

I love trendy, classic, casual, you name it.

But I am also very body conscious.  Being short, with a Mediterranean body-type, clothes that fit nubile 5'7" models/actresses are not going to look the same on me.  Hence, no leggings and no skinny jeans for me.  :P

I was such a fashion trend setter at one job I got sent home to change 3 times.  My company frowned on short skirts combined with suit jackets and other women were jealous of my leather skirts.  8)

Women co-workers have copied my style of clothing, my manicure types, friends and family have wanted to borrow my clothes, ask me to shop for them.  I love style and fashion.

I really like how the atmosphere for fashion right now is so self-expressive.  You can pretty much wear whatever you'd like.  So long as you put a personal spin on it, it's in style somewhere.

What I most dislike is what probably most all of us dislike - the inability of fashion designers to look beyond the body dimensions of a 12 year old girl and make clothing for real women's bodies.

yes, and the cheap material they are using these days.... :P

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 01:02:03 am »
wow, i'm jealous dellaluvia.  i'd love to have that many shoes!!!!!!!!!!  lol
yeah, shoes and jeans are my biggest weaknesses.  i too hate the skinny jeans.....i like flared....as i think the ankle/hip ratio is better prortioned.  in skinny jeans i feel like an upside down triangle.  lol

yes, i also agree about the fashion designers and the 'perfect' body type, and also, jess's point about cheap material.
i shop a lot, but it's usually discounted stuff 'cause the town i live in doesn't have many stores to choose from.  i usually hide my clothes in the closet for a while, and bring them out in a month or two.  when my husband asks "is that new?" i can honestly answer "no, not at all dear.." ;) ;D

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 12:22:55 pm »
wow, i'm jealous dellaluvia.  i'd love to have that many shoes!!!!!!!!!!  lol

My rationale is the more I have, the less I wear of each pair and the longer they all last.  I have a pair of leather boots that I bought in my last year in high school and I still have them, they're still wearable and I'm years away from college graduation.

yeah, shoes and jeans are my biggest weaknesses.  i too hate the skinny jeans.....i like flared....as i think the ankle/hip ratio is better prortioned.  in skinny jeans i feel like an upside down triangle.  lol

Exactly!  Though my mental picture is of a bowling pin.  :laugh:

yes, i also agree about the fashion designers and the 'perfect' body type

This is so frustrating because not only are they unable, they are also unwilling to do so.  It's very obvious when you watch entertainment shows like I do, and see designers interviewed or on shows like "The Fashion Police" which ones turn their noses up at women who aren't a size 2 or less.  They have little to say or give left handed compliments to women like Jennifer Hudson "She looks the best she's going to."  They refuse to make clothing in sizes larger than a 10, and if they do, they do it grudgingly and change the name for a 'larger womens line', like Liz Claiborne.  If you don't wear a size 10 or less, you can't wear a Liz, but you can wear her heavy woman's line "Elizabeth".

WTF was wrong with just making larger clothing?!??  Heavy women can be designer conscious too.  They want to wear Liz, not Elizabeth, like they're a step child!  It's so ludicrous. 

and also, jess's point about cheap material.

Very true.  I refuse to buy designer wear unless it's on a serious sale and I won't pay if it's made out of cheap material or just material you could find in something dirt cheap ("This is $80 and it's made out of t-shirt material" (jersey))

i shop a lot, but it's usually discounted stuff 'cause the town i live in doesn't have many stores to choose from.

I'm lucky, I live 3 blocks from a huge high end mall, there are cheaper department stores, discount stores (I found a skirt there once for $9, and had seen the exact same skirt in one of my high end clothes catalogs a month before at $75) and thrift stores all very centrally located to where I live.  I love shopping thrift stores, you can find wonderful clothes at rock bottom prices.

i usually hide my clothes in the closet for a while, and bring them out in a month or two.  when my husband asks "is that new?" i can honestly answer "no, not at all dear.." ;) ;D

:laugh:

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2008, 01:14:45 pm »
My most recent gripe is jeans - I cant seem to find a pair of jeans that fit - and I KNOW I'm not a size 18 (thats a us 16 or a euro 46) so I refuse to go up to that size to find a nice fitting pair of jeans which doesnt leave me with large muffin tops...

I wear probably almost 100% of my trousers on my hips - yeah they probably aren't meant to be there but its where I like them sitting

I really enjoy bright colours and often wear them. And I like a lot of vintage stuff but I'm not good at finding really good pieces - if I had lots of time and money I'd totally change my wardrobe, but often I just pick things up as I like at the tim - O certainly dont go with what is in trend unless I like it..

PS - Forsythia - i think this would work really well in Betternmost People - can I move it over?
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2008, 01:22:05 pm »
My most recent gripe is jeans - I cant seem to find a pair of jeans that fit - and I KNOW I'm not a size 18 (thats a us 16 or a euro 46) so I refuse to go up to that size to find a nice fitting pair of jeans which doesnt leave me with large muffin tops...

I wear probably almost 100% of my trousers on my hips - yeah they probably aren't meant to be there but its where I like them sitting

I really enjoy bright colours and often wear them. And I like a lot of vintage stuff but I'm not good at finding really good pieces - if I had lots of time and money I'd totally change my wardrobe, but often I just pick things up as I like at the tim - O certainly dont go with what is in trend unless I like it..

PS - Forsythia - i think this would work really well in Betternmost People - can I move it over?

sure kelda.  wherever you think. :)