Author Topic: Pronunciation Poll  (Read 29667 times)

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Pronunciation Poll
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2008, 01:35:09 am »

There are lots of places around here that have names that are hard to pronounce if you don't
llive here..   There is the Willamette river.. We pronounce it will am it.  Strangers want to say
Will a met.  Then there is Puyallup...pronounced Pu al up.. and many many interpretations of it
are around. 

Beautiful mind

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2008, 09:04:04 am »
Pennsylvania has a "Mount CAR-mul." I understand there is a "New MAD-rid" in Missouri and a "KAY-ro" (Cairo) in Illinois (and is that Ill-i-noy, Ill-uh-noy, Ill-i-noise, or Ill-uh-noise?).

The worst news reader mispronunciation I ever heard wasn't of a place name. One December when I was in junior high, a reader for the local TV station pronounced the name of the Jewish Festival of Lights as "Cha-NOO-kuh." He was fired forthwith.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2008, 09:18:00 am »
Pennsylvania has a "Mount CAR-mul." I understand there is a "New MAD-rid" in Missouri and a "KAY-ro" (Cairo) in Illinois (and is that Ill-i-noy, Ill-uh-noy, Ill-i-noise, or Ill-uh-noise?).

Either one of the "noy" versions was the way I heard it when I lived there. They save the "s" sound for Des Plaines, pronounced "dess planes."

Here in Maine, Calais is callously pronounced "callous", not "kah - lay."

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2008, 09:36:22 am »
Here in Maine, Calais is callously pronounced "callous", not "kah - lay."

Back in the sixteenth and seventeeth centuries, that's how the English pronounced the name of that place in France across the strait from Dover.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2008, 10:19:32 am »

Fun Poll! Here they are with my Aussie accent:  :D

ter-MAH-toe

per-TAYE-toe

GAr-rahge

Loo-ee-see-ANA (typical Aussie upward inflection at the end of a word)

New Or-LEENS

POOR-shah

ARSEk

TOY-let

WIN-doh

WASH-ing-tun

Kreek

PICK-chuh

CARnt

Dore
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2008, 01:33:22 pm »

And I only recently explained to her that the name Yvonne is pronounced Ee-von, not Ye-von.

Which reminds me of Pee Wee Herman and Miss Why - von.
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2008, 02:34:28 pm »
And I only recently explained to her that the name Yvonne is pronounced Ee-von, not Ye-von.

Tell you what, where I come from, the name of the actress who played Lily Munster was pronounced Yee-von Dee-CAR-low.  :-\

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2008, 03:35:51 pm »

Don't tell my mother-in-law that! LOL!  Her name is Yvonne and she's quite emphatic that it's pronounced Ye-von and not Ee-von!  :laugh:

When my son was young I started reading the first Harry Potter book with him.  Later that same year, one of his teachers read a little of the book to them each day and he came home and told me that I was mispronouncing "Hermione" - that his teacher pronounced it "HER-mee-own."  I told him that I thought my pronunciation was correct, but that he didn't need to point it out to his teacher! LOL! 

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2008, 03:55:45 pm »
I grew up thinking that Penelope was pronounced like canteloupe (my mom pronounced it wrong too).

Yeah,  I don't know when I caught on that it's Pen-EL-oh-pee.

"Hermione" - that his teacher pronounced it "HER-mee-own."

:laugh:

There is a town in Belgium called Ypres that I believe the English pronounce "Wipers."  ;D

Offline ZK

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2008, 05:11:10 pm »
Come on Kerry tell us all how you pronounce the number 6???? ;)

....runs and ducks for cover......