Author Topic: Welcome!  (Read 29809 times)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
Welcome!
« on: February 10, 2006, 03:33:16 am »
Welcome to the BetterMost forums.  First and most importantly, you need to become a registered user in order to see and participate in the vast majority of the forums here.  Registration is free and easy.  You'll see a link to register at the top left of your screen. 

Let me thank you for taking time to join us in this very new project.  Chances are you are among the first to arrive here and you may find the forums aren't exactly buzzing with activity yet.  This is essentially the opening scene of this story, and to be certain this is one that we will all have to come together to write ourselves.

Brokeback Mountain affected me profoundly, just as it likely has touched you in your own life.  Just like many of the rest of you, I spent hours combing the net looking for everything I could find about this film and why it reached me the way it did.  Yes, I learned some new things about scenes I missed the first time around, learned about the background of how the film was made, read the short story, and read lots of articles and messages from people disturbed about just how strongly this film impacted on their lives.

One consistent question throughout all of these messages is "what now?"  Clearly, our obsession with the story and its characters is going to fade with time.  It may take a long time, but eventually we will move on.  For some, our emotional involvement with the film is limited to empathy for the characters and the story.  But for me, and perhaps many of you, the film touched the "third rail" in my own life, dredging up realizations, memories, and regrets I'd safely compartmentalized for years and threw them all in my face.

Past memories of relationships, coping with enigmatic friends who might as well have been Ennis, and the recognition of the danger of not following your dreams and dealing with life's lost opportunities were all laid before me.

After dwelling on this for a few days, I came to the conclusion that all of this emotional energy within me could be put to positive use.  Instead of simply trying to understand the story, I decided to follow the advice of the author and finish it by applying the lessons in my own life.  There doesn't seem to be a forum or site for doing that - just a boatload of fan sites that are limited to discussing the movie itself.

So here is something different.

BetterMost was created so that we could explore the movie's themes and its impact on each of us, and then how we can apply those themes to our own lives.  What can we take from this film and build on within ourselves.  Maybe you need encouragement to follow through on your own dreams, but have not done so out of fear or need support so you don't feel like you are doing it all alone.  Perhaps there are issues in your own life dealing with love or sexuality that you want to safely discuss with a compassionate group of people.  Perhaps you fear your life is already destined to end up like Ennis and want to find a way to make sure that doesn't happen.

We all come into this with one point of commonality - we've all been touched by Brokeback Mountain and we can all relate to the characters and the messages of the film.  At first, I'm sure we're all going to dwell heavily on the movie itself, and that's fine.  But eventually I want to see us move forward together as online friends to carry on our lives in a way that honors the film even after it's no longer obsessing us to the point of distraction.

I don't know precisely where this is going to go.  Your input and help is greatly welcomed.  I certainly don't have all the answers, so I hope we can all learn from each other as this thing moves forward.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2006, 01:40:46 pm by Phillip »
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Daniel

• Counsellor
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I lost myself to him.
A Beginner's Guide
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2006, 06:05:57 am »
I can remember coming to BetterMost.net's forums with no idea of what to do or where to go to explore the depth of meaning that I found profound within the amazing film experience that we all have come to love that is Brokeback Mountain, but after some time perusing the many wonderful features that are available here, I am certain that newcomers will be able to jump right in to some of our many experiences here at BetterMost.net forums if they just had a little guidance.

First of all, I want to say to each and every one of you that has decided to or is considering registering that you are here for a purpose. You want to explore the emotional, psychological, and philosophical significance of this film. You want to understand why and how it affects your life the way it does and how you can use it to improve your life. You comprehend a depth of meaning that was not present in your life before. There is much here to discuss, to share, to experience, and most posters agree that there is some good which comes from this community. I would like to welcome all of you to participate.

If you have newly registered, perhaps you aren't sure where to go to post.

From the Front Desk area you can grab the attention of our administrator Phillip in the BetterMost News and Welcome Center, view some fascinating ideas and the playlists of Brokeback Mountain Radio, and participate in some fun (and educational) polls about this fantastic film. Feel free to introduce yourself and what you hope to get out of BetterMost forums in the Welcome Center.

In the boards under Brokeback Mountain - The Movie, The Message, and its Impact, posters can explore the media coverage of the film that seems to have gripped some part of global consciousness in the board marked Movie Resources, discuss how the film personally affected them in the Open Forum, share (or read) creative fanfiction and poetry in Brokeback Mountain Fan Fiction, chill with the Chez Tremblay community (a versatile lot of Brokies that originated in the IMDB forums - who are quite cool once you get to know them), or even play BBM themed games and trivia challenges.

The next section of boards is truly impactful. It invites you to Finish the Story in Your Own Life.  While we here at the BetterMost forums enjoy discussing the film, its many attributes and its power in society and media, there is a greater truth that many of us who have seen the film are responding to. This film has the power to transform the individuals who experience it. They can add to their lives because of the film, allow its mysteries to become part of their existence, and use the film to explore the paths of light and shadow of inner being. Here we can question ourselves, "What should we do now?", post daily thoughts and experiences as we gradually change through inner experience, or explore the wisdom of self-acceptance, tolerance, and feminine empathy.

A realm of infinite possibilities awaits you, so please participate. Welcome to you all, and I look forward to seeing you on the boards.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2006, 06:11:46 am by Daniel »
Why do we consume what we consume?
Why do we believe what we believe?
Why do we accept what we accept?
You have a body, a mind, and a soul.... You have a responsibility.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Welcome!
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 11:59:07 am »

Happy Third Anniversary BetterMost!!

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 02:05:12 pm »

Where has the time gone?  It seems like it was only a couplle of months ago that I came here.
Looking for I didn't  know what.?  What I did find was others, with similar needs to fill.  They have
all given what they had to share, and taken what they needed to take, from the generous hearts
that have learned to share the gifts they have here.  It has been like a family.  Not always smooth in
its interaction, but always knowing that it could come back and feel a part of the group. 
    So happy third birthday to Bettermost, and to everyone here.....

Beautiful mind

Offline horo04

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 04:38:14 pm »
Amazing how this site is still going strong and the people that have kept the Brokeback traditions alive.  Even though I joined nearly 3 years ago and I've been gone for some time I still find myself drawn to here.  Happy 3rd anniversary Bettermost! ;D
"The mountains are calling and I must go"

Offline Artiste

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2009, 07:21:44 pm »
Which was the second member, the 3rd, the 4th, etc.?

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2009, 07:42:29 pm »
Which was the second member, the 3rd, the 4th, etc.?

Artiste-

Go to the main BetterMost page, scroll to the bottom where you will see the "members list". Click on this and it will give you all the members and the dates they joined. You can sort the list by any of the headings (date joined).

Heathen

Offline Artiste

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2009, 07:45:40 pm »
Merci enjaRouxB !

That would take a very long time!

Maybe someone here recalls which was the 2nd, 3rd, 4th???

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2009, 07:48:53 pm »
Merci enjaRouxB !

That would take a very long time!

Maybe someone here recalls which was the 2nd, 3rd, 4th???

It takes less than a minute-3 clicks and you are there.

Heathen

Offline Artiste

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2009, 07:59:20 pm »
How? To find 2nd? There is a time saving way?