Author Topic: GET OVER YOURSELF...ERR...STARS AND THEIR BANDWAGONS  (Read 21780 times)

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: GET OVER YOURSELF...ERR...STARS AND THEIR BANDWAGONS
« Reply #50 on: May 24, 2006, 02:51:12 pm »
Jake attached some very distracting baggage to those beautiful scenes.  Who wants to think about him being so skittish when we're trying to focus on the unbridled passion of the characters?

I understand what you are saying.  If you ask me, I wish he could handle the whole thing more elegantly.  Particular for Jake who said he wants to take how he feels at the moment into the scenes.  His comments could be taken as undermining the powerful passion that we witnessed on screen.

Jake is inconsistent in different interviews on this topic.  But I certainly don’t think that this is his bandwagon, unlike some of the other stars we are talking about here.  All the comments are specific to the questions related to a few scenes in this one movie.  He does not act this way in other instances. Jake is the one who said that Jack died the moment when he realized that he and Ennis could not be together.  That’s some powerful statement that I will always remember Jake by.  He has a deep understanding of the movie, just not comfortable when the focus turns onto things that could be used against him on his sexuality. 

Not trying to be argumentative here, just don’t think Jake qualifies as the stars and their bandwagons that we want to bash here. I am a Heathen after all, so I will leave defending Jake to more capable hands of all Jake fans here.  :)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2006, 03:02:57 pm »
I understand what you are saying.  If you ask me, I wish he could handle the whole thing more elegantly.  Particular for Jake who said he wants to take how he feels at the moment into the scenes.  His comments could be taken as undermining the powerful passion that we witnessed on screen.

Jake is inconsistent in different interviews on this topic.  But I certainly don’t think that this is his bandwagon, unlike some of the other stars we are talking about here.  All the comments are specific to the questions related to a few scenes in this one movie.  He does not act this way in other instances. Jake is the one who said that Jack died the moment when he realized that he and Ennis could not be together.  That’s some powerful statement that I will always remember Jake by.  He has a deep understanding of the movie, just not comfortable when the focus turns onto things that could be used against him on his sexuality. 

Not trying to be argumentative here, just don’t think Jake qualifies as the stars and their bandwagons that we want to bash here. I am a Heathen after all, so I will leave defending Jake to more capable hands of all Jake fans here.  :)

Actually, Jenny, you've done just fine.  :)

I'll only add that while I see where you're coming from, dear rt, and I admit that I was disappointed to learn of Jake saying and doing the things you've cited, like Jenny and others here I look at it in the context of what he was being asked by all those idiot interviewers.  It's not like he just blurted this stuff out when no one was asking about it - he was being put on the spot specifically about how it felt as a straight man to make out with another man.  I see him as actually trying not to insult the interviewers in his replies (even though they very often deserved it) while at the same time trying to be honest in admitting that he came into it with the same ingrained homophobia that very unfortunately most straight men in this country share.

No more beans!

rtprod

« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2006, 03:41:49 pm »
Points all well taken, my friends. 

Let's steer back to another celebrity GET OVER YOURSELF moment.

Actually, how about two that I respect and admire:  Elizabeth Taylor and Sharon Stone for AmfAR.  I believe Stone is the current spokesperson, if I'm not mistaken, and Taylor did much service for years prior to that. 

Stone is a great lady, and at a recent luncheon she took time to meet the kitchen staff and thank them personally.  She's got real class.

rt 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 03:43:52 pm by rtprod »

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2006, 04:27:02 pm »
rt, I am so glad you said that about Sharon Stone, because i LOVE her  ;D
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2006, 09:34:36 pm »
I can think of one, no actually TWO, French actors you may have heard of, who fall into this category:

Alain Delon: now, you'll never catch HIM smiling, too damn self important for that. And he is at the political extreme right.

Ye gods, Alain Delon?!??!  He's still around??!?!?   He used to be a god in his heyday he was so good looking, but I imagine his ego got the better of him.

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2006, 06:32:37 am »
Yes Del, he is still around. Never did smile a lot - even when he was 8 months old, I'd bet.
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2006, 10:12:04 pm »
Yes Del, he is still around. Never did smile a lot - even when he was 8 months old, I'd bet.

Maybe he's got bad teeth?  ;D

Offline Sheyne

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I am pretty good with a canoe tho..
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2006, 04:50:32 am »
Points all well taken, my friends. 

Let's steer back to another celebrity GET OVER YOURSELF moment.

Actually, how about two that I respect and admire:  Elizabeth Taylor and Sharon Stone for AmfAR.  I believe Stone is the current spokesperson, if I'm not mistaken, and Taylor did much service for years prior to that. 

Stone is a great lady, and at a recent luncheon she took time to meet the kitchen staff and thank them personally.  She's got real class.

rt 

I love these two actresses..  Elizabeth Taylor ... even when I look at her now.. will still be that exuberant, stunningly-beautiful, violet-eyed child from National Velvet..  I wish it was on DVD here, it would sit proudly in my collection..

And rt, I have heard that about Sharon Stone.. she always takes the time to acknowledge the people a lot of wealthy and famous people couldn't give a toss about.  She's always had that humanitarian aspect to her..  Got a lot of admiration for both of them..
Chut up!

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2006, 09:51:41 am »
How about Hugh Heffner? I give him credit for creating a successful franchise (whether you like or hate Playboy. Guess most of the people here probably don’t care or hate it  :P).  He can be charming and sharp sometimes, but he needs to get over himself with his fantasy life style and his girl friends.  I don’t need to see them on every show talking about their intimacy, sleeping arrangement, etc. After all, let’s keep in mind that Hugh Heffner is 80 years old, EIGHTY YEARS OLD!  I seriously doubt … Well, let’s not go there.  Something better reminds unspoken. ;D

When Hugh Hefner came out with the line "80 is the new 40" all I could think of was "so, 160 is the new 80?"
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40