Author Topic: What would have been Jack's reaction had Ennis died?  (Read 11128 times)

pinku

What would have been Jack's reaction had Ennis died?
« on: May 21, 2006, 02:07:07 am »
I think Jack wouldn't have suffered as much as Ennis did!  Ennis despite being taciturn was emotionally more vulnerable or sensitive  than Jack.

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
Re: What would have been Jack's reaction had Ennis died?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 02:43:22 am »
Hi Pinku-welcome!

I think Jack would absolutely have suffered as much as Ennis-this was not a one-sided love. Jack lived a very good part of his life holding on to the dream that he and Ennis would one day be together (I don't think for a moment he was leaving Ennis after the lake scene). Too lose Ennis-and that dream-would be the end of him emotionally. On the other hand, "stand it" Ennis, would go on-certainly even more emotionally damaged, but he would go on.

Ruby

O0

Heathen

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "It's alright; 's alright."
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 11:40:09 am »
Ruby -

I agree.  I always felt that Jack mentioning the 'ranch neighbor' was just an emotional and/or defensive cover but that his mother saw right through it. 

In the lake scene, when he saw Ennis was hurt emotionally, he couldn't stand it.  All the resolve he was trying to build just melted away and he went to hold & reassure Ennis yet again w/ "It's alright, it's alright." 

And the "Damn you Ennis" was because he knew right then that he couldn't "quit" him. 
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline serious crayons

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 12:26:07 pm »
Interesting question, pinku!

I think Jack would have been just as distraught -- his love for Ennis was equal to Ennis' for him. But I think Jack is better able to cope with his emotions and is more of a survivor. While I can't imagine Ennis ever being with anyone else again, I can imagine this for Jack. He would always miss Ennis. But we would not see him in the final shot living in an isolated trailer with nothing for company but a shrine.

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 12:35:53 pm »
latjoreme -

Once again I agree.  And as was stated by Annie "There is no Ennis without Jack." 
« Last Edit: May 22, 2006, 10:37:01 am by silkncense »
"……when I think of him, I just can't keep from crying…because he was a friend of mine…"

Offline starboardlight

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • nipith.com
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2006, 01:52:53 pm »
I agree that Jack would have suffered just as much, but probably in a different way. I wonder too if after Ennis died, Jack would have become even more reckless in his search for his "Ennis" in other men.
"To do is to be." Socrates. - "To be is to do." Plato. - "Do be do be do" Sinatra.

pinku

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2006, 02:28:50 pm »
  It should be noted that Jack had already decided to set up home with that rancher friend of his. When Jack's father informs Ennis about this - Ennis is sure that Jack was killed because of this decision. This is clear from the story! It is difficult to put it but Jack was going around with other men and had Ennis died it would have not ended his peccadilloes! He might have killed himself slowly by drinking more and surely would have missed Ennis badly.
But the tragic figure here is Ennis, who is surviving for the sake of it. At 39 he is no longer interested in anything but is happy when Jack appears in his dreams! Here Annie achievs a masterstroke!
 This is what makes the book/movie so tragic... that feeling of total hopelessness...that pain you feel when you see your mother or father dying slowly. This is about one's inability to deal with the death of a loved one and that Ennis is totally alone makes it more poignant! Ennis is an honest man, he truly feel in love with Jack and only Jack. Don't you feel bad when an innocent person suffers for a crime that he has not commited! Here, Ennis is subjected to a lifetime of suffering!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 02:38:16 pm by pinku »

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2006, 03:10:09 pm »
It should be noted that Jack had already decided to set up home with that rancher friend of his. When Jack's father informs Ennis about this - Ennis is sure that Jack was killed because of this decision. This is clear from the story!

It is not actually clear from the story nor the film.  I disagree that Jack had decided to set up home with the rancher.  And although Ennis felt at that moment @ Lightning Flat that Jack had been killed by the tire iron - he later was not so sure. 

Annie Proulx (+ the scriptwriters & Ang)'s brilliance is that the reader/viewer is able to interpret the dialouge/ intentions/ scenes for themselves.

pinku

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2006, 03:49:23 pm »
Then, this spring he's got another one's goin a come up here with him and build a
place and help run the ranch, some ranch neighbor a his from down
in Texas.
He's goin a split up with his wife and come back here. So
he says. But like most a Jack's ideas it never come to pass."

So now he knew it had been the tire iron

Sourced from Annie Proulx " Brokeback Mountain"

There is no need to interpret, it is most obvious! And because Jack had decided - he was killed!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 03:51:57 pm by pinku »

Offline silkncense

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2006, 07:56:51 pm »
Thank you Pinku but your quotes have not changed my opinion -

I also have the book, have read it several times & have seen the film.  As, I suspect, have most everyone on this board.  And very little is as obvious as you would insist.

Enjoy your discussion.  Or not.