Author Topic: "Lust, Caution" (Ang Lee's Next Film)  (Read 29985 times)

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
"Lust, Caution" a Hit in China
« Reply #80 on: November 07, 2007, 03:47:02 am »
According to today's NY Times, Lust, Caution is a big hit in China!  Go Ang Lee!!  :D

Ang Lee's ''Lust, Caution'' raked in $5.4 million in its first four days of release in China, despite cuts by censors.  Citing the film's distributor here, China Film Group Corp., the official Xinhua News Agency said the sexually explicit spy thriller already was on track to become one of the year's biggest box-office draws.  ''The movie has so far had the best box-office returns of all the movies shown in our theater over the past three months,'' Xinhua quoted Chen Ji, a manager with the Oriental New Century Theater in Beijing, as saying.

The full article is here:

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/arts/AP-Film-Lust-Caution.html?ex=1195016400&en=e84923d10627f753&ei=5070&emc=eta1
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: "Lust, Caution" (Ang Lee's Next Film)
« Reply #81 on: November 11, 2007, 08:35:03 pm »
I saw this today.
 ;D  (wasn't sure if it was going to show in theaters in my town or not)

A few preliminary thoughts - definitely stomach-churning; I thought very well done; yes there was some explicit sex, but it wasn't gratuitous - can't imagine the movie without those scenes, actually; Ang's reference that Brokeback Mountain was heaven, but this was hell, seems fitting; I knew the movie was going to be long, but I didn't find the pace bothersome, and it certainly didn't seem any more slowly paced than Brokeback Mountain.

I would definitely like to see the movie again, so I can pay more attention to things other than the immediate plot...

I thought all the actors did great...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 04:13:06 pm by BelAir »
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #82 on: December 08, 2007, 03:08:42 pm »
Ang Lee keeps winning more prizes...

Lee film sweeps Taiwan 'Oscars'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/7134533.stm
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #83 on: December 08, 2007, 09:46:24 pm »
Thanks so much for the article, Fabienne.  Go Ang, go!  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #84 on: December 09, 2007, 05:22:12 pm »
It is to be expected in his home country, but it's nice to know that they appreciate him!!

Best picture, best director, best actor, best screenplay, best newcomer, best score...

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2008, 04:25:17 am »
Well, we finally saw Lust, Caution last week.

I found this bbc-review

Ang Lee's follow up to Brokeback Mountain is another tale of forbidden passion, but instead of dewy-eyed cowboys, the lovers are opponents in a deadly game of espionage. In Japanese occupied Shanghai, a young woman named Wong Chia Chi (Tei Wang) is recruited by the resistance to seduce the powerful Mr Yee (Tony Leung), a collaborator with the invaders. Over the course of several years, their relationship develops from mutual deception into a terrible sado-masochistic dependence.

Lust, Caution sees Ang Lee using the sedate formality of his earliest releases to tell a far more explosive story. Be warned: this is a film which proceeds at exactly its own pace, allotting as much screen time to the gossip of society ladies playing Mah-Jong as it does to a heart-stoppingly brutal killing. Much fuss has been made of the extremely frank sexual encounters between Leung and Tang, but the controversy is pointless: the sex is integral to the film. More than that even; the sex is the film. That title says it all really, Lust, Caution exists in the uneasy territory between orgasmic abandonment and suspicion. It's more like a chess game than a romance.

"A MESMERISING STUDY IN EMOTIONAL CRUELTY"

Leung and Tang, the old timer and the newcomer, both submerge themselves in the emotional muck with enormous courage, and Lee frames their helpless struggles with the cool detachment of a lepidopterist pinning a butterfly. This is a stern, steely film that requires considerable patience, but stick with it for long enough and you'll be rewarded with a mesmerising study in emotional cruelty.

I agree that the film is all about emotional cruelty. It's intens and hard to watch at certain times. But I disagree that it requires considerable patience. I knew it was a long movie and was worried a bit that my attention would drop at a certain point, but it didn't.

The cinematography is stunning. And despite the fact that as the review says, the sex scenes are the heart of the film, I think that the scene where the young woman sings for mr. Yee, really shows the intensity of what's going on between them, what the 'lust' is based on.

I think it's a must see movie.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #86 on: February 18, 2008, 01:41:51 pm »
Thanks for the review, Fabienne.  I think it's one of the best summing-ups I've seen of it.  I'd forgotten the scene where she sings for Yee.  So many terrific details, thanks to our Ang.  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #87 on: February 18, 2008, 03:33:31 pm »
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
"dewy-eyed cowboys,"  Now, that's a new way to describe Jack and Ennis.  It's sort of weird and sort of cute at the same time.

What exactly are the connotations to "dewy-eyed" anyway?

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #88 on: February 18, 2008, 04:47:53 pm »
I echo what Meryl said - that's a great review, Fabienne.  I really want to own the DVD of Lust, Caution.  I remember thinking during the singing scene about how vulnerable, yet powerful she was...This one really demands repeated viewings.  The line about Lee's detachment - 'lepidopterist pinning a butterfly' - spot on image, huh?

Ah, dewy-eyed cowboys...I think I take the meaning, but it doesn't literally translate well, in my opinion.  When I think of dewy-eyed cowboys, I remember the scene where Ennis looks at Jack with such affection, a softness of gaze and loving smile, teasing him about the harmonica and how he'll run those sheep off again if he doesn't quiet down...'Dewy' implies moisture, which makes me think of tears - hence my remark about literal translation being different from the meaning.

"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #89 on: February 18, 2008, 04:50:55 pm »

Ah, dewy-eyed cowboys...I think I take the meaning, but it doesn't literally translate well, in my opinion.  When I think of dewy-eyed cowboys, I remember the scene where Ennis looks at Jack with such affection, a softness of gaze and loving smile, teasing him about the harmonica and how he'll run those sheep off again if he doesn't quiet down...'Dewy' implies moisture, which makes me think of tears - hence my remark about literal translation being different from the meaning.

Thanks Lynne.  :-*

I'm still sort of loving that kooky/ cute description. :laugh: :laugh:

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie