Author Topic: Brand Name or Generic?  (Read 3069 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Brand Name or Generic?
« on: April 06, 2008, 04:03:57 pm »
I buy both. When it comes to consumable products, I tend to stick with brand name items. But non consumable things like paper towels or furniture cleaner, I buy what ever I see first. It doesn't matter.

I also use coupons quite a bit. My Sunday paper is chaulked full of coupons and I cut them out and use them when I'm at the store. It's amazing how much money I save using those crazy little pieces of paper! :D

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Brand Name or Generic?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008, 04:29:41 pm »
When it comes to meds.Generic every time,it saves a ton of money.Non consumable tend to generic as well.I used to always buy,named goods for consumable,but when we moved here,we bought a supermarket to get our Visa.I have learnedso much since.Most generic sre made by "named" companies anyway,Same goods less pretty packaging,so I now biy generic.The only thing I am really fusy about is fish and meat.I almost need to know the field the cow was grazing on!!!!
We are lucky though because as owners of a supermarket,we know the source of everything.So I know I am getting good local produce,meat and fish.
We are truly blessed in that respect.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008, 05:05:14 pm »
I buy whatever is at the time cheapest - food for example. The same companies make both the generic and name brands.  I know this for a fact.  Now with some things - electronics for example - I try to stick with name brands since they have a reputation to uphold, have better availability in service, parts, etc.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008, 05:04:23 pm »
I'm cheap, I buy as many generics as possible. I don't follow sales or coupons because it costs more to drive around to the location of the store with the sale as I would save at the sale. If Sam's or Walmart is accepting a coupon that I use, I will use it, but only there. I like one stop shopping.

There is one exception, there is a grocery chain in TX that offers a free substitute item if you can find an "out of date" item on their shelf. I have "cleaned up" by going into this store just after the stroke of midnight and looking for expired meats, and cheeses! Its like a treasure hunt! Sometimes up to $200 worth of goods in one haul. ;D

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 04:13:29 pm »
I said "Both" because it seems to be the closest to my reality, but with me it's not a case of buying whatever is in front of me. I make an effort to buy generic OTC health products, but with some other things I'm brand-loyal.

But: Never, ever, ever buy generic toilet paper. Save and compromise on whatever else you want, but never compromise on good toilet paper.  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline ZK

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008, 11:23:19 pm »
Always Brand names for stand alone products such as canned fruit , Generic for  flour etc which will be prepared with something else. As to toilet paper... always brand, theres somethings in life you just can't compromise on

injest

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 12:29:27 am »
Always Brand names for stand alone products such as canned fruit , Generic for  flour etc which will be prepared with something else. As to toilet paper... always brand, theres somethings in life you just can't compromise on

huh! now I will buy generic for fruits and vegetables but insist on Gold Medal flour!!

and yeah, name brand TP..