Author Topic: "Lust, Caution" (Ang Lee's Next Film)  (Read 29983 times)

Offline stlrob

• Don't Say Much
"Lust, Caution" (Ang Lee's Next Film)
« on: May 23, 2006, 07:40:36 pm »
From the Hollywood Reporter:

CANNES -- Oscar winner Ang Lee is reuniting with longtime collaborator James Schamus and Focus Features to direct his follow-up to "Brokeback Mountain," the espionage thriller "Lust, Caution." Set in World War II-era Shanghai, the Chinese-language film is expected to begin production this fall. The film will be exec produced by Focus CEO Schamus. The screenplay will be adapted from Eileen Chang's short story by Lee's "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" screenwriter Wang Hui-Ling. Bill Kong, who produced "Crouching Tiger" is reteaming with Lee to produce, and Schamus will serve as exec producer. "Ang is going to be making a very exciting film that's unlike anything he's done before," said Schamus, who's collaborated with Lee on nine features." ‘Lust, Caution' is a uniquely Asian story which, in Ang's hands, will surprise and attract audiences around the world." Focus has worldwide rights to the film, excluding Asia. Focus Features International is handling overseas sales and distribution.

Yet another genre that Ang will make his own.

--Modified title to include film name.  --Lynne
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 01:24:57 pm by Lynne »

Offline JennyC

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Ang Lee's Next Film
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 07:54:41 pm »
Interesting news!

I have heard from Pre-sequel to CTHD to The Seven Sages in the Bamboo Forrest.  This is a new one. Let's hope it's true.  I am going to find out which Eileen Chang's short story this is.  Quite a few stories (short and long) have already been adapted to the screen.

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2006, 08:22:37 pm »
I'm lookin forward to it!  I had heard that he had considered retirement.....I'm glad he didn't!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
Lust, Caution Gets Financing
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 04:25:46 pm »
Interesting glimpse into how this whole movie-makin thing works:

Focus Features Gets Firm Financing

Focus Features, which has given us "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind," "Lost in Translation," and "Garden State," has made a slate financing deal with Dresdner Kleinwort, the investment branch of Dresdner Bank AG, worth a reported $200 million.

Slate financing is basically an investment in a film portfolio, rather than a single film, in order to spread out the risk that comes in placing all the eggs in a single basket. In this case, the dollars will cover between 20-25 upcoming films, which include the next projects from David Cronenberg ("Eastern Promises") and Ang Lee ("Se jie" aka "Lust, Caution").

The resources cover only production aspects of film projects, and the investment has no stipulations or ramifications for project selection, or for any creative aspects. Focus Features is also, under the terms of the deal, still free to seek other forms of financing, though perhaps they won't, as they're trumpeting the deal as the largest yet made for a specialty-films division.

They also clarify that this deal does not mean larger budget films are on the way, only that it takes some of the guesswork out of their production bookkeeping (and possibly an expanded slate in the near future.)

http://www.filmfodder.com/mt-weblog/archives/003528.shtml
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 02:00:00 pm »

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 03:39:43 pm »
Great photo, Elle! Thanks!
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: "Lust, Caution" (Ang Lee's Next Film)
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 11:51:55 am »
If I ever put aside my fascination with Brokeback Mountain, it will not be until this movie comes out! So, when is it expected in theaters?
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 04:02:41 pm »
If I ever put aside my fascination with Brokeback Mountain, it will not be until this movie comes out! So, when is it expected in theaters?

Accordng to its IMDb page http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0808357/, Se jie is due out September 28, 2007 - one week after Heath in I'm Not There.  We should gather somewhere and see them both together!  :)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2007, 05:34:30 pm »
Well, sfericsf was thinking about putting together another viewing at the Castro in late summer. Maybe he could be persuaded to make it a triple billing??
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 03:03:51 am »
A video preview of "Lust, Caution" on the Focus Features website.