Author Topic: Barack Obama vs. John McCain  (Read 58743 times)

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Barack Obama vs. John McCain
« Reply #140 on: June 09, 2008, 03:41:56 pm »
Well I heard yesterday afternoon that Obama got the nomination. I can't really say I am happy about that, but after going to the Roundup I discovered that I don't really care. What I do care about is meeting and being around such wonderful people as I was. Those people are first and foremost in my mind right now and I truly could care less who is president. In the end it will probably not make much difference anyway. It was good to be away from the news world and in the real world which was full of friends.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #141 on: June 18, 2008, 08:20:25 pm »
I'm hearing that speculators are part of the problem with high gas prices -- Congress has to make it so that speculators have a harder time -- make them responsible for putting up more $$ than they are required to now.

McCain and Obama both have deficiencies when it comes to the gas crisis. Whichever one gets on that bandwagon is going to win the election most likely.

The surge is working -- the media is not reporting that because that would be counterproductive for the left -- and the media, as we all know, is biased. Too bad we didn't start out with David Petraus and the surge at the very beginning--things would have turned out differently.

McCain sees that the surge is working and even tho the far left ads about "please don't send baby Timmy to Iraq, Mr. McCain" are propaganda (the military is voluntary anyway) -- I think that McCain would handle the Iraq situation, as well as other foreign relations, better than Obama. If he will also get on the gas issue, (and doesn't make some critical mistake--which could happen to either candidate) I think he'll win.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #142 on: June 18, 2008, 11:43:10 pm »
There were allegations of plans for an attempt to assassinate President Bush, SR.  There was one, of course--almost successful, on Ronald Reagan. And an attempt on Gerald Ford. As of late--it seems to be more dangerous to be a Republican. With Barack Obama being African American, he probably has had threats from some radical organization -- the KKK is, unfortunately, alive and well in the U.S. I haven't heard or read anything about that Kerry, but any American president is a target for crazies. I hope we never have another one like President Kennedy's. All of the candidates should have VERY tight security, IMO. I think security must be excellent because as many Bush haters as there are, I'm sure he has been in danger at some time or another.

there were actually two attempts on President Ford's life in the brief time he was in office during the mid 1970's. One attempt was thwarted by a gay man, who I believe tackled the would be shooter.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #143 on: June 18, 2008, 11:48:07 pm »

McCain and Obama both have deficiencies when it comes to the gas crisis. Whichever one gets on that bandwagon is going to win the election most likely.

that may be happening now, as both McCain and Pres Bush are attempting to force the hand of the Democrats in Congress on the drilling issue offshore and in the public lands out west and in AK. The public wants a solution to this crisis and it isn't hard to paint a picture that it was the Democrats in Congress along with Pres Clinton who repeatedly blocked drilling in ANWAR and offshore back in the 1990's. I will be very surprised if the Democrats go along with the Pres on opening the outer continental shelf to drilling, and there is the issue.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #144 on: June 18, 2008, 11:57:27 pm »
Latest Zogby polls from Newmax shows:

Zogby: 60% Favor Domestic Oil Drilling

The mood of Americans has improved slightly but remains gloomy this month, as high gasoline prices cause many to consider making significant changes in their lives—including how often they drive, where they go on vacation and how often they dine out, a new Reuters/Zogby poll shows.

The survey shows 58% considering changing driving habits due to high gasoline prices; 60% in favor of domestic oil drilling

The Reuters/Zogby Index, which measures American confidence, has risen slightly to 90.4, from 87.9 in May, and remains just above the all-time low of 87.7 it hit in March. The Reuters/Zogby Index includes 10 poll questions that gauge perception of the state of the country and the economy. The telephone survey of 1,113 likely voters nationwide was conducted June 12-14, 2008. It carries a margin of error of +/- 3.0 percentage points.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #145 on: June 19, 2008, 03:38:12 am »
there were actually two attempts on President Ford's life in the brief time he was in office during the mid 1970's. One attempt was thwarted by a gay man, who I believe tackled the would be shooter.

Was he controversial? I can't remember that. I know a lot of people were kinda mad that he pardoned Nixon. I was glad that he did. Wasn't one of his would-be assassins a woman?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #146 on: June 19, 2008, 11:47:06 am »
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/12/28/ap/politics/mainD8M9IL2G2.shtml

here is information about the 2 women who attempted to assasinate Pres Ford on two separate occasions.

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #147 on: June 19, 2008, 12:51:36 pm »
Thanks, brokeplex.

Interesting. I didn't know both attempts were by women. Wonder what he did to tick them off that badly? I guess the one from the Manson crew was drugged out. I wonder what kind of extra security he had after 2 attempts in less than a month.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #148 on: June 19, 2008, 01:24:12 pm »
It was a strange time, that aftermath period after Nixon's resignation. I was attending a school in Europe when Ford first assumed office before I went off to attend college at UT. I remember the surreal quality to the both events, they even seemed staged to me as I was reading about the attempted assassinations in French and Spanish newspapers.

I did get to see Pres Ford when he came thru Madrid while I was in the city. When I got back to the States, I discovered all of this fuss being made about the Georgia Gov, Jimmy Carter. Until "Jimma" won the Iowa caucuses, we all thought that either Hubert Humphrey or Scoop Jackson would be the nominee of the Democrats. After listening just one time to Carter, I immediately went to the Ford campaign in Austin and signed on to seal envelopes, hand out flyers, do anything to help Pres Ford carry TX in November.

Offline KristinDaBomb

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
    • My Blog
« Reply #149 on: July 15, 2008, 01:26:50 am »
I want Obama to win. But who WILL win? I'm not so sure.
xoxo

~Kristin~

<3