Author Topic: TAKE OFF THE KID GLOVES: YOUR LEAST FAVORITE ACTORS  (Read 27625 times)

rtprod

Re: TAKE OFF THE KID GLOVES: YOUR LEAST FAVORITE ACTORS
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2006, 05:38:12 pm »
I agree she got panned badly on Broadway.  Better actors than her have been panned before and will be again.  In defense of Miss Julia, let me start by saying I am not a huge fan, but I do like her for the most part.  

In my mind she does really well in the light pseudo serious comedy department, I personally enjoyed her in Steel Magnoliias, Stepmom, Nottinghill and Runaway Bride.  

But I also liked her in some of her much more serious roles,in addition to Erin Brockovich, I liked  Mary Riley, Conspiracy Theory, Something to Talk About, Sleeping with the Enemy, Flatliners, Dying Young and the Pelican Brief.

To me she has shown herself to be a versatile performer, she is lovely and charming but in non-threatening down to earth way so that both men and women feel comfortable with her and her characters. That's my take

Hi vic,

I actually do agree with you and I liked all of those dramatic performances of hers that she struggled to create early in her career before she basically gave up and allowed herself to just be the sweetheart.  I loved her in Something to Talk About, particularly on the street with the kids when she catches Quaid cheating.

So I don't dislike her, I just wish she'd stretch more. 

rt

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2006, 05:55:18 pm »
Adam Sandler, except in Punch Drunk Love (although he played basically the same doofus character in that he always does, but it had a better script.)
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2006, 06:17:17 pm »

Kind of a twist on this thread, which Jenny is bringing up...who are those actors who started off great, you were excited to see and then they never followed up?

Another twist on Leslie's post.  Do you think Heath and Jake are set up for disappointment in whatever they do in the future?  Will people always hold them to that standard and say that they don’t live up to the expectation?   After all, how often does something come alone that compares to the perfect combination of story, screenplay, director, and actors in Brokeback Mountain.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2006, 06:23:22 pm »
Another twist on Leslie's post.  Do you think Heath and Jake are set up for disappointment in whatever they do in the future?  Will people always hold them to that standard and say that they don’t live up to the expectation?   After all, how often does something come alone that compares to the perfect combination of story, screenplay, director, and actors in Brokeback Mountain.

No. Heath is already getting good reviews in Candy (see my post over on Chez Tremblay). Heath, in particular, I think will pick and choose roles very carefully from here on out, and I have no doubt he'll be directing before too long.

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2006, 06:24:05 pm »
Other actors I liked once who have gone down the drain:

Kevin Costner
John Travolta
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2006, 06:24:31 pm »

Well yes I think to an extent that they will always be compared to BBM...but I still think that they'll go far!  Its not everyday that you see actors like Jake and Heath...so we'll see....

I see Jake becoming the next Tom Hanks while Heath becomes the next Anthony Hopkins....

rtprod

« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2006, 06:30:58 pm »

Jenny, one thing to keep in mind is that we hold them in a bit higher esteem than does everyone in the industry.  Our support of those performances and this movie is in concurrence with other organizations, true, but though we've immortalized them, in Hollywood you are only as good as your last film or two.  This business is fickle and unfortunately box office determines career paths far too often.  Actors' careers are made by what they turn down as much as by what they accept.  Keep your fingers crossed. 

rt

Offline ProwlAmongUs

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Have a great day. . .
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2006, 07:35:01 pm »
Lee Marvin

And dare I say it? Jack Nicholson. I just cannot warm up to the guy.
Nightmares may be products of our subconscious, but dreams are magic windows through which we see our desired reality.

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2006, 08:13:13 pm »
Jack Nicholson.  The guy is good, but he never reaches me.
Tom Cruise.  Ditto.
Phillip Seymour Hoffman.  Ditto again.
Jessica Simpson.  Does she even qualify as an actor?  Why are people giving her and her sister movie roles?
Sarah Jessica Parker.
Julia Roberts.
Any of the 90210 crowd.
Alyssa Milano.
Tony Danza.
Kevin Costner.
John Travolta.  Is really coming across as slimy nowadays.  Don't know why.
Any of the 'Desperate Housewives' crowd.
Lindsey Lohan.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 08:35:49 pm by delalluvia »

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2006, 08:23:00 pm »
Oh, yeah.  Kevin Costner is beyond bad.  He showed some promise in that cycling movie - what was it called?  American Flyers?  And then, quoth the raven, nevermore.
No more beans!