Author Topic: Somewhere, Over The Rainbow - Chapter 1  (Read 2446 times)

Offline "Joseph Golden"

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Dozy embrace solidified in his memory
Somewhere, Over The Rainbow - Chapter 1
« on: May 03, 2008, 01:49:31 pm »
Basically this is going to be a story that I'm going to post chapter's regularly. I have written some of it already and most of this is going to be pure winging it. But hopefully it makes any sense. Feel free to comment when you like, also i enjoy input and contributions also. So feel free to PM me or post here.

Warning - Could contain strong to moderate sex scenes, violence and language
Please read under readers discretion.

Somewhere, Over the Rainbow

Prologue

He had been parked two doors down from number 77 Orchard Road for nearly two hours, he knew this because he left his house at exactly 7am. As much as time continued to go by, he still couldn't bring himself to drive the rest of the way. He could walk he thought, but that would be harder, for he would have to use his two feet. A sense of irony rushed over him and he allowed himself to smile for the first time in nearly a month.
After this smoke he said to himself half a packet ago. He dragged his half consumed cigarette and looked out from his drivers seat. The street was quiet, his car was the only indifferent thing about it. It was your typical middle class stoic street, the houses high, the cars always updated and the gardens well maintained. It was a perfect setting for his scene to begin.
He wondered why he had never been here before, but the impending gush of resentment took it's place. He choked on his thoughts, dragged and placed his hands the ignition. He knew exactly why he hadn't ever been here, he knew why he was here today and he knew more than he ever thought he needed. Though he was here, that's something.
Sure enough he had walked these streets before, he had driven pass this house nearly one hundred times. He only lived a short drive out of town in Yellow Brick Road, the farm house he had grown up in. A idyllic setting for his life to end he thought, though he had not been there since he left. He had no inclination to return, maybe it doesnt exist. He had not been here, like this, like he was asked, to go where he thought he could not, to see whom he never wanted to.
His mind wondered to a distant memory that forced him to start the ignition.

A jersey cow gives birth to it's off-spring much like a human, it carries it for nearly 8 month, than it gives birth to it. It will stand on it's two feet in 5 to six 6 hours, it will feed on it's mother as soon as she lets it. The farmer must intervene immediately or the cow will not trust her. His father did this like he had done it many times before, they are separated and the cow allows him to take his young away. The cow trust the farmer, with the only allowance of seeing her young graze in the paddock over.
This time the farmer was offered a large sum to sell this calf, and he did so without a thought in his mind. Soon after the cow searched for it's young, it could not find it. In her own obedient way she tried to defy the farmers choice, but man verse cow is no match. Weeks later the cow was found in a ditch, she had fallen in and presumably killed herself. But the farmer took no notice of this and he continued his mandatory ways. Two lives had been lost and no one was to blame.

He put the car in gear, drove slowly up the street and looked at the house. He was here and now he must face the cow, for the young had been taken away. If only he was not the farmer he thought.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 02:23:41 pm by "Joseph Golden" »
Don’t lie, don’t try to fool me, Ennis. I know what it means. Jack Twist? Jack Nasty.

Offline "Joseph Golden"

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Dozy embrace solidified in his memory
Re: Somewhere, Over The Rainbow
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 02:23:05 pm »
Chapter 1

Aarons Phelips grew up in Monroeville, a small railroad town near in Arizona. Late sunsets and early dawns and that's the way he liked it. He lived out of town on a small farm that use to breed cattle. But after his father ran away with his Mexican mistress they were forced to sell the remainder of the heifers. His mother turned to the bottle, but kept a idealist view on life. You can only kick a dog so many times before he bites back she use to say.

It was summer of 2004 when he started working at the local department store, his mother promised she got him the job under the condition she drove him to and from work. He was reluctant, but subsided. After a week she stopped bothering, never stopped holding hands out every 7th of the mouth and made sure he walked the two mile to and from work. After a while it did'nt bother him all that much, he soon found a reason to go to work, which made the hike worth it. Her name was Betty Davis, though not so much in the eyes. They were both eighteen.

She was everything he wasn't. She was beautiful, ambitious and flamboyant. She reminded him of his mother, with her big ideas about being famous, traveling the world and becoming wealthy. She reeked of upper class, wore a little two much make-up and was over affectionate. They were assigned to working in the same department and this pleased Aaron. They spent many days talking, Aaron's attraction grew and she brought out similar attributes that Aaron had long forgotten. They often played foolishly, flirted and got caught.
Near Christmas, he found a piece of dead carcass, knowing that Betty hated this. He threw it at her, she scream and ran off, he chased her up the stairs to the employees lounge. They play flighted till, without a thought in his mind, he kissed her. She quickly pushed him away, looked at him distastefully and said
"I'm sorry, i cant" She ran off, this only made Aaron more determined.

Randy Best worked near Aaron and Betty, he often watched them playing foolishly. Though he snickered at Aaron's flimsy attempts to please the girl. Early December he was assigned the same department, taking up many of Betty's shifts. This forced Aaron and him to work together. Not much conversed between the two. Randy grew up with fundamentalist parents, moron beliefs and guarded by a controlling father. He resented control, but loathed it's power. He became defiant, a risk-taker and powerful. He guarded a sensitive side and secretly believed god was a crock of shit.

Aaron came in their department after his encounter with Betty, he was annoyed but gleeful. Randy seen the spark in his eye and knew it had to be crushed, now or never he thought. Aaron walked pass him like he wasn't there.
"Hey Dickhead, i wouldn't bother if i was you" he said to Aaron's back. Aaron turned annoyed at his banality.
"Wat ya call me?"
"I called you a Dickhead, and i wouldn't bother, trust me she's off limits"
"Fuck off"
Aaron continued down the isle fuming with anger, ready to kill the fool trying to get to him. Though there was something about the boy that made feel pitiful for him.
"Wait" came Randy down the isle. Aaron reluctantly turned.
"Look we got off badly, my names Randy and i suppose you not a dickhead but you wont get this girl"
Aaron looked into his dark eyes.
Randy leaned forward to whisper "OK, you did'nt hear it from me, she's a carpet muncher, you know apparently she's fucking  Norma Jean"
Aaron's anger subsided, without a thought in his mind, he punched the boy down. Randy fell to the ground screaming in agony. He looked around in case he had been seen. Than after hearing Randy cry like he'd been kicked in the chops, he felt bad. But took it in his stride and walked off.

Aaron had heard the on going rumor through the grape vine, though he did not take any notice of it. He knew it made Betty upset, but most of the time angry beyond comprehension. Aaron took himself down to the local jewelry store and blew his savings on a pretty bracelet, this angered his mother, but he did'nt care. Christmas came and he got up the courage to give Betty her present, but before he did she made herself clear. "I dont like presents, i dont except them and they dont mean anything to me" she said harmlessly. Aaron hide the present before she could see it and later threw it out. It was becoming clear to Aaron that she had no intention on dating him. Early February he found out why.
Don’t lie, don’t try to fool me, Ennis. I know what it means. Jack Twist? Jack Nasty.