Author Topic: Double meanings: Lines that can be taken more than one way  (Read 122658 times)

Offline chowhound

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
Re: Double meanings: Lines that can be taken more than one way
« Reply #290 on: September 12, 2013, 03:17:47 pm »
When commenting on the age and build of the hustler, it may be worth remembering that this is, in fact, the film's photographer, Rodrigo Prieto. Apparently, he stepped into the role at the at the last moment when the actor who was supposed to play the role was somehow unavailable.

Roderigo Prieto is indeed Mexican. He was born in Mexico City in 1965 so he'd be around 39 when this shot was taken.

Offline x-man

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #291 on: September 13, 2013, 07:38:25 pm »
Prieto being a late replacement does not change a thing.  Ang Lee is a careful film maker.  He gave us exactly the hustler he wanted us to see.
Happiness is the lasting pleasure of the mind grasping the intelligible order of reality.      --Leibniz

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #292 on: October 24, 2013, 12:14:53 pm »

About some Double Meanings:
The over-obvious loquacious plumber butt shoveling asphalt w/Ennis: “…I’m getting’ too old to be breakin’ my back shoveling asphalt.”

Bumping for Throwback Thursday, following Serious Crayons' lead! Is this the topic you were trying to find, Katherine?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #293 on: October 24, 2013, 03:35:09 pm »
Bumping for Throwback Thursday, following Serious Crayons' lead! Is this the topic you were trying to find, Katherine?

That is a reference to the tar-spreading scene, but it's not an extended discussion of it. I have always loved that it seems like such a little throw-away situation-establishing scene, yet is so packed with meaning and nuance. When Casey Cornelius first pointed it out, it opened my eyes to the possibilities of other subtle double meanings and subtle symbolism running through the whole movie. Of which, of course, there are tons.

Offline x-man

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #294 on: October 24, 2013, 05:46:47 pm »
The tar-spreading scene,.... . I have always loved that it seems like such a little throw-away situation-establishing scene, yet is so packed with meaning and nuance.

Sc, please say more.
Happiness is the lasting pleasure of the mind grasping the intelligible order of reality.      --Leibniz

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #295 on: October 24, 2013, 07:00:15 pm »
That is a reference to the tar-spreading scene, but it's not an extended discussion of it. I have always loved that it seems like such a little throw-away situation-establishing scene, yet is so packed with meaning and nuance. When Casey Cornelius first pointed it out, it opened my eyes to the possibilities of other subtle double meanings and subtle symbolism running through the whole movie. Of which, of course, there are tons.

Katherine, I found these re Timmy:

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,10408.msg203523.html#msg203523

This is from IMDb with you referencing Casey, but talking to clancypants

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,3054.msg55325.html#msg55325

This is a BM thread with you and ruthlesslyunsentimental (aka clancypants)

Couldn't find a direct Casey reference.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #296 on: October 25, 2013, 05:51:12 pm »
Thanks, Paul! The Casey conversation occurred earlier, but that one sure was interesting, and fun to reread. I'd forgotten about the whole pavement = paranoia connection.

Plus, going down a few posts, I got to this fun comment that made me LOL:

Quote from: ruthlesslyunsentimental on July 08, 2006, 01:35:14 am
? Jack is still a potato!

Is that why Ennis sometimes calls him Spud, as in "Somethin' I've been meaning to tell ya, Spud?"