Author Topic: Pronunciation Poll  (Read 29666 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Pronunciation Poll
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2008, 09:22:45 pm »
Maybe I'm wrong about the whole Yvonne thing.   ???

No, I think you're right.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2008, 09:31:52 pm »
Yeah,  I don't know when I caught on that it's Pen-EL-oh-pee.

:laugh:

There is a town in Belgium called Ypres that I believe the English pronounce "Wipers."  ;D

I went to Ypres with Fabienne last March and you are right, Jeff...my father kept telling me I had gone to "Wipers." I just let him believe that although no one I spoke to called it Wipers. LOL

PS, it is more than a town...it is a significant piece of WWI history
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2008, 09:35:39 pm »
I went to Ypres with Fabienne last March and you are right, Jeff...my father kept telling me I had gone to "Wipers." I just let him believe that although no one I spoke to called it Wipers. LOL

PS, it is more than a town...it is a significant piece of WWI history

Yes, I know. But you're the first person I know who's actually been there. Have you been to "Callous," France, too, or just to "Callous," Maine?  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2008, 09:48:51 pm »
Maybe I'm wrong about the whole Yvonne thing.   ???

Nah, you're not wrong, Susie!  My mother-in-law pronounces her name Ye-von  because that's the way her mother always pronounced it (and she likes the way it sounds better, too).  But, technically speaking it should be Ee-von. After all,  Yves St. Laurent is not Ye-ves St. Laurent.

It's funny about names.   I went to elementary school with a Marcia.  And every year on the first day of school the teacher would pronounce it MAR-sha and she would have to correct them, because she pronounced it Mar-SEE-a.   :)

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2008, 06:40:34 am »
Yes, I know. But you're the first person I know who's actually been there. Have you been to "Callous," France, too, or just to "Callous," Maine?  ;D

Just Callous, Maine. I did get sort of near to Callous, France when we were in Caen.
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2008, 06:42:16 am »
Nah, you're not wrong, Susie!  My mother-in-law pronounces her name Ye-von  because that's the way her mother always pronounced it (and she likes the way it sounds better, too).  But, technically speaking it should be Ee-von. After all,  Yves St. Laurent is not Ye-ves St. Laurent.

It's funny about names.   I went to elementary school with a Marcia.  And every year on the first day of school the teacher would pronounce it MAR-sha and she would have to correct them, because she pronounced it Mar-SEE-a.   :)

Marie

And then there are Irish names. I went around for years thinking "Sean" was 'seen' and Siobhan was "sigh-oh-bahn." LOL

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2008, 07:43:16 am »
I voted

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2008, 07:45:38 am »
And then there are Irish names. I went around for years thinking "Sean" was 'seen' and Siobhan was "sigh-oh-bahn." LOL

Funny you mention "Sean."  That reminds me that a few years ago there was a meterologist on MSNBC named Sean McLaughlin and I kept thinking his colleagues were mispronouncing his name because they kept introducing him as "Seen" and I couldn't understand why no one was correcting them - until I heard him pronounce his own name one day and, sure enough, he said "Seen."  I just looked him up on Wikipedia and was amused to find these items listed under "Trivia" (I know it's not the most reliable of sources, but ....)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_McLaughlin

Sean's name is pronounced Seen rather than the traditional pronunciation of "shawn"

Sean has a brother named Shawn.

Sean has a brother named Shea.

I wonder if Shea's name is pronounced "SHE-ah."  LOL!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2008, 07:45:43 am »

Cool Leslie, my Tattoo artist's name is Siobhan.  I Had never heard it before until now.  She pronounces Sha-bon.

injest

« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2008, 07:53:08 am »
I voted

thats it? You ain't sharing your answers?? hmmmm...

how does Dev pronounce tomato....the mystery continues!!

;D ;)