Author Topic: Texas Polygamy Sect  (Read 25757 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Texas Polygamy Sect
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2008, 10:55:49 pm »
I would imagine women are smart enough not to want to have more than one husband at a time. ...

;)

Thought that went without saying but I'd thought I'd be egalitarian about it  ;)

;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2008, 11:03:19 pm »
I have known many gay men who had much troubles leaving such cults.

Some fear for their lives if they return, just for a visit to relatives who are still in those cults !!

Anyone else knows some ?

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2008, 04:04:23 pm »
well Good Morning America is coming down on the side of the polygamists! Those poor mommas need to be with their children. (no mention of the fact that the mommas are not leaving the compound or renouncing their lifestyle...)

If the woman down the street was letting her husband 'marry' each of her daughters as they hit puberty would there be anyone on TV talking about how we should leave the kids in the home? Especially when the 'husband' is still living there?

nope.

Religion is a racket for people to hide their perversions behind.

sometimes that can be correct, but for a majority of the religious I think that is not correct. I am not a steady church goer, but I can see the good effect that church has for many.

I think of all the great charities established and run by religious organizations. The Mormons themselves have a wonderful idea for food pantries, they will offer their bounty to the needy, but the needy are then offered jobs that they must take in order to continue to receive charity. I think that this is a great idea, giving somebody something for nothing teaches them nothing. But teaching someone job related skills goes a long way towards solving their fundamental  problems which got them into a charity situation in the first place.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2008, 10:55:22 pm »
sometimes that can be correct, but for a majority of the religious I think that is not correct. I am not a steady church goer, but I can see the good effect that church has for many.

I think of all the great charities established and run by religious organizations. The Mormons themselves have a wonderful idea for food pantries, they will offer their bounty to the needy, but the needy are then offered jobs that they must take in order to continue to receive charity. I think that this is a great idea, giving somebody something for nothing teaches them nothing. But teaching someone job related skills goes a long way towards solving their fundamental  problems which got them into a charity situation in the first place.

True, but secular charities can do the same without the religious overtones.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2008, 05:09:47 pm »
A lot can be said.

It remains that such things do happen.

It is also a fact that muslims can have four wives same time legally !!

Therefore, either in the is islamic worlds or in ours or in others, why some or many men want  more than one wife at a time ?

This puzzles me.

May I ask ?

Hugs!

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2008, 03:26:22 pm »
As the news reporter on Nancy Grace said, if it was a fringe polygamist cult - and the spouses involved were all adults and consenting no one would have blinked.  They would have been just another cult and let the Feds deal with their governmentally unapproved marriage arrangements.

Apparently the whole issue is over underaged marriages rather than polygamy, and for good reasons.

Polygamy and bigamy are illegal; but the illegal action has to be some fraudulent effort to contract more than one legal marriage at once; i.e., getting a marriage license and going through a legal ceremony when you're already married, or claiming more than one spouse for an exemption on a tax return.  If the church had wedding ceremonies but each man contracted only one legal marriage there isn't much the legal system can do about it.

The women they're interviewing are (IMO) weird-looking but they're all adults, so the multiple marriages can't all be involving underaged girls.

Or why not female/male/male?

That's definitely a lot more fun.   8)  And in a grossly overpopulated world, it make a hell of a lot more sense.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2008, 05:28:34 pm »
That's definitely a lot more fun.   8)  And in a grossly overpopulated world, it make a hell of a lot more sense.

I repeat what I said a week ago: I would think women would be a lot smarter than to want to get stuck with more than one husband at a time. ...  8)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2008, 06:10:09 pm »
Apparently the whole issue is over underaged marriages rather than polygamy, and for good reasons.

Polygamy and bigamy are illegal; but the illegal action has to be some fraudulent effort to contract more than one legal marriage at once; i.e., getting a marriage license and going through a legal ceremony when you're already married, or claiming more than one spouse for an exemption on a tax return.  If the church had wedding ceremonies but each man contracted only one legal marriage there isn't much the legal system can do about it.

The women they're interviewing are (IMO) weird-looking but they're all adults, so the multiple marriages can't all be involving underaged girls.

in a grossly overpopulated world, man/man and woman/woman would make even MORE sense!  ;)

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2008, 07:07:02 pm »
Child Welfare Issues at Polygamy Compound

April 26, 2008 - by Dawn Friedman Pajamas Media

"By now you’ve heard about the Yearning for Zion Ranch in West Texas, the compound where girls as young as sixteen are forced to become “sister-wives” in polygamous marriages with much older men.

Alerted by an anonymous call from someone who claimed to be a 16-year old runaway from the sect (an off-shoot of the mainstream Mormon church known as the Fundamentalist Church of Latter Day Saints), child welfare and law enforcement officials raided the ranch and took a reported 437 children into custody. As it turns out, the caller was a fraud but her claims appeared to be true; young women were being married off according to the group’s beliefs. It’s clear that church members were breaking the law and had the state not intervened, more girls would have been sexually abused under the guise of religious doctrine.

Details are sketchy. The families are so complicated that it’s difficult to know who belongs to whom and how old were the young women who were married. The results of DNA testing — just completed — will help sort this out. But it’s hard to know how many young women are victims and how many are (according to the state of Texas)  legally free and clear to marry given that the age of consent in Texas is 16 (with parental approval and assuming that the young woman in question will be the only wife).

Another issue in doubt is whether or not the youngest children — those too young to be deemed of “marriageable age” as defined by the church — were in any immediate danger when Judge Barbara Walther originally ruled that they be removed from the care of their mothers. This included 77 toddlers and  still-nursing infants under two years old.

Families won’t be allowed to contest the ruling. Instead of being judged on an individual basis — each parent considered separately from the rest of his or her community — the state is treating the sect as a whole. Kids are being removed on the basis of their cultural background, not because they are in immediate danger. (If you want to see the FLDS point of view on this, you can check out the  web site they’ve set up.)

It’s unclear whether or not infants under 12 months have been separated from their mothers. I have read reports that  adult women with children under a year will be allowed to stay with their children. Another report said that  mothers under 18 would be placed in foster care with their kids. It’s anybody’s guess what will happen to older infants (greater than a year) who are  still nursing.

These are children who have rarely (if ever) left the rarefied air of the compound without a parent. They have already been raised to be leery of the outside world. Raiding their homes to break up their families has probably not done anything to make them feel better about society outside the walls of the ranch. CPS will be alerting the foster homes about the kids’ special needs,  asking caregivers to stock up on fruits and vegetables and cut back on the television. Given the state of foster care, one has to wonder if that will really do all that much to combat the culture shock.

What about the men? Should they be kept out of the picture? I totally agree with that idea. Until the state figures out which men were breaking the law and were abusing the girls it makes sense to not allow the them unsupervised visits with the kids. But I can’t see where the children need immediate protection from their mothers and siblings. Wouldn’t it be easier to kick the men off the compound and maintain caseworkers on-site to keep an eye on things? Wouldn’t it make more sense to care for the children in their own environment but with some measure of supervision?

I’m sympathetic to what a sudden influx of more than 400 kids must do to an overburdened system but I’m more sympathetic to the children especially given that the kids shouldn’t have been removed in the first place, not without proof of immediate harm."

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2008, 02:44:06 pm »
Gene Disorder Complicates Sect Custody Fight

www.npr.org

Weekend Edition Sunday, April 27, 2008 · Lawyers for the mothers of 462 children taken from a polygamist ranch in West Texas will ask a state appeals court for relief, but the process is slowed by problems in determining the children's parentage. Texas family law officials continue to investigate allegations of physical and sexual abuse. Wade Goodwyn and Liane Hansen discuss the legal proceedings.

Meanwhile, many of the children in the FLDS group suffer from fumarase deficiency, a genetic disease that causes acute retardation and physical deformation. The disease was spread through decades of inbreeding, according to John Dougherty, an investigative reporter who has written extensively about the polygamist sect.