Author Topic: "Lust, Caution" (Ang Lee's Next Film)  (Read 29991 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Ang Lee's New Film, "Lust, Caution"
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2007, 04:27:20 pm »
Ang Lee Film Surprise Winner in Venice

VENICE (Reuters) - Taiwanese director Ang Lee's sexually explicit "Lust, Caution" was the surprise winner of the Golden Lion for best picture at the Venice film festival on Saturday, just two years after he won with "Brokeback Mountain."

The movie is a World War Two thriller set in Shanghai featuring long and sometimes violent sex scenes which Lee has hinted were real.

"It is overwhelming, because this movie has taken me to some very difficult places," Lee told the red carpet award ceremony on the Lido waterfront.

"I have invited you to come along with me and in the end to stay down there with me ... You are the seven samurais, I needed your help," he added, addressing the seven-member jury.

Brian De Palma, whose "Redacted" shocked audiences in Venice with its brutal reconstruction of the real-life rape and murder of a 14-year-old Iraqi girl by U.S. soldiers, won the Silver Lion award for best director.

Tunisian-born director Abdellatif Kechiche and his drama "La Graine et le mulet" ("The Secret of the Grain"), was one of two runner-up jury prize winners, and was described by the jury as the "revelation" of the 2007 edition of the festival.

The film is about an old Arab man and his family seeking to realize their dream of opening a restaurant in southern France.

While not overtly political, it touches on the issue of integration by immigrants, and whether they have what the director called the "right to be different."

Todd Haynes' "I'm Not There," one of six U.S. productions in the 23-strong main competition, took the other runner-up prize for his conceptual biopic about singer-songwriter Bob Dylan.

In a bold piece of casting, Australian-born Cate Blanchett was one of six performers to play the singer at various stages of his life, and it paid off when she was named best actress in Venice this year.

Hollywood star Brad Pitt was the surprise winner of the best actor award for his portrayal of outlaw Jesse James in "The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford."

His co-star, Casey Affleck, who played James' killer Ford as a creepy social misfit, had been widely expected to scoop the prize.

Venice director Marco Mueller, facing competition from festivals in Rome and Toronto, succeeded in attracting some of Hollywood's biggest stars, although his decision to invite so many U.S. films was criticized for making Venice too commercial.

Pitt and partner Angelina Jolie came to the canal city with their children, and George Clooney, Woody Allen, Johnny Depp, Charlize Theron and Keira Knightley all wowed the noisy crowds gathering along the red carpet each night.

Reuters
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2007, 05:49:55 pm »
Yep, saw it posted as the main story on THEDRUDGEREPORT.  I know, it's such a right-wing website, but he just loves to cover Hollywood.  Hopefully, the American Academy will give it a nom to give their show some "controversy."  You know, so some rightwing bloggers  or right wing film critics (MICHAEL MEDVED) can go off about how low Hollwyood has sunk.  ;)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2007, 11:37:51 pm »

YES!

Go, Ang, go!  And James Schamus, too! :-*
Ich bin ein Brokie...

moremojo

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2007, 01:14:58 am »
Wow--I did not expect this, considering some of the equivocal comments I'd encountered on this latest film. Congratulations to Mr. Lee (could another Oscar be in the works?).

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2007, 01:20:16 am »
Bravo, Ang!

Offline adrian

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2007, 02:10:51 am »

WOW, this news made my day!
There were only two of them on the mountain flying in the euphoric, bitter air, looking down on the hawks back and crawling lights of vehicles on the plain below....they believed themselves invisible.   A. Proulx

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2007, 02:26:33 am »
I cannot wait to see this!  Very cool that Ang Lee has done it again!
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2007, 06:08:01 am »
Wow, that's great news. Congrats to Mr. Ang Lee  :D!

Offline luigival

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2007, 09:59:00 am »
So glad it happened again! Here's the link to the website of the Biennale for the latest official information on the winners:

www.labiennale.org

And don't forget that besides Ang, also Rodrigo Prieto got the Lion as best photography.
Go Ang, go Focus, go Schamus, go Rodrigo, and (let me be nationalistic...) go Italy for being once more the country highlighting excellent cinema!!!!
Luigi
They were two friends of mine

moremojo

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2007, 11:07:09 am »
go Italy for being once more the country highlighting excellent cinema!!!!
Yes, Venice is the oldest film festival in the world, and to my mind, is even more prestigious than Cannes, though the latter has enjoyed a higher profile. I think the Golden Lion at Venice is worth more than a dozen Oscars.