Author Topic: Online Dating Websites  (Read 2747 times)

Offline ZK

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Online Dating Websites
« on: April 04, 2008, 06:22:46 am »
Heya

I am not sure if this is quite the right place to post this topic, however I am curious to know if other people have tried and what success they have had.

So far I have been out with three guys, I don't know what you do in your country but over here we tend to meet for coffee (always at cafe never ever at someones house a) because of the safety aspect but b) an invite for coffee at someones house means more than just coffee) and then take it from there. Cafes are a safe environment and if you don't like the looks I guess you can do a runner.

To date (excuse the pun) I have met three guys, the first guy well lets say we had nothing in common and though it was an ok chat over a cuppa. Coffee number two, well it lasted 42 minutes precisely and after 5 minutes I could not get out of there quick enough. Number 3 was over a wine at a nice pub, well I have gone flatting with him (sharing an apartment and just to clarify separate rooms) and the count is out on where its going to go. He's a great guy (and I mean really really great) but we're not dating.

Incidentally there are two main websites here, one is clean and friendly (where I "met" coffee/wine number 3) but has very very few people on there. Whilst the other website is such a mix, its a small percentage used for dates, partly for chat and the rest well lets just say its more of a hook up rather than a dating site. Lots more people on there but for a large extent they lie about their age (I mean whats the point in that)  and as for a face pic if you're lucky (more often than not a pic other than their face and that makes me run a mile) then some of the face pics were taken when disco ruled. I don't know why they do that, sorry but I am straight up, what you read and see is what you get with me.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2008, 06:29:59 pm by ZK »

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Online Dating Websites
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 04:50:57 pm »
They are so depressing.  I guess I think so because I've known two people who tried them, both were not very attractive, hence their problems dating in real life, so they tried online dating.

One was a male friend, he put himself out there, found 3 women he wanted to meet and...

None of the 3 women he wanted to meet wanted to meet him, and no one responded to his profile.

The other was my sister.  She put herself out there, and either got no responses or responses from men who were obviously trying to have internet sex or just be disgusting.

Talk about double-rejection.

Offline ZK

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 07:46:30 am »
It would appear that gay or straight online experiences can be similar. I am really happy with my profile however for the most part the messages I seem to get are of a sexual nature too and I cannot be bothered even telling them where to go

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008, 11:43:48 pm »
for grins, DL and I both put offered profiles to a service that "chemically" links a seeker to his/her mate. the responses were hillarious!

DL had these Twinkie bunnies jumping out of their socks for him, me I got these godawful farts who right off the bat were telling me their estimated annual incomes. how romantic!  ;D

somehow that dating service, in looking for compatability, missed the fact that attraction can come in the most unexpected combinations, opposites really do attract.  I don't think the sites particularly work, and have never known anyone who got more than a boring date out of them.

Offline ZK

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008, 05:28:48 am »
Living in a city of only 400,000 with only two bars (neither which are me) leaves very little options to find someone other than online.  The most interesting series of messages I got was from a lady who lived in another city, wasn't enough to turn me straight though!!

Offline opinionista

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2008, 05:57:01 am »
I met someone online once. It wasn't an online dating service but a regular chatting place. He seemed to be nice at first but as time went on I realized he was a guy with a lot of problems. I ended up telling him I did no want to see him again. However, I have two friends who have met their actual partners online and so far everything's good between them.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline underdown

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • aka... Rob
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 10:15:22 am »
There is a dating site I have belonged to, off and on, that has been going for several years and is now one of the most popular, with a huge number of members. It used to be good, a few years ago when it was much smaller (and when I met someone really nice via that service).

I tried it again, recently, but now it seems saturated with people who have trouble finding someone who will meet them twice.
It's sad, but it seems over time a site's percentage of people with that problem grows, they become more competitive (desperate?), and there is more temptation to lie (ooops ... extoll one's virtues?). I'm a straight male, but I suppose it's quite likely the case on a lot of sites, regardless of gender inclination.

A good friend of mine recently met a guy on-line who was 'an oil industry executive'. Unfortunately, he must have been a little out of touch when they met at a pub, barged in ahead of her, and then asked her to pay for her own drink. As she said later ... 'Yuk'.

I must admit, 'though, that I recently went back 'on-line', and met someone really nice who is new to the site, and thought maybe it could be ok. Ah, but it seems she wants to check out all the other exciting prospects who have been 'waiting all their life to meet someone like her'. Most of those are the old hands who pounce on any newbie. Guys who seem to have made an art form of 'extolling their own vitues'. By the time the poor, bewildered soul has worked them all out, she is disgusted with the whole thing and vows to stick with the tennis club.

Does that sound a tad cynical? Well, after a lot of trying, it is. But, then again, it will take only one special person to change my mind. And that's really what it's all about, isn't it?

Three dates? If each person meets one person in ten they are very attracted to, that multiplies to one in a hundred. So, on average, the odds would be one in fifty. That's not too bad. I do know a couple who met on the site, and who are very happy.

I used to think the old saying 'friends first' was a load of rubbish. You either like someone, or you don't, and answered them with 'how do you like someone slowly?' Now I know it's very true, but it took quite a while and a lot of disappointment to understand. Maybe the person you share with will be a 'friend first'? You never know.

Good luck, ZK.
Rob  :)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008, 02:03:08 pm »
well I met Cal on myspace (not strictly internet dating but still)- and we've been happily living together for 18months - it can work, so dont give up hope!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008, 07:12:27 pm »
Three dates? If each person meets one person in ten they are very attracted to, that multiplies to one in a hundred. So, on average, the odds would be one in fifty. That's not too bad. I do know a couple who met on the site, and who are very happy.

Those are utterly depressing stats.  I've heard similar stats (e.g. 1 in 37 dates will be someone you really like).  But what if you rarely meet anyone you want to date?  I might meet 2 people in a year that I'm attracted to enough to go out with.  To get to the 1 in 37-50, that would be me dating for 25 years before I meet someone I really like :o :o :o