Author Topic: Chemistry Gone Terribly Awry  (Read 15906 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Chemistry Gone Terribly Awry
« on: May 22, 2006, 12:47:26 pm »
As per Katherine's suggestion in another thread, and I quote:

Back to chemistry for a sec. I don't want to go too OT, but Barb, you should start a thread about who in your studies you've found most lacks it. My vote would be Nick Nolte and Julia Roberts in that movie whose name I can't recall but it's something in first person. I love Nick Nolte and I'm fine with Julia, but together they made me cringe so much I could hardly look at the screen.

So how 'bout it, everybody?  Who have you all found in your movie travels was supposed to have chemistry but didn't?  I'll name the ones that come painfully to mind to me:

1. Hugh Grant and Andie MacDowall in "Four Weddings and a Funeral" (loved his chemistry with Kristin Scott Thomas, though)

2. Hugh Grant and Emma Thompson in "Sense and Sensibility" (I see a pattern emerging, here ;))

3. Ralph Fiennes and J-Lo in "Maid in Manhattan" (oh, the PAIN!)

4. Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman in "Eyes Wide Shut"

5. William Hurt and Geena Davis in "The Accidental Tourist"

6. Jodie Foster and Richard Gere in "Sommersby"

7. Jude Law and Nicole Kidman in "Cold Mountain"

I know which Julia Roberts/Nick Nolte movie you're talking about, Katherine.  I never saw it, apparently thankfully, and I can't recall the name, either.  I remember hearing it was painful to watch the two of them together.
No more beans!

slayers_creek_oth

Re: Chemistry Gone Terribly Awry
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 12:55:43 pm »
I know which Julia Roberts/Nick Nolte movie you're talking about, Katherine.  I never saw it, apparently thankfully, and I can't recall the name, either.  I remember hearing it was painful to watch the two of them together.

It was I Love Trouble and I definetely agree there...

1. Hugh Grant and Andie MacDowall in "Four Weddings and a Funeral" (loved his chemistry with Kristin Scott Thomas, though) 
I don't remember that one so thats obviously not a good sign...

2. Hugh Grant and Emma Thompson in "Sense and Sensibility" (I see a pattern emerging, here )
Don't remember this one either...LOL

Couldnt' agree more!

Two of my least favorite actors - so naturally...

Never saw it!

I don't know....I like them together in this....but thats just me...

Again I don't like Nicole and Jude has never really impressed me so I agree here too...

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 01:20:45 pm »

Right. I did not love "I Love Trouble."

Tell you what, slightly OT but I often don't love movies that pair young actresses in romances with actors 30 years their senior (or 26 years, in the case of Julia/Nick). I'm not saying it never works, but it's usually annoying. Especially as it's so rarely the other way around. Or if it is, as with Diane Keaton/Keanu Reeves (18 years apart) in "Something's Gotta Give," the relationship is doomed (Diane leaves Keanu for the more "appropriate" Jack Nicholson, nine years older) and the age difference is THE central issue, as opposed to when the man is older, when the difference usually goes unmentioned.

I know, I know, older men/younger women are more common in "real life." And you could find possible explanations in evolutionary psychology. But in movies it always seems like male vanity and sexism to me.

So next I want to see a movie that pairs Heath with an actress close to my age, like Michelle Pfeiffer or Debra Winger or Andie MacDowell. It could work, couldn't it? COULDN'T it???

OK, back on topic. Good list, Barb! I don't agree with all of them, but many of them I do. (J-Lo and Ralph -- cringe!) And funny about Tom and Nicole! Something tells me Tom and Katie would lack chemistry, too.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 01:44:22 pm »
Here's one along the Tom and Nicole/Tom and Katie lines that interests me, too:

In "Bugsy," Warren Beaty's and Annette Bening's chem-o-meter reading was off the charts.  Then, a few married years later, they nearly bored me to death in "Love Affair."  So what does that say about what marriage does to your libido?   :o
No more beans!

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 02:22:05 pm »
I actually loved Jodie Foster and Richard Gere in "Sommersby" and Jude Law and Nicole Kidman in "Cold Mountain" :), agreed with the rest of Barb's list.

Here are some that come to mind now:

1. Julia Roberts and John Malkovich in “Mary Reilly”
2.Tom Cruise and Penélope Cruz in “Vanilla Sky”  (Don’t care for them as a couple either in the movie, or in the real life.)
3. Ben Affleck and Gwyneth Paltrow in “Bounce”
4. Ben Affleck and J. Lo in “Gigli”  (Ok, someone please name a film that Ben had good chemistry going with the actress)
5. Richard Gere and Winona Ryder in “Autumn in New York”
6. Nicole Kidman & Anthony Hopkins in “The Human Stain”

Barb, now that we have a bad chemistry thread, can we also have a thread for on screen chemistry that you can not get enough of. ;)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 03:41:04 pm »
5. Richard Gere and Winona Ryder in “Autumn in New York”

Oh, GOD, yes.  That was HATEFULLY bad.  Do you know, I got kinda stuck watching that movie on the Charlotte/Douglas International Airport tarmac?  I had flown up there for a quick weekend trip to visit my parents on a day when a kid had a toy gun in his backpack, and when it registered on the X-ray machine, he took off.  So they shut down the whole place until they found him.  We sat out there for almost two hours, and they started showing that movie in the hopes of keeping the natives from becoming restless.  But it backfired and incited a riot instead.  God, was that BAD.  I stopped listening to it after the first five minutes and just kept re-reading my same magazine so as to keep my eyes averted from the screens.
No more beans!

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2006, 05:55:31 pm »

Okay, here we go: *rubs hands together*

Catherine Zeta Jones & Sean Connery in "Entrapment"
LOL, yes Hugh Grant & anybody in Anything.
Julia Roberts & Nick Nolte in "I Love Trouble"
Natalie Portman & Hayden Christensen in "Star Wars"
Kevin Costner & Whitney Houston in "The Bodyguard"

Chut up!

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2006, 05:59:18 pm »
Natalie Portman & Hayden Christensen in "Star Wars"

Couldn't agree more with that one.....IMO Hayden was miscast big time! 

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2006, 07:19:55 pm »

A few others:

Jennifer Garner & Ben Affleck in "Daredevil"

Meg Ryan & Nicolas Cage in "City of Angels"

Gwyneth Paltrow & Ethan Hawke in "Great Expectations"

Jenna Elfman & Ben Stiller in "Keeping the Faith" (which was such a bust cause her chemistry with Edward Norton was
actually pretty good and he WASN'T the love interest, which could be one of many reasons this film didn't work)

Charlize Theron & Tobey Maguire in "The Cider House Rules"

Harrison Ford and Julia Ormond in "Sabrina"
Chut up!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2006, 07:43:12 pm »
A few others:

Jennifer Garner & Ben Affleck in "Daredevil"

Meg Ryan & Nicolas Cage in "City of Angels"

Gwyneth Paltrow & Ethan Hawke in "Great Expectations"

Jenna Elfman & Ben Stiller in "Keeping the Faith" (which was such a bust cause her chemistry with Edward Norton was
actually pretty good and he WASN'T the love interest, which could be one of many reasons this film didn't work)

Charlize Theron & Tobey Maguire in "The Cider House Rules"

Harrison Ford and Julia Ormond in "Sabrina"

Amen, sistah on all of the above.  What *is* it with Ben Affleck, that he has about the chemistry of an amoeba?
No more beans!

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2006, 07:56:25 pm »
Amen, sistah on all of the above.  What *is* it with Ben Affleck, that he has about the chemistry of an amoeba?

Yeah, what's with Ben Affleck?  Can't think of any movie that he had good chemistry with the actress.  He was pretty good with Matt Damon in Good Will Hunting though.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2006, 08:52:01 pm »
Yeah, what's with Ben Affleck?  Can't think of any movie that he had good chemistry with the actress.  He was pretty good with Matt Damon in Good Will Hunting though.

True, that.  Hmmmmm...  He had pretty good chemistry with Jason Lee (and ZERO with Joey Lauren Adams) in Chasing Amy, too.  The plot thickens...
No more beans!

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2006, 11:28:31 pm »

Well, he's been in two movies with his now-wife and both times had the chemistry of a dead fish. Fair enough, in Pearl Harbour they had no scenes together but he and Jennifer together in Daredevil..  *YAWN*
Chut up!

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2006, 03:59:41 am »
I haven't seen most of the movies you mention, except "Eyes Wide Shut" and I agree there was no chemistry between the 2 leads (were they in the course of their divorce then?). But I'd vote for Tom Cruise & anyone. Cruise is one of the worst actors the earth has ever spun, to get THAT famous!
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2006, 05:14:31 am »

Uhh, for a lack of chemistry, can I please cite the entire cast of "Memoirs of a Geisha"?   :-\
Chut up!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2006, 09:06:31 am »
Uhh, for a lack of chemistry, can I please cite the entire cast of "Memoirs of a Geisha"?   :-\

Absolutely.  I found that to be a very superficially beautiful film.  And nothing more.
No more beans!

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2006, 06:18:26 pm »
Interesting that the reallife couples are getting slated here...

Chris..OMG I can't beleiev you don't know this!!! CLASS film! (maybe cos its a British rom com?)

I don't remember that one so thats obviously not a good sign...

as to other bad couples.. meh can't think right now.. will come back to you on that one!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2006, 06:22:07 pm »
Interesting that the reallife couples are getting slated here...

Chris..OMG I can't beleiev you don't know this!!! CLASS film! (maybe cos its a British rom com?)

as to other bad couples.. meh can't think right now.. will come back to you on that one!

LOL...nope don't remember but I'll check it out again....

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2006, 06:30:44 pm »
people noted Notting Hill as a kinda sequal to this as it basically had almost the same cast...with a few exceptions obviously *insert your lovely Julia where Andie was*
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2006, 03:12:05 am »

Gosh, Kelda, you got it in ONE!

Notting Hill and Four Weddings and a Funeral are the exact same movie, except where you had a glamorous American style editor, you have a glamorous American actress!  Everybody else is there:

The kooky redhead;
The straight-laced brunette woman;
The wacky, down-on-his-luck bloke;
The straight guy to inject reason and sense
The comic relief guy
Hugh Grant in almost exactly the same role; one was Charlies, the other was William.

... and then the drop-dead gorgeous brunette American woman who steals Hugh's heart.  Dang it if I don't love both films anyway...  :D
Chut up!

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2006, 04:35:07 am »

Very cold indeed!! They should have changed mountain..

Kevin Costner & Whitney Houston in "The Bodyguard"
Totally! But I loved the movie and the sound track was the very first CD I bought/owned!

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2006, 10:26:15 am »

So how 'bout it, everybody?  Who have you all found in your movie travels was supposed to have chemistry but didn't?  I'll name the ones that come painfully to mind to me:

2. Hugh Grant and Emma Thompson in "Sense and Sensibility" (I see a pattern emerging, here ;))

Can I nominate Tom Cruise and Brad Pitt for "Interview with a Vampire"?  Did I see the end?  Or was I sleeping?  Can't remember...
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2006, 03:41:05 pm »
I haven't seen this one in the thread ....

"Proof of Life" with Meg Ryan and Russell Crowe. Terrible!!!!!

Then there is "Far and Away" with Tom and Nicole (none of their movies together had any hint of chemistry); Adam Sandler and that idiotic remote in "Click It"; Brad Pitt and Julia Roberts in "the Mexican"; AND last, but not least ..... (drum roll!!) Prince and Kristin Scott Thomas in "Under the Cherry Moon" CRINGE!!!!  :P
Diane

"We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em."

Offline henrypie

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2006, 10:09:46 am »
An asterisk for Hugh Grant:  I thought he and James Wilby had a crackle or two in Maurice.

vkm91941

« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2006, 11:18:02 am »
Gwyneth Paltrow and just about everyone, I liked Proof but she and Jake, uhm no, I liked Emma but she and Jeremy Northam...as friends maybe and in Posession with Aaron Eckhart nope even though I love the film.   The only time  I can recall even a sparkle was in Shakespeare in Love and I still yawned.

:-\
I haven't seen this one in the thread ....

"Proof of Life" with Meg Ryan and Russell Crowe. Terrible!!!!!

So True! And that's when they were having the big affair that broke up Meg's marriage to Dennis Quaid.  Under the circumstances I would have thought we would have seen some heat.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 11:21:17 am by vkm91941 »

Offline opinionista

« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2006, 01:55:50 pm »
Jake Gyllenhaal and Gwyneth Paltrow in Proof
Tom Hanks and Audrey Tatoo in The Da Vinci Code
Kirsten Dunst with anybody in anything since Interview with a Vampire. I don't think there's chemistry between her and Tobey Maguire. I find her Mary Jane annoying, (or is it her? can't tell)

I didn't like Julia Roberts and George Clooney in any of Ocean's movies they've been together. I'm finding Julia Roberts annoying lately. I liked her better when she wasn't that famous.

Hugh Grant in almost exactly the same role

Hugh Grant always plays the same role. Always.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 01:59:28 pm by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline saucycobblers

• Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2006, 02:11:16 pm »
Tom Cruise and Kelly McGillis in 'Top Gun'. Put her with Harrison Ford in 'Witness' though and... yowsah!

Orlando Bloom and Keira Knightley in 'Pirates of the Carribean'. (What is all the fuss about Bloom or Knightley?? I don't get it! :-\).

Russell Crowe and Salma Hayek in 'Breaking Up'. It was on TV the other night  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:. OMG, I LMAO - has to be one of the crappiest films I've ever seen!
« Last Edit: July 04, 2006, 02:15:02 pm by saucycobblers »
Will you stop playing with that radio of yours, I'm trying to get to sleep!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2006, 03:27:32 pm »
(What is all the fuss about Bloom or Knightley?? I don't get it! :-\).

I wish I could understand my own reaction to Orlando Bloom. Clean-shaven, to me he looks too much like a girl and reminds me of that other annoying girly-man Leonardo DiCaprio. But put a mustache and goatee on Orlando and yeehaw!

Keira Knigthley has a very English prettiness about her, but somebody feed that child a pizza with everything on it--and quick!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2006, 03:31:02 pm »
I wish I could understand my own reaction to Orlando Bloom. Clean-shaven, to me he looks too much like a girl and reminds me of that other annoying girly-man Leonardo DiCaprio. But put a mustache and goatee on Orlando and yeehaw!

He doesn't do a thing for me either way.  Now, Johnny Depp, on the other hand...  I just sense I could party with him, ya know?  ;)
No more beans!

Offline Midnight24

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Miss Princess
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2006, 03:37:41 pm »
He doesn't do a thing for me either way.  Now, Johnny Depp, on the other hand...  I just sense I could party with him, ya know?  ;)

Yeah, I agree. Orlanda doesn't do much for me, either, even when he first came out big. He acts good but his appearance doesn't do anything for me. Now, Johnny Depp on the other hand is a whole other story.  ;D
~*One kiss...and bam...you're mine*~
Total and Complete Jake Lover!!!

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2006, 03:59:52 pm »

Yeah, I agree. Orlanda doesn't do much for me, either, even when he first came out big. He acts good but his appearance doesn't do anything for me. Now, Johnny Depp on the other hand is a whole other story.  ;D

YEOW!! We all agree ... Johnny Depp is yummy.

Diane

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2006, 04:09:47 pm »

Doesn't do a thing for me, but tell you what, the man is ENORMOUSLY talented.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

moremojo

« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2006, 04:28:27 pm »
I'm in the same club as you, Jeff. A very gifted, adventurous actor, but leaves me cold on the erotic/sex appeal front. Chacun son gout, if I'm remembering my French correctly.

Scott
« Last Edit: February 15, 2008, 08:13:24 pm by moremojo »

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2006, 07:18:59 pm »
I'm in the same club as you, Jeff. A very gifted, adventurous actor, but leaves me cold on the erotic/sex appeal front. Chacun son gout, if I'm remembering my French correctly.

Scott M.

Thanks, Scott, I don't feel so alone now.  :)

I think it's actually Chacun a son gout, but your version was close enough, so let be, let be.

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2006, 07:47:00 pm »

Johnny Depp in "Chocolat"...  I swear...

MELT! MELT, I tell ya!!!!  *pun intended... rolls own eyes at lame joke*
Chut up!

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2006, 07:50:23 pm »

Well, I always say that Johnny (Depp) is not for everyone ... but he does something for me!!! Talented, yes. IMO -  beautiful, too ... just get rid of the scruffy look. He's gorgeous clean shaven!  ::)

« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 07:53:39 pm by dly64 »
Diane

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2006, 08:39:57 pm »
Jake Gyllenhaal and Gwyneth Paltrow in Proof

I got the impression that they didn't get along very well....always seemed very distant and never smiled when together at the premiere for Proof..

Kirsten Dunst with anybody in anything since Interview with a Vampire. I don't think there's chemistry between her and Tobey Maguire. I find her Mary Jane annoying, (or is it her? can't tell)

Yeah its definitely her....she has that same annoying quality in every film she does...

I didn't like Julia Roberts and George Clooney in any of Ocean's movies they've been together. I'm finding Julia Roberts annoying lately. I liked her better when she wasn't that famous.

Definitely no chemistry between George and Julia...

I agree she was better in her Pretty Woman days...but I still love her!

Hugh Grant always plays the same role. Always.

Goes without saying...

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2006, 07:40:16 pm »
Well, I always say that Johnny (Depp) is not for everyone ... but he does something for me!!! Talented, yes. IMO -  beautiful, too ... just get rid of the scruffy look. He's gorgeous clean shaven!  ::)

Ya mean like this?

:o   ;D
No more beans!

Offline dly64

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2006, 07:43:30 pm »
Ya mean like this?

:o   ;D

I can't see the image! I am guessing if it is a picture where he is clean shaven (like I said I liked) ... DROOL!!!
Diane

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2006, 07:46:10 pm »
I can't see the image! I am guessing if it is a picture where he is clean shaven (like I said I liked) ... DROOL!!!

Allow me to give you a hand, so to speak - whenever you see that nasty little box with the red X in it, right click on it, get the URL (http address) and copy and paste it into your browser Address bar.  You should be able to see it then.  Make sure you're sitting comfortably down first, though.  ;)
No more beans!