Author Topic: Double meanings: Lines that can be taken more than one way  (Read 122714 times)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Double meanings: Lines that can be taken more than one way
« Reply #250 on: November 07, 2006, 06:31:07 pm »
In my last viewing of the movie (which was over a month ago, and I'm steamed about that!) I was struck by the wording in the divorce court. It starts just before that scene and goes like this:

ALMA
As far behind as we are on the bills, it makes me
nervous not to take no precaution....
ENNIS looks her in the face.
ENNIS
(stiffens)
If you don't want no more of my kids, I'll be happy
to leave you alone.
ALMA
(under her breath)
...I'd have 'em, if you'd support 'em....
ENNIS rolls off her. ALMA rolls on her side with her back to ENNIS, and with a look of despair on her face reaches
up and turns off the bedside lamp. WE HEAR:
JUDGE
(voice over)
...Custody of the two minor children…
117. INT: WYOMING COURTHOUSE: DAY: NOVEMBER 6: 1975
ENNIS and ALMA in a bleak little courtroom: divorce court. Grim. ALMA looks sad, but determined...cries quietly.
ENNIS looks miserable.
JUDGE (CONT’D)
…Alma Del Mar Jr. and Jennifer del Mar, is awarded
to plaintiff. Defendant is ordered to pay child
support to the plaintiff in the sum of $125 per
month, for each of the minor children until they
reach the age of 18 years...
(raises gavel)
...Del Mar divorce granted, this 6th day of
November 1975.

...So Ennis ended up supporting his children, but at the will of Alma. The prevalence of the words take, have, custody, must have hit Ennis like a bear trap around his leg!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #251 on: November 08, 2006, 04:39:45 pm »
This passage from the story also plays into the "take" and "leave" discussion:

...and showed it was all right by taking Thanksgiving dinner with Alma, her grocer, and the kids.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #252 on: November 27, 2006, 11:01:59 pm »
More essential BBM reading...
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #253 on: January 24, 2007, 12:49:50 am »
Just bumping a classic... how did this one fall so far down the page list!
 :o

Next time I post here I'll post an actual "double meaning."  I promise.  ;)
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

squashcourt

« Reply #254 on: January 25, 2007, 10:25:37 pm »
Hi,

What's your opinion or take on this:

Ennis to Jack:  "You may be a sinner but I ain't had the the opportunity yet ..."

Remember thuis scene when both were 4 sheets to the wind after killing that bottle of whiksey (I think it was Old Turkey bourbon)...

Was this an invitation from Ennis to you know what? 

You know, my feeling is that it is Ennis who first fell in love with Jack. Ennis's body language from the scene when he was washing the pots and pan in the running stream and looking at Jack up on the Mountain with an anxious and apprehensive forbidding feeling about Jack.

Pierre -  ;)

Offline Ladyeve

• Don't Say Much
« Reply #255 on: January 28, 2007, 12:23:02 am »
Hi,

IMO,  Ennis was a virgin,  he felt comfortable enough with Jack to admit this,  I think Alma was first and only girlfriend. His parent died, sister and brother married and left him on his on his own, what was the next step for him?  Marriage. Ennis was didn't have a roving eye for anyone at that point.

Yes I think he was always fascinated with Jack.  Jack was open, full of opions, animated, so unlike him.    I think that night started out as a couple of guys talking, drinking and getting drunk.  Jack made that first move, but something ignited in Ennis. 

I think they both were attractive to each other, when Jack was with the sheep he looked at the smoke from the camp fire, thinking of Ennis.   

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #256 on: January 28, 2007, 11:22:58 am »
I think you're right Ladyeve that Ennis was admitting to Jack that he was a virgin. All during the movie, even when they had known each other for nearly 20 years, they spoke in code or body language, because that is "the cowboy way." Works great sometimes, but when they misinterpreted each other's code, those were the heartbreaking moments!

Just a clarification, when Ennis spoke those words about "you may be a sinner" they had together drunk about a half-bottle of whiskey (it could have been Wild Turkey, but I think it was not that good quality, definitely bourbon whicsky tho). Jack handed Ennis the bottle with an interested "mmmm!" sound, and then Ennis killed the bottle, which explains why he was staggering into the tent, while Jack was keeping his wits about him. The "you may be a sinner" line was very interesting because the way Ennis said "sinner" it did not have the connotations that it usually has. It was like Ennis looked up to Jack because he was a sinner, that he had "taken the opportunity."

Squashcourt, your ideas about Ennis are right-on. If you look at the story, there are several phrases that show that Ennis looked up to Jack, such as "he was grateful for the companionship, where none had been expected."

Keep the questions and ideas coming!!

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #257 on: January 28, 2007, 12:06:21 pm »
Just a clarification, when Ennis spoke those words about "you may be a sinner" they had together drunk about a half-bottle of whiskey (it could have been Wild Turkey, but I think it was not that good quality, definitely bourbon whicsky tho).

No way of knowing what brand it was, F-R, and you and I know why!  ;D  ;)

To explain: When Front-Ranger, EDelMar and I met in Denver last month, EDelMar informed us that when movies show underage characters drinking alcohol, they hide the brand name so as not to get in trouble with the liquor manufacturer. That's why you can't tell what kind of beer they're drinking in the bar, or what kind of whiskey they drink on Brokeback. Later, when they're old enough to drink legally, it's not a problem, which is why we can see at the end that they're drinking Old Rose.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #258 on: January 29, 2007, 10:21:02 am »
Thanks for reminding me of that great day!

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #259 on: January 31, 2007, 04:21:24 pm »
I think 'You may be a sinner...' was one of the keys to FNIT. It was a seduction. In the film Jack seems to have fallen in love with Ennis during the campfire scene[ That's more words then I spoke in a year...] From that moment Jack was in love with Ennis, and Ennis was waaay intrigued by Jack but couldn't handle it.

You may be a sinner is a key---Notice the up and down smirky glance Ennis gives Jack after Jack hands him the bottle, which symbolises the Apple in Eden. That glance says it all: Boy, I KNOW what you're at! Jack for his part has this OMG I'M IN!!!!!!! look of delight. He slows down the booze, Ennis speeds it up.  Why? because Jack wanted Ennis and stayed sober, Ennis wanted Jack so he got drunk.
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"