Author Topic: Cannes Watch: Donnie Darko Sequel in Works  (Read 2592 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Cannes Watch: Donnie Darko Sequel in Works
« on: May 10, 2008, 03:09:21 am »
!!!

Kitty Farmer (Beth Grant): [tearfully] "Rose, I don't know if you realize what an opportunity this is for our daughters! This has been a dream of Samantha's and all of ours for a long time! I made her lead dancer! Sometimes, I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion! "

http://weblogs.variety.com/thompsononhollywood/2008/05/cannes-watch-do.html

ABOUT
www.Variety.com deputy editor Anne Thompson writes a weekly Variety film column as well as this daily blog.

May 09, 2008

Cannes Watch: Donnie Darko Sequel in Works

[Posted by Jeff Sneider]

UK-based sales company Velvet Octopus will be selling a sequel to Richard Kelly's 2001 cult hit Donnie Darko at next week's Cannes Film Festival.

Titled S. Darko, pic is set seven years after the original Jake Gyllenhaal -starrer and will follow Donnie's sister Samantha (Daveigh Chase) as she is plagued by bizarre visions while on a roadtrip to L.A. with her best friend Corey (Briana Evigan, star of Step Up 2: The Streets). Other cast members include Gossip Girl's Ed Westwick and War of the Worlds' Justin Chatwin.

Although neither Jake nor sister Maggie Gyllenhaal will return, there is no word yet on Frank the Bunny.

Chris Fisher will direct the $10 million film, with which Kelly is not officially involved.

Fox has already snapped up North American rights to the sequel, which starts shooting May 18.

http://www.screendaily.com/ScreenDailyArticle.aspx?intStoryID=38664&Category=

Donnie Darko sequel S. Darko starts shooting May 18

Wendy Mitchell in London
09 May 2008 05:00

UK-based sales company Velvet Octopus will be launching sales in Cannes for S. Darko, billed as the sequel to the 2001 cult hit Donnie Darko. Fox has already taken North American rights.

Daviegh Chase reprises her role as Donnie's younger sister. The cast for S. Darko also includes Ed Westwick (Son Of Rambow, Gossip Girl), Briana Evigan (Step Up 2) and Justin Chatwin (Dragon Ball).

Ash Shah's Silver Nitrate and Newmarket Capital are producing. Los Angeles-based Chris Fisher, who previously made Nightstalker and Rampage: The Hillside Strangler Murders, will direct. The budget is pegged around $10m.

The story picks up seven years after the first film (and Donnie's death) when little sister Samantha Darko and her best friend Corey are now 18 and on a roadtrip to Los Angeles when they are plagued by bizarre visions.

Fisher said in a statement: "I am a great admirer of Richard Kelly's film and hope to create a similar world of blurred fantasy and reality."

Producers have spoken to Richard Kelly about the project but he is not involved in any official capacity at this stage.

Simon Crowe of Velvet Octopus added: "I think there is a new generation of cinema-goers who will be very excited to see this film."

Crowe quipped to ScreenDaily: "Donnie's not in [the new film] but there are meteorites and rabbits."

The project starts shooting May 18.

Two other new projects that Velvet Octopus are selling in Cannes are Sam's Story and Garfield's Fun Fest.

Sam's Story, directed by Miriam Kruishoop, will star Neve Campbell and Gabriel Macht (soon to appear as Frank Miller's The Spirit) in the story of a party girl who grows up and falls in love with a single dad. The UK/Nethlerlands co-production is produced by Black Book's San Fu Maltha with Molly Hassell. It will shoot this summer.

Garfield's Fun Fest is a continuation of the cartoon cat adventures, this time full CG animated (not a live-action combination as with the recent Fox hits). The US/Korean production from The Animation Picture Co. is directed by Mark Dippe and Kyung Ho Lee. Jim Davis wrote the script with the Altiere Bros. The voice cast features Frank Welker.

Velvet Octopus' Cannes sales slate also includes UK genre film Cockneys vs Zombies, Demian Lichtenstein's $25m Relentless 3D starring Karl Urban, animated projects The Legend Of Spyro and Outback 3D, Gabor Csupo's The Secret Of Moonacre (now in post) and Emily Young's Veronika Decides To Die starring Sarah Michelle Gellar (which starts shooting May 12).
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
Re: Cannes Watch: Donnie Darko Sequel in Works
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 02:34:13 pm »
They're making a sequel to a Jesus story?

That's a kinda hard act to follow.  From what I'm reading, it looks like they're not going to bother to try.  :P  I'll pass.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 03:34:34 pm »
I surely hope they do not remake this - no improving on perfection, imo.

Isn't Beth Grant the greatest??  I first noticed her in DD, and since then she keeps cropping up!  Angel, Speed, NCFOM...
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 09:55:59 pm »
Lynne: yes, I love Beth Grant. I also love Mary McDonnell (Grand Canyon and Mumford) as Donnie's mother, Rose Darko.

Donnie: [to his mother] "How's it feel to have a wacko for a son?"
Rose Darko: "It feels wonderful."

She was wonderful too.

delalluvia: I second your sentiments exactly.

There are about 150 more comments on comingsoon.net saying about the same thing, more or less--

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=44826

--here's a dozen or so for your amusement:

Posted by: Michael on May 9, 2008 at 11:00:39

DO NOT WANT!

Posted by: Holden on May 9, 2008 at 11:01:12

HELL NO.This is some of the worst news I've heard in a while. If Richard Kelly was a little more involved then possibly- this could be good, but this is sour. PULL THE PLUG! The first is a dorm-room classic. Everybody start saying your prayers.

Posted by: noise64 on May 9, 2008 at 11:01:22

What? That's crazy? How did this happen? Shouldn't Richard Kelly be angry about this?? How can a creator not oppose to this? Unless he's been given drug money or something.... Whatever, there better not be a director's cut for this one too...

Posted by: Nicholas on May 9, 2008 at 11:11:31

This is some of the worst news I've ever heard. Donnie Darko is a great film....a sequel is not needed.....at all....Screw hollywood for doing this.

Posted by: punkerkris on May 9, 2008 at 11:12:08

this is 10 million down the tube

Posted by: Fragilityg4 on May 9, 2008 at 11:13:17

Is it April First? Because this is a joke ... Please don't ruin a classic film by creating a sub par sequel that is not needed in any capacity.

Posted by: temperance on May 9, 2008 at 11:14:36

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Posted by: steve on May 9, 2008 at 11:16:46

I dont comment on here but i feel i have to regarding this,donnie darko really made an impact on me as a great original idea DONT RUIN THIS WITH A POOR MANS ATTEMPT AT RECREATING THIS FANTASTIC ACHIEVMENT PLEASE..STEVEN

Posted by: One Time on May 9, 2008 at 11:22:58

Straight-to-DVD-rubbish written all over it.

Posted by: ScotchBrand on May 9, 2008 at 11:32:49

This makes me sad. =[

Posted by: Mike on May 9, 2008 at 11:33:14

Blasphemy...pure, and utter blasphemy.

Posted by: lazlo hollyfeld on May 9, 2008 at 11:39:12

ABSOLUTELY RETARDED! I WILL BOYCOTT THIS AND RUIN THE PRODUCTION WITH FLAMING BAGS OF POO. RICHARD KELLY SHOULD NOT ALLOW THIS TO HAPPEN!

BLASPHEMY!

::)
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"