Author Topic: Your Favorite Type of Humor?  (Read 4036 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Your Favorite Type of Humor?
« on: May 07, 2008, 07:21:37 pm »

So, which type of humor do you find yourself most drawn to... and is it different from your own, personal style of humor?

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
Re: Your Favorite Type of Humor?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 07:59:17 pm »
I picked witty/charming because, well, what's not to like about that?

It was easier to figure out what I don't like than what I do. I don't like bathroom humor. I like sexual humor only if it's actually funny -- just being about sex isn't enough to make it funny for me. I don't like sarcastic humor if it's mean. I like Monty Python, but I'm not sure about all absurdist humor. I'm not big on slapstick. My threshold is probably pretty low for goofy/silly. And I sometimes find class clowns annoying.

Sounds like I barely have a sense of humor at all!  :laugh:

My second choice would have been dry/deadpan. I always laugh at Jon Stewart (and the others on The Daily Show) and Stephen Colbert, and I guess that's how I would describe them.

Oh, I just thought of another category: Cringe humor, a la The Office! I also always laugh at that, too. But I can see where not all cringe humor would be funny.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 08:19:19 pm »

Hunh.  Well, now this is very interesting.  It seems there's room for interpretation within these categories.  I picked sarcastic and I was specifically thinking about Jon Stewart type humor (or SNL Weekend-Updates, when they're really, really good).  But, I can see how Jon Stewart could also be classified as deadpan.  Maybe sarcastic and deadpan go hand-in-hand sometimes (when both are done well).

I know what you mean about it being easier to know what I don't like.  I agree that I don't much like bathroom humor or slapstick.  And, many of the other categories I can take in small doses.

Witty/charming would be my second pick... in that case I'm thinking of Oscar Wilde-type brilliant retorts, etc. I often can't get enough of that type of humor.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 08:26:51 pm »
What a great question, Amanda!  Depending upon my mood and the situation, I could choose several of these!

I also chose witty/charming because I don't really have to be in a particular mood to enjoy that - I would always find that amusing. 

Dry/dead pan can be very funny and when that's combined with sarcastic/cynical  that can work well.  But I agree with crayons that sometimes sarcastic humor is just plain mean - and I don't find "cheap shots" funny; it somehow seems like it's just too easy.  A little bit of sarcasm can go a looooong way. 

I do like goofy/silly and absurdist - but if something is too obscure I just find it pretentious. 

I've never cared much for slapstick.  I guess dirty/naughty could be amusing as long as it's not too juvenile - but it usually is. 

And class clown/show-off - well, I guess that might work through high school - after that it could come off as kind of pathetic.  LOL!

I've never thought in terms of my own personal sytle of humor - I'm not sure I could be the best judge of that!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 09:12:20 pm »

Thanks Marie! :)

Well, yes, I think it may be harder to try to analyze one's own style of humor.

I think my personal style is pretty deadpan and obscure.  Sometimes I fear that some folks don't really get my sense of humor.  And, sometimes I think being too deadpan can cause certain folks to completely miss that humor is in play at all.

I'm definitely not bold enough to be a class-clown type (or a life-of-the-party type... I guess that might be the adult version of class clown).  I sort of think of Jack in that role during the scene where he's acting out being a rodeo cowboy.  So, it can certainly be charming, but hard to pull off well I think.

I wish I could be an Oscar Wilde-style wit, but I don't really think I think on my feet fast enough.  But, it would be great.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 11:22:09 pm »

I voted for sarcastic/cynical, but I prefer cynical humour when it's more at the satirical end of the scale, rather than being too bitter, twisted and sarcastic. I find satirical humour very clever and witty. When I see an article in the media about some ignorant fool making an absurd statement about something s/he obviously knows nothing about, instead of becoming angry, I draw a satirical cartoon about it. In so doing, I therapeutically dissipate my rage and also add another dimension to the public debate. For example, I recently read that in 1992 Mike Huckabee had argued that AIDS sufferers should be quarantined. My first reaction was anger, that a so-called minister of religion could express such an inhumane, callous point of view. My rage was dissipated by drawing a couple of cartoons about it, including this one:

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 07:33:57 am »
I think my personal style is pretty deadpan and obscure.  Sometimes I fear that some folks don't really get my sense of humor.  And, sometimes I think being too deadpan can cause certain folks to completely miss that humor is in play at all.

My brother-in-law has a pretty obscure sense of humor.  He can be very funny - but my sister teases that half the time she has to "explain" his jokes. LOL! And I know what you mean - if you have to accompany a story or a joke with a long explanation of "why" it's funny....

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Artiste

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 02:29:28 pm »
Is good humour witty ?  Meaning not harming anyone !

That is what I voted !

Offline optom3

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 11:22:52 pm »
My favourite humour is observational.When the ridiculous aspects of some characteristics are blown up and magnified,but still have a central core of truth.
My all time favourite comedian is the Scot, Billy Connely.
Cannot abide slapstick it leaves me cold.
I do Like some stupid ridiculous like Fawlty Towers and Monty Python.I also hate to admit it but I like humour that takes the pis out of people or situations.Again it is based on reality but  exagerated to provide the humour.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 10:29:54 am »
You had me puzzzled there optom with your word: observational !!

And, it just come to my mind that observing can be humour or fun !

Somehow, even, observing flowers can be like a sense of humour for me:
like when I looked at daffodils in bloom yesterday; one had it's head bent low, while another bloom was upright and proud like ! Does this make sense ??

Somehow ?

Au revoir,
hugs! And after cleaning the yard, I visited one of our good neighbours, and I noted that her sense of humour in life was great, as she said that instead of selling her second lot, she still had in her 80's plus years of life ANOTHER year to add plants to it !! And, she likes the small baby or adolescent daffodils that are there among the big adult ones !! Life goes on !!