Author Topic: "Lust, Caution" (Ang Lee's Next Film)  (Read 30013 times)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: Ang Lee's New Film, "Lust, Caution"
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2007, 11:30:53 am »
Yes, Venice is the oldest film festival in the world, and to my mind, is even more prestigious than Cannes, though the latter has enjoyed a higher profile. I think the Golden Lion at Venice is worth more than a dozen Oscars.

I agree.  They actually have a skilled jury.  Marketing campaigns, mass distribution of DVD's, slander, pocket-lining, voting without seeing the movie, etc., have little or no impact on this award.  Y'know what I' m sayin'?
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline luigival

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2007, 12:20:39 pm »
I agree.  They actually have a skilled jury.  Marketing campaigns, mass distribution of DVD's, slander, pocket-lining, voting without seeing the movie, etc., have little or no impact on this award.  Y'know what I' m sayin'?
Absolutely right Meryl and moremojo. In a world that is more and more nourished by image other than substance, it's good to see that still some good and foolproof jury exists, hopefully uninfluenced by all these gimmicks thrown out by the big moneymakers. At Venice the jury was made up of six film directors (two Italians, one Mexican, one French, one Newzealander, one Chinese), aiming at quality and values more than simple public appeal. Just as they did two years ago...
They were two friends of mine

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
New Article from USA TODAY: Ang Lee shares 'Lust' for life, filmmaking
« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2007, 06:15:14 pm »
Ang Lee shares 'Lust' for life, filmmaking
By Susan Wloszczyna, USA TODAY

TORONTO — Ang Lee just flew back to this city's film festival after a quick stop in Venice, all the while toting a Golden Lion in a large box. And, yes, his arms are tired.

Actually, his whole being is exhausted after a quick trip to pick up the top prize at the Italian festival. He made the same journey when Brokeback Mountain took home the trophy in 2005.

This time, the win is for Lust, Caution, his espionage thriller opening Sept. 28 that is set in Japanese-occupied Shanghai during World War II. Beyond the fact it is Lee's first feature since taking the best-director Oscar for Brokeback, the movie has been gaining attention with its box-office-poison rating of NC-17.

The restrictive label is the result of three bouts of acrobatic sex between a collaborator with the Japanese (Tony Leung) and a seductive young student (Tang Wei), who goes undercover to set the stage for an assassination.

Just as the risk-taking Brokeback benefited from the awards attention, Lust, Caution needs similar help to attract more than the merely curious.

But Taiwan-born Lee, 52, and James Schamus, head of Focus Features and the movie's co-writer and executive producer, aren't about to cut a single frame of the explosive passion, save for showings in China, where Brokeback was banned.

"It's a miracle they let me do Lust, Caution there," Lee says. "This regime was never allowed to be portrayed on film before. I just hope in Taiwan I can show an uncensored version in every theater."

Lee, fortifying himself with sips of hot tea, talks about the depiction of lust in Lust, his continuing passion for boundary-pushing projects and the Brokeback aftermath.

Q: Your films often take a frank approach to the repercussions of desire and repression. Should we be surprised that you went for an NC-17?

A: Usually it's more subtle. I never really came from the exact desire, so to speak. It was never my thing. It's new territory. But it's Lust, Caution, and the lust itself is the theme of the movie. Not only lust for sex, but lust for life. I knew I wanted to go deep, I didn't know how deep. In making a movie, I'm a different person.

Q: At least the rating is making headlines.

A: People say it's the hottest sex scene they have ever seen. I don't know if it means they enjoyed it, because it is so intense. It's just the movie I wanted to make. I didn't care if it would lose money.

Q: What was it like to direct those episodes?

A: I coached the actors through the scenes and verbalized it. It kills. I'm embodying both of them. I end up playing both parts. With the girl, I put myself into her heart. It's driving me crazy. It's a film experience I never experienced before.

Q: Did the making of Brokeback free you somehow to do this?

A: That movie was easy for me, actually. I was kind of collapsing after the two big movies (2003's Hulk and 2000's Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon). I was wrecked. I sort of earned that relaxation making Brokeback Mountain, and I think people appreciated the modesty. It helped me recover my love for people and filmmaking. Lust, Caution scared me more. It came from a woman writer who examined female sexualities and challenged the patriotism of the Chinese. It was very brave of her.

Q: Why did you want to do another film in your native language and to shoot it in China?

A: The Chinese language takes so much more out of me. It's more personal, it's harder to make art out of it, and historically I feel more responsible to make it accurate. I'm kind of a big figure in filmmaking over there and also culturally. It's a lot of burden on my shoulders.

Q: There are more games of mah-jongg in Lust, Caution than steamy encounters. Why do the women engage in these marathons?

A: The short story it's based on, which is 28 pages in Chinese, a quarter of it involves mah-jongg.

Q: You were annoyed at your Venice press conference when someone asked whether the sex was real and you replied, "Have you seen the film?" But isn't that a compliment?

A. It's hard enough to direct those scenes. It's very hard to talk about it.

You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2007, 12:52:41 pm »
I *cannot* wait to see this film.  And not because of the NC-17 rating.  Actually, with just about any other director, that would scare me away.  But with this one I know it will be beautiful and haunting.
No more beans!

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2007, 01:10:50 am »
I linked this thread to the forum calendar.  LUST, CAUTION opens for limited release in the US on 9/28.  This link shows release dates for other countries including Great Britain, Germany, The Netherlands, Spain, etc..

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0808357/releaseinfo

I'm still unclear about where it will be screened on limited release day and if or when it will have a wider release in the US, but I will keep looking.
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2007, 10:54:21 am »
Cool!  My favorite local theater doesn't show listings that far ahead yet, but I'll keep checking for it.  It's playing "Across the Universe" in limited release now, so I have high hopes.

Thanks, Lynne.  :)
No more beans!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2007, 11:24:36 pm »
Official trailer

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CizN-DvGhrc[/youtube]

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2007, 11:28:37 pm »
Press conference in Shanghai.  It looks like the photo I posted at the beginning of this thread is from that time.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohHzZj211cQ[/youtube]

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2007, 11:30:48 pm »
That's neat, Clarissa, thanks!  8)

Interesting choice of music for the trailer.  It's an arrangement of King Phillip's aria from Verdi's Don Carlo, titled "Ella giammai m'amo."  The translation is "She never loved me."
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2007, 11:31:52 pm »

Interesting choice of music for the trailer.  It's an arrangement of King Phillip's aria from Verdi's Don Carlo, titled "Ella giammai m'amo."  The translation is "She never loved me."

Hunh.  It's beautiful and haunting.  Thanks for telling us what it is, Meryl.  I was wondering.