Author Topic: The Names  (Read 11395 times)

Offline Gabreya

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: The Names
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2008, 07:29:52 pm »
Yep. You're right about the Yin and Yang thing.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2008, 12:56:57 pm »

Well, it occurs to me that we've spent a lot of time here and in other threads thinking about all the implications of Jack and Ennis's names, but we probably haven't really thought as much about the other characters' names.

What do we make of the women's names?  Some of them have rather unusual names too.  I've never met or heard of anyone named Lureen before and LaShawn also seems rather unusual.  I wonder why those two characters were given uncommon names.  And, I think Cassie's last name - "Cartwright"- almost sounds like it might even be a metaphor or contain particular meaning.

Junior is interesting because of the complex gender associations with that word.  Most people upon hearing someone called simply "Junior" would probably assume the person was male.  I know that it's not entirely unheard of to name girls "Junior" after their mothers or other female relatives.  But, I don't think it's usually the immediate connotation of the word "Junior."  And, the only time we hear Ennis call her Alma is when he's proposing his formal toast to her engagement.  It's an interesting gender shift.  I also wonder if by naming this character after her mother, there's an implication that she's destined to follow the same relatively narrow path her mother took (getting married too young, staying close to home, etc.).

I'd also be interested to know what the name Alma means or what it's traditional associations are.

And, of course Jenny vs. Francine is an interesting question in itself.  Someone once suggested that the change to the name Jenny might be a subtle reference to one of Ang Lee's other films.  It's a very odd gesture I think.  Why bother re-naming a character when we know precisely what her name is in Proulx's story?

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2008, 01:34:20 pm »
I believe Alma means "soul" in Spanish.  I'd have to ponder about all the various implications that could bring.  A google search tells me that the name also was probably inspired by Latin almus - "nourishing".  Even more to think about!

About the Jenny v. Francine - I can't remember where I just read it, but I thought someone said that Diana Ossana was asked about it at the recent screening and that she said it had something to do with not obtaining clearance to the name "Francine del Mar" ???????   Maybe someone who was there remembers the particulars? 

Great questions, Amanda.  I'm going to think about them some more - especially the gender shift of "Junior."

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Online southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2008, 02:37:25 pm »
I remember a discussion like this, possibly on IMDb a long time ago.

Cassie:  from Cassandra, meaning "she who entangles men" in Greek.  In mythology, she made predictions that no one would believe.

Lureen:  to me, sounds like "she who lures".

Junior:  maybe Ennis wanted a son?

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2008, 02:49:02 pm »
Junior:  maybe Ennis wanted a son?

Yeah, that's always been my initial reaction to the name - “I used a want a boy for a kid,” said Ennis, undoing buttons, “but just got little girls.”

But, somehow, I can't picture Ennis wanting to name a son after himself, even though it's a "traditional" thing to do.  It just seems a bit too egocentric for someone with such low self-esteem. 

The "Cassie" meaning is very interesting! 

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Gabreya

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2008, 05:15:04 pm »
This is what I came up with concerning the name, 'Jenny'. Of course, I haven't made it up but someone else had. And I figured out myself.

Look here:

Ennis  +  Jack  =  Jenny

Get it?

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2008, 05:16:46 pm »
This is what I came up with concerning the name, 'Jenny'. Of course, I haven't made it up but someone else had. And I figured out myself.

Look here:

Ennis  +  Jack  =  Jenny

Get it?

:D Wow, noever thought of that before.  :D
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Online Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2008, 05:34:22 pm »
Uncanny about Jack + Ennis = Jenny!

I like to think of Junior as Ennis' heir...the one who learned from his mistakes and got to have the sweet life. In many ways, her life paralleled his. She also took after him in many ways, such as his taciturnity, and his way of playing with the bottle when he wanted to avoid looking at the other person at the table, hehe. And Jenny was Jack ...especially the way she disappeared from the latter part of the movie. She was the one cradled in Ennis' arms...

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Gabreya

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2008, 05:58:50 pm »
I agree, Front-Ranger. Alma Jr. is like his heiress. Her personality and demeanor is just like her father's. Jenny will probably be like Jack:a little more of a free spirit and boistrous.

Btw, that scene where she was a baby in Ennis's arms was so sweet. Because she seemed like a calm baby while Junior was in need of attention. She was walking up to her dad, crying, and hugged his leg until he held her. :'( Oh.

As for the 'Jenny' and how it relates to 'Ennis' and 'Jack', it only takes a few of the letters from those two names, plus one extra letter, to make up her name.

Look here again:

Ennis  +  Jack  (+  y)  = Jenny

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2008, 02:43:08 am »
I'd also be interested to know what the name Alma means or what it's traditional associations are.

Alma means soul in Spanish.

Her maiden name:

Alma Beers.
Alma bears Ennis cheating on her
Alma bears living in financial difficult conditions.
Alma bears Ennis running off with Jack several times a year.
Alma bears missing social activities (like the church social).
Alma bears anal sex.
Alma bears a lot for a long time.

Till she can't bear it anymore and divorces Ennis.