Author Topic: Do you agree with Thoreau?  (Read 66499 times)

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Do you agree with Thoreau?
« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2018, 10:52:05 am »
I posted this a year ago, and wanted to read it again.
“According to a study of 5,000 people by psychologists Matthew Killingsworth and Daniel Gilbert of Harvard University, adults spend only about 50% of their time in the present moment. In other words, we are mentally checked out half of the time. In addition to measuring when people’s minds were wandering, the scientists collected information on happiness levels. They found that when we are in the present moment, we are also at our happiest, no matter what we are doing. In other words, even if you are engaging in an activity you usually find unpleasant, you are happier when you are 100% consumed in that activity than when you are thinking about something else while doing so.

Why does the present makes us happy? Because we fully experience the things going on around us. Instead of getting caught up in a race to accomplish more things faster, we slow down and are actually with the people we are with, immersed in the ideas being discussed and fully engaged in our projects.
By being present, you will enter a state of flow that is highly productive and will become more charismatic, making people around you feel understood and supported. You will have good relationships, which are one of the biggest predictors of success and happiness.”  "6 Secrets to a Happy Life" Time Magazine

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #51 on: December 17, 2022, 06:21:36 pm »
Here are seven forms of happiness and I suspect there are more. For instance, the happiness that comes from doing good works for others and them not knowing where their good fortune comes from. The happiness of being in nature. I don't think I would stop at "staring at a rock" although looking at a meteorite in the Museum of Natural History really blew my mind.

As the solstice approaches, what are your thoughts?

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2022, 06:31:28 pm »
I'm surprised they don't include being out in nature, as you said. Even just being outdoors period -- sitting on a porch or balcony, for example, on a nice day.

Enjoying music, literature, art.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2022, 11:38:12 pm »
How the air smells after a rain.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #54 on: December 17, 2022, 11:53:34 pm »
sharing laughs with friends.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #55 on: December 18, 2022, 04:05:08 pm »
Playing with grandchildren.

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre