Author Topic: IMAGINE YOU....AND JAKE...OR HEATH...  (Read 10594 times)

rtprod

IMAGINE YOU....AND JAKE...OR HEATH...
« on: May 24, 2006, 12:03:46 pm »
Let's play gang!

Imagine you are standing in your local CD store -- whether that's Manhattan's Virgin Megastore in Union Square or Boca Raton's Borders or even Wichita's Music & More.  You've got your iPOD on, you're thumbing through latest releases or even sampling something on the listening station. 

You look up...

Standing right across from you, alone, doing the same exact thing is.....Jake.....or Heath...  Appears to be no one else around.  Actually, there's no one else in the entire store except for the two of you.  You can't even find a sales associate.  This Jake/Heath hasn't noticed you yet.  But this just might be a golden opportunity. 

WHAT DO YOU DO?   :laugh:

rt

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: IMAGINE YOU....AND JAKE...OR HEATH...
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2006, 12:18:34 pm »

rt

Do you want the real Leslie, or the fantasy Leslie?

Real Leslie: I have been near four "famous" people in my life: Paul Simon, Ric Ocasek (lead singer for the Cars), Peter Wolf (lead singer for the J. Geils band) and Andy Williams. By near, I mean actually near them long enough that I could have done something, like say hello or have a conversation. And in all four cases I did absolutely nothing. I just clammed up and stared at them, for a second, until I realized I wasn't being polite, and then stopped looking, too.

So, at the Border's in South Portland, I would probably do the same thing...stare a little, make a mental photograph, and then tell the story to the family at dinner.

Fantasy Leslie, on the other hand, would immediately contrive some way to get Jake/Heath out of Border's and into the Marriott across the street...effortlessly and elegantly...with total savoir faire...
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

vkm91941

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2006, 12:34:35 pm »
Let's play gang!

Imagine you are standing in your local CD store -- whether that's Manhattan's Virgin Megastore in Union Square or Boca Raton's Borders or even Wichita's Music & More.  You've got your iPOD on, you're thumbing through latest releases or even sampling something on the listening station. 

You look up...

Standing right across from you, alone, doing the same exact thing is.....Jake.....or Heath...  Appears to be no one else around.  Actually, there's no one else in the entire store except for the two of you.  You can't even find a sales associate.  This Jake/Heath hasn't noticed you yet.  But this just might be a golden opportunity. 

rt

WELL....

If it's Jake, I would get his attention remind him of our meeting in 2002 on the set of Moonlight Mile and strike up a conversation.  Congratulate him on his BAFTA and tell how much I admired his  performance in BBM.  Comimiserate over the paparazzi but tell him how lovely the photos of him and the dogs are.  Then ask if he's been back to San Diego recently and suggest he might want to come on down sometime and I of course would be happy to show him around, he could even bring the dogs...LOL

If it's Heath....I don't know, we've never been introduced, knowing how nervous and shy he is, I'd probably just leave him alone completely or just smile and say hi like I would to anyone else.

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2006, 12:42:58 pm »
Let's play gang!

You look up...

rt

I had an experience similar to the one you describe above with Javier Bardem about a year ago, and I didn't do anything! He was standing right next to me at the snack bar of a movie theater. He even looked at me because it was just the two of us there, (and the bartender of course) I just turned my sight away. I'm not a shy person but I don't know what happens to me when I run into celebrities.  So I guess that if run into Jake or Heath I'll do the same. Hopefully not! althought I might say hi but I don't picture myself having a conversation with them unless they start it.
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2006, 12:45:58 pm »
Well... if I'd meet them in my local CD store, it would mean they are in Brussels! I'd go over there and would freaking wanna know, what the he** they are doing in Brussels!  :laugh:  ;D

Or I'd just smile shyly (spelling?) and become all nervous and silent.. and bite my tongue later, for not having had the guts to say something. But it would all depend on 'how' alone we are in the store..

~ j U d E

MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2006, 12:51:59 pm »
Well, unless either of them struck up a conversation with me first (and even then my tongue, along with the rest of me, would probably be paralyzed), I wouldn't say or do anything save steal a couple of discrete glances and feel warm and tingly all over.

I have this thing about approaching famous people when they're in their own personal space.  Ed and I were in the West End about 10 years ago, and I remember I had recently seen "Mrs. Brown" for the first time and was completely in awe of Judi Dench.  We were waiting for the double-decker tour bus to make its rounds back to our stop and noticed a group of people coming out of a theater about 10 yards from where we were standing.  Suddenly the little group was mobbed by people with pens and books, and I said, "I wonder who it is?"  As the crowd dissipated, I noticed a couple of theater actors I recognized - one, even, who was in the play we had just seen the night before.  As the group of them separated, out emerged from the center none other than Judi Dench.  I whispered to Ed, "Oh, my God.  It's Judi Dench.  The one we liked so much in that "Mrs. Brown" movie we watched a couple weeks ago, remember?"  She was walking in our direction, but not looking at us - just straight ahead.  I was trying very hard not to stare and to look nonchalant.  I remember she had this umbrella she was carrying like a cane - it was almost as tall as she was.  He whispered, "Well, go get her autograph."  I said, "No way.  If I'd known it was her when they were mobbing her, maybe, but not now that she's in her own space."    She waved her umbrella for a taxi, and one immediately appeared and whisked her away.  I've never regretted not bothering her.
No more beans!

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2006, 12:53:45 pm »
If it were Jake.....I'd walk up next to him and whisper in his ear  "Don'tcha remember how good it was last time?   Meet me behind the store in 10 minutes"  and then calmly walk out of the store.

Hey,  50-50 chance he does right?     LOL    :laugh:

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2006, 12:55:05 pm »
If it were Jake.....I'd walk up next to him and whisper in his ear  "Don'tcha remember how good it was last time?   Meet me behind the store in 10 minutes"  and then calmly walk out of the store.

The first non-shy, non-tongue twisted person in the group. LOL!
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2006, 01:00:20 pm »
David, you are my hero.   ;D
No more beans!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2006, 01:01:36 pm »
Barb, that's really classy of you, letting Judi Dench alone in her own space. That's what I would probably do if I ran into Heath or Jake as described. I would tell myself I was respecting their privacy, though I would have to admit to myself that I was really just rationalizing cowardice.

On the other hand, two weeks ago at a subscribers party for the Pennsylvania Ballet, I actually found the nerve to go up to my favorite dancer when he was momentarily alone and introduce myself. Somehow I found the tongue and the breath. I apologized for intruding and said I really enjoyed his performance in a particular show, and at that his face just lit up like a 100-watt bulb. It made me feel really good for finding the guts to speak to him.

So maybe I'd be able to find the nerve to say something similar to Heath or Jake. ... Jake. ... Jake. ...  ;)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline j.U.d.E.

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2006, 01:05:27 pm »
..subscribers party for the Pennsylvania Ballet
Hunh?!  ;D

It made me feel really good for finding the guts to speak to him.
:-*

~ j U d E
MLK - - - - - - - - - - - - HAL - - - - - - - - - - - - BHO
*15 jan 1929 - †04 apr 1968 | *04 apr 1979 - † 22 jan 2008 | *04 aug 1961 -

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2006, 01:05:38 pm »

HAHAHA  :laugh:

Well, unless either of them struck up a conversation with me first (and even then my tongue, along with the rest of me, would probably be paralyzed), I wouldn't say or do anything save steal a couple of discrete glances and feel warm and tingly all over.

I probably would do the same...

Offline David

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2006, 01:08:18 pm »
David, you are my hero.   ;D

LOL!    I have a fertile imagination!   In reality I would have walked out of the store and my knees would have buckled out from under me!

But it would be fun to walk up next to him and say:"you horse-son  son-of-a bitch, I wish I could quit you Jack Fuckin Twist"

dmmb_Mandy

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2006, 01:08:34 pm »
Whoa. You trying to start another NC-17 thread?  ;) 'Cause it might easily go in that direction with the response that I have in mind!  :D But I won't.

More later.

Offline David

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2006, 01:11:23 pm »
two weeks ago at a subscribers party for the Pennsylvania Ballet,

What color hankerchief do you wear to THAT kinda function Jeff?    ROFLOL    :laugh:

Sorry, I couldn't resist!    I just pictured you wearing that blacket leather shirt and chaps to the Ballet!   ;D

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2006, 01:11:47 pm »

LOL!    I have a fertile imagination!   In reality I would have walked out of the store and my knees would have buckled out from under me!

But it would be fun to walk up next to him and say:"you horse-son  son-of-a bitch, I wish I could quit you Jack Fuckin Twist"

Actually, I bet that'd get a smile out of him.  And anything that does that is worth the price of admission.
No more beans!

Offline David

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2006, 01:13:29 pm »
Whoa. You trying to start another NC-17 thread?  ;) 'Cause it might easily go in that direction with the response that I have in mind!  :D But I won't.

More later.

NO!   :laugh:    more now!

Offline David

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2006, 01:16:52 pm »
Actually, I bet that'd get a smile out of him.  And anything that does that is worth the price of admission.

You are so right Barb!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2006, 02:33:44 pm »
Well, judging from the way I handled my recent encounter with a much less exciting star, I wouldn't be very suave. I spotted Dave Pirner (lead singer of Soul Asylum, dated Winona Ryder for a while, is extremely cute) in the liquor store a couple of weeks ago. So as we were were leaving, I muttered the fact under my breath to MY 10-YEAR-OLD SON, who like me is a Soul Asylum fan. He immediately insisted on going back into the store and walking right up and meeting him. Which he did, very charmingly, while I browsed the Chilean wines and pretended to not to recognize either Dave Pirner OR my son.

So I guess when I meet Jake or Heath in the bookstore, I hope I will have my son with me. Though once he's charmed them into stopping over to the Marriott across the street, he'll have to wait in the lobby.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 05:12:37 pm by latjoreme »

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2006, 02:45:45 pm »
Hey Jake, I really like your work.  Jack Twist was just a knock out performance.  Congratualations on the BAFTA  :)   Looking forward to seeing you in ZODIAC.

Does that sound detached enough. I mean I would say it really fast because I wouldn't wanta be cutting into his personal time...  It's not I'd saying "Jake, why didn't you answer my letter."  Movie stars never answer fan mail. You gotta send them a first edition of TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD or something like that.

HEATH.  Postion myself so that he'd have to walk by me. He's shy so I wouldn't walk to him. Just place myself so that he has to walk by me. I'd do the "I really like your work."
"How's the baby.  :)  Is Michelle with ya."  I don't know if I would say, "you should have gotten the Oscar." He's probably over that.   

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2006, 03:10:45 pm »
Well, judging from the way I handled my encounter with a much less exciting star, I wouldn't be very suave. I spotted Dave Pirner (lead singer of Soul Asylum, dated Winona Ryder for a while, is extremely cute) in the liquor store a couple of weeks ago. So as we were were leaving, I muttered the fact under my breath to MY 10-YEAR-OLD SON, who like me is a Soul Asylum fan. He immediately insisted on going back into the store and walking right up and meeting him. Which he did, very charmingly, while I browsed the Chilean wines and pretended to not to recognize either Dave Pirner OR my son.

So I guess when I meet Jake or Heath in the bookstore, I hope I will have my son with me. Though once he's charmed them into stopping over to the Marriott across the street, he'll have to wait in the lobby.

Ooh, Katherine, there's a thought: using my charming 4-year-old as an ice-breaker...  (Seriously - not making fun of you a bit, here.)
No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2006, 03:18:17 pm »
Feel free to make fun of me, Barb! But it is a good strategy, if you've got an extroverted son.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2006, 03:24:45 pm »
All right, I have gotten over being shy, with Heath, at least. I'd start the conversation by asking to see his newest tattoo, since I haven't been able to find a picture of it (yet) in my endless surfing. He's into ink, he'd probably be flattered that I asked. It's on his forearm, which isn't going to do much to get us into the Marriott, however.

Jake...still not sure what I'd say to him.

L

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2006, 03:26:15 pm »
First thing I would do...is lock the door so no one could go in or out!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

rtprod

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2006, 03:27:16 pm »
All right, I have gotten over being shy, with Heath, at least. I'd start the conversation by asking to see his newest tattoo, since I haven't been able to find a picture of it (yet) in my endless surfing. He's into ink, he'd probably be flattered that I asked. It's on his forearm, which isn't going to do much to get us into the Marriott, however.

Jake...still not sure what I'd say to him.

L

To Jake I would say, "Aren't you somebody from... wait, I know, you're on the WB."

For Heath there are no words.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2006, 03:31:20 pm »
To Jake I would say, "Aren't you somebody from... wait, I know, you're on the WB."

For Heath there are no words.

Tongue tied rt? I find that truly hard to believe... ;)

L
xo

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2006, 07:00:48 pm »
 :) well for me this would be tough - several years ago when I lived in Newport, Rhode Island and was in catering/innkeeping, I had the opportunity to meet several celebs - John Forsythe (much shorter in real life than on tv), Monty Hall - also shorter than expected, but very friendly and talkative, Arnold (yes, that one) - shorter, but very well built, small ass, huge chest, and even Prince Charles - we could walk within 5 feet of his table but not up to it, and some well known tennis players - Chris Evert for one.  I was never nervous while speaking to them and sometimes the conversations just came out of the moment in whatever they or I were doing.  If it were Jake, I am sure I would be calm and collected, probably congratulate him on the various awards and ask about the upcoming Zodiac, his dogs, family etc.  In other words, just normal chit-chat with no pretense. ( In my head I might be thinking deep, dark thoughts, dare I say fantasizing what I would like to do.)  With Heath we could talk about the East Coast, his daughter, life in Australia (my brother-in-law is from Sidney) Michele and so on.  I don't think I would be intimidated by him and I believe it would be possible to draw him into the conversation, it if doesn't dwell too much on fan-related questions and observations.
Judy

"it could be like this, just like this, always......" Jack Twist

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2006, 07:46:17 pm »
If I saw either of them, I'd probably cross the street (Ito get away)...my sister lives practically next door to Heath,  but she's not remotely interested.

Intimidated? I'd run like a rabbit!

Click to enlarge:
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2006, 08:07:26 pm »
Barb, that's really classy of you, letting Judi Dench alone in her own space. That's what I would probably do if I ran into Heath or Jake as described. I would tell myself I was respecting their privacy, though I would have to admit to myself that I was really just rationalizing cowardice.

LOL.  In Judi Dench's case, I didn't feel intimidated because she looked so serene and actually quite approachable, and I wasn't so ga-ga over her then as I am now as to be nervous.  But with Heath or Jake - yeah...  I'd really just be rationalizing cowardice, too.  I met (if you can call it that) Ralph Fiennes after one of his plays in Brooklyn years ago.  Actually I ambulated up to him after the performance as he was coming out to sign autographs and thrust a playbook in his general direction, only managing to utter one very brief sentence when I had had an entire speech planned, I was so starstruck.  I couldn't even look him in the eyes - I did for about half a second as I said my bit and thought I'd be turned to stone they were so dazzling.  I'll never forget the color of them.  But that's all I remember of what his face looked like close up.  Thank God my friend stood back and took a couple of pictures, or I'd think it was all a dream...  Anyway, I was every bit as enamored of him then as I am of these two now, and that was a situation in which he was *offering* himself to be talked to by fans.  So if I saw one of these two in a more private kind of situation and had him all to myself, I think I'd have a heart attack.  I'd be lucky if I could just continue to act relatively normal, let alone actually attempt to say anything.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 08:12:23 pm by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2006, 09:20:50 pm »
To Jake/Heath:

I just got this ipod.  What is it supposed to do?   ;D

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2006, 11:51:56 pm »
:) well for me this would be tough - several years ago when I lived in Newport, Rhode Island and was in catering/innkeeping, I had the opportunity to meet several celebs ...  I was never nervous while speaking to them and sometimes the conversations just came out of the moment in whatever they or I were doing. 

It helps to be working, though, because then you have an excuse to converse. As a journalist, I always feel 90 percent less shy if I have a reporter's notebook in my hands. But it's harder walking up to anybody cold, let alone a gorgeous movie star, as just a random starstruck fan. Between my normal shyness, my lack of good opening lines, my fear of intruding on someone's privacy and the deafening chant in my head (Marriott. Marriott. Get him over to the Marriott ...), I'm pretty sure I'd be tongue-tied.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2006, 08:24:52 am by latjoreme »

Offline kirkmusic

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Minstrel
« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2006, 05:36:33 am »
Jake - Wait a minute!  I know you!  You're that little kid from City Slickers!

Offline sparkle_motion

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Stacey.
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2006, 07:49:04 pm »
Is it sad that I've had this daydream A LOT about Jake, about meeting him in a public place? Then I remember I live in the DFW area and no one cool comes here.
...then you ask me about Mexico and tell me you'll kill me for needing somethin' I don't hardly never get.