Author Topic: IMAGINE YOU....AND JAKE...OR HEATH...  (Read 10598 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: IMAGINE YOU....AND JAKE...OR HEATH...
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2006, 03:10:45 pm »
Well, judging from the way I handled my encounter with a much less exciting star, I wouldn't be very suave. I spotted Dave Pirner (lead singer of Soul Asylum, dated Winona Ryder for a while, is extremely cute) in the liquor store a couple of weeks ago. So as we were were leaving, I muttered the fact under my breath to MY 10-YEAR-OLD SON, who like me is a Soul Asylum fan. He immediately insisted on going back into the store and walking right up and meeting him. Which he did, very charmingly, while I browsed the Chilean wines and pretended to not to recognize either Dave Pirner OR my son.

So I guess when I meet Jake or Heath in the bookstore, I hope I will have my son with me. Though once he's charmed them into stopping over to the Marriott across the street, he'll have to wait in the lobby.

Ooh, Katherine, there's a thought: using my charming 4-year-old as an ice-breaker...  (Seriously - not making fun of you a bit, here.)
No more beans!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2006, 03:18:17 pm »
Feel free to make fun of me, Barb! But it is a good strategy, if you've got an extroverted son.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2006, 03:24:45 pm »
All right, I have gotten over being shy, with Heath, at least. I'd start the conversation by asking to see his newest tattoo, since I haven't been able to find a picture of it (yet) in my endless surfing. He's into ink, he'd probably be flattered that I asked. It's on his forearm, which isn't going to do much to get us into the Marriott, however.

Jake...still not sure what I'd say to him.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2006, 03:26:15 pm »
First thing I would do...is lock the door so no one could go in or out!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

rtprod

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2006, 03:27:16 pm »
All right, I have gotten over being shy, with Heath, at least. I'd start the conversation by asking to see his newest tattoo, since I haven't been able to find a picture of it (yet) in my endless surfing. He's into ink, he'd probably be flattered that I asked. It's on his forearm, which isn't going to do much to get us into the Marriott, however.

Jake...still not sure what I'd say to him.

L

To Jake I would say, "Aren't you somebody from... wait, I know, you're on the WB."

For Heath there are no words.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2006, 03:31:20 pm »
To Jake I would say, "Aren't you somebody from... wait, I know, you're on the WB."

For Heath there are no words.

Tongue tied rt? I find that truly hard to believe... ;)

L
xo
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline chefjudy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "a pair a deuces"
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2006, 07:00:48 pm »
 :) well for me this would be tough - several years ago when I lived in Newport, Rhode Island and was in catering/innkeeping, I had the opportunity to meet several celebs - John Forsythe (much shorter in real life than on tv), Monty Hall - also shorter than expected, but very friendly and talkative, Arnold (yes, that one) - shorter, but very well built, small ass, huge chest, and even Prince Charles - we could walk within 5 feet of his table but not up to it, and some well known tennis players - Chris Evert for one.  I was never nervous while speaking to them and sometimes the conversations just came out of the moment in whatever they or I were doing.  If it were Jake, I am sure I would be calm and collected, probably congratulate him on the various awards and ask about the upcoming Zodiac, his dogs, family etc.  In other words, just normal chit-chat with no pretense. ( In my head I might be thinking deep, dark thoughts, dare I say fantasizing what I would like to do.)  With Heath we could talk about the East Coast, his daughter, life in Australia (my brother-in-law is from Sidney) Michele and so on.  I don't think I would be intimidated by him and I believe it would be possible to draw him into the conversation, it if doesn't dwell too much on fan-related questions and observations.
Judy

"it could be like this, just like this, always......" Jack Twist

Offline twistedude

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "It's nobody's business but ours."
    • "every sort of organized noise"
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2006, 07:46:17 pm »
If I saw either of them, I'd probably cross the street (Ito get away)...my sister lives practically next door to Heath,  but she's not remotely interested.

Intimidated? I'd run like a rabbit!

Click to enlarge:
"We're each of us alone, to be sure. What can you do but hold your hand out in the dark?" --"Nine Lives," by Ursula K. Le Guin, from The Wind's Twelve Quarters

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2006, 08:07:26 pm »
Barb, that's really classy of you, letting Judi Dench alone in her own space. That's what I would probably do if I ran into Heath or Jake as described. I would tell myself I was respecting their privacy, though I would have to admit to myself that I was really just rationalizing cowardice.

LOL.  In Judi Dench's case, I didn't feel intimidated because she looked so serene and actually quite approachable, and I wasn't so ga-ga over her then as I am now as to be nervous.  But with Heath or Jake - yeah...  I'd really just be rationalizing cowardice, too.  I met (if you can call it that) Ralph Fiennes after one of his plays in Brooklyn years ago.  Actually I ambulated up to him after the performance as he was coming out to sign autographs and thrust a playbook in his general direction, only managing to utter one very brief sentence when I had had an entire speech planned, I was so starstruck.  I couldn't even look him in the eyes - I did for about half a second as I said my bit and thought I'd be turned to stone they were so dazzling.  I'll never forget the color of them.  But that's all I remember of what his face looked like close up.  Thank God my friend stood back and took a couple of pictures, or I'd think it was all a dream...  Anyway, I was every bit as enamored of him then as I am of these two now, and that was a situation in which he was *offering* himself to be talked to by fans.  So if I saw one of these two in a more private kind of situation and had him all to myself, I think I'd have a heart attack.  I'd be lucky if I could just continue to act relatively normal, let alone actually attempt to say anything.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 08:12:23 pm by ednbarby »
No more beans!

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2006, 09:20:50 pm »
To Jake/Heath:

I just got this ipod.  What is it supposed to do?   ;D