Author Topic: are you gonna  (Read 6207 times)

slayers_creek_oth

Re: are you gonna
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2006, 12:33:19 pm »
My wife didn't love it but then again she only likes chick flicks and films that her cry...it just wasn't her kind of movie...

But my brother LOVED it....wants to see it again tonight...LOL  He said the same thing I did....a little slow and little chemistry but he enjoyed it all the same....

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2006, 04:20:04 pm »
Saw it yesterday. The theatre was PACKED!! No major reactions, only when - spoiler ahead! - Silas is in the Villette château and attacks.. the crowd jumped. - end spoiler

I thought it was well done, but faaaaaaaaar too dark all the time. I find that exhausting and they left too many things out (I believe it was because of time constraints) and they kind of changed the ending.. Spoiler ahead! - in the book they is nothing about J. Saunières not being Sophie's grandfather. Yet, in the film R. Langdon says something about J. Saunières not being the real grandfather.. What was that change for?! Also, now thinking about it - the whole book/film did not make sense.. Because having Rorbert and Sophie chase after the code to find the Holy Grail, was because nobody else, except the 4 killed sénéchaux, knew where to find it and this knowledge had to be passed on to a 'worthy' person. But at the end we find out (in the book, that is), that Sophie's grandmother (and Sophie's brother) is alive and knows VERY WELL where the Holy Grail is! More suprisingly even, she 'tells' Robert, instead of Sophie, her granddaughter...!? Or did I get this all wrong..  :( - end spoiler

I went with two friends. One that had read the book, the other hadn't. The one that had, thought like me, that too many things in the book, were left out in the film. The other friend, who hadn't read the book, said the film was over-loaded with information and it made it hard to 'get' all the info/details..

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2006, 05:04:41 pm »
I liked the book but from the tenor of the reviews, I didn't think I would care for the movie. Then my 18 yo son went and said it was lousy so I think I will wait for the DVD, if I even bother with that.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline j.U.d.E.

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2006, 06:26:21 pm »
I'd probably say, don't bother with the DVD, but I think I will get it. Just for the extras (if they are any) - the making off and stuff..

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2006, 08:57:54 pm »
Read the book, read many of the sources of the book, saw the movie, liked the movie.

I agree, there was no chemistry between the actors, but it wasn't necessary as their relationship wasn't what it was in the book.

The book was so fast paced, but the movie dragged even though it is just one long chase movie.  The exposition that is read in the book, has to be said in the movie if it is important, so there was a lot of talking.

I like the subject matter and some very important things got said and some very important things were declared that disappointed me, but que sera sera.

The good the movie will do, outweighs the bad IMO.