Author Topic: TOTW 17/08: Does this still happen to you?  (Read 8452 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
TOTW 17/08: Does this still happen to you?
« on: May 11, 2008, 05:26:53 pm »
Edit by Penthesilea:

Happy new week BetterMostians :D
Amanda opened this thread Sunday evening and I think it's a great one for TOTW, so here we go. Thank you Amanda for your courtesy :-* :)

Enjoy!

Heya,

Yesterday I was running errands and I had a jolt of good old-fashioned Brokie-fever while I was at Costco.  I was walking past the aisles of DVDs and they had a pile of Brokeback Mountain DVDs for sale for $10.  I had an overwhelming urge to buy one... just for the sake of buying one.  Even though I already own two copies of it on DVD.  It just felt hard to walk by without picking one up.  I'm happy to report that common sense prevailed and I did not buy one.  But, still the urge was pretty strong.

So, I'm hear to ask what forms of quirky Brokie fever folks are still experiencing after all this time.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 01:55:13 pm by Penthesilea »
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Does this still happen to you?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 06:16:43 pm »
I  was out with the 2 younger ones yesterday,when we stopped at an ice cream parlor.I had no intention of buying one for myself.The kids had a strawberry sorbet and butter maple pecan.I  was just about to pay for the 2,when lo and behold I saw a heath flavour !!!!!!. I think it should have said health flavour!!!! But I had to have one.It was well,how shall I phrase this,I'm thinking.oh yes,disgusting.
Sorry I really hoped to tell you it was delicious,but I should have known.Ice cream and healthy are not natural bed fellows.!!!!.
I have also bought myself a Heath poster,now for a woman approaching 50, I reckion I am still in the throes of all things BBM and Heath.
Have I hung it up, you bet,it is on the back of the rest room off our bedroom ,much to my husnands disgust!!!!!

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 06:20:13 pm »
I know how you feel Amanda.....

What is happening here, is that the BBM movie, is regularly shown on our cable TV.....seems to come in a cycle, for a couple of weeks it is not on, then for a week it is on the movie channel, a couple of times a day.

If I am surfing the channels and happen to come to the channell where it is showing, I cannot NOT watch it, regardless of where it is up to. I have lost count of how many times I have watched it in its entirity or just part of it.

I just cant turn away from the boys if I see them there, somehow it would feel like I am ignoring good friends.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 06:59:02 pm »
It's that time of year again... the fields around town are full of sheep and their lambs. The lambs are not even newborns anymore, they grow so fast - they look more like the ones that went up on Brokeback by now. I never drive or walk past a green field like that without giving Jack and Ennis a thought or two.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 07:33:17 pm »
Yes, likewise !

I have two copies, and desire more.

One is already no good !!

Best to prevent not having a good copy  at all !!

Au revoir,
hugs! Happy Mother's Day to you and to all too !!

Offline jstephens9

Re: TOTW 17/08: Does this still happen to you?
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 02:44:53 pm »
I think it was in another thread that I was just talking last week about what happened when I heard the song "Melissa" on my own Allman Brothers CD and then on a radio station I was listening to on the internet from Denver. I was taken right to that point in the movie when Ennis is dancing with Cassie. And I always in my mind know that it is not Cassie he wants, it is Jack. And of course that scene is getting fairly close to the last time Jack and Ennis are on Brokeback. So that is just one of the things, it doesn't take much, for my mind to go back to Brokeback. As far as the DVD goes, I believe I have 5 copies and I have not bought the later edition yet. I believe only 2 of my copies have ever been opened. The other ones are part of my collection. I know it sounds a bit compulsive, but that is just the way it is  :) I also have consistently bought two of things such as the calendars. One goes on the wall for the year. The other one remains sealed. I also know what Katie means because when the movie is being shown on TV I feel bad for turning it to something else  ;D

Offline optom3

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 02:46:14 pm »
Well I only have one copy of the DVD and reading these posts made me panic.I had given no thought to it breaking,wearing out etc,so went out to buy another copy.
Also ordered another copy of Knights tale my 2nd favourite,just in case.
So I have to thank you all for the posts,which acted as a timely nudge, that I needed backup of all things Heath and dear to me !!!!!!
I had to rummage through the big bin things in Wallmart to get another BBM and knights tale I have had to order on amazon.

Offline mouk

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 04:29:09 pm »
I think it was in another thread that I was just talking last week about what happened when I heard the song "Melissa" on my own Allman Brothers CD and then on a radio station I was listening to on the internet from Denver. I was taken right to that point in the movie when Ennis is dancing with Cassie. And I always in my mind know that it is not Cassie he wants, it is Jack. And of course that scene is getting fairly close to the last time Jack and Ennis are on Brokeback. So that is just one of the things, it doesn't take much, for my mind to go back to Brokeback. As far as the DVD goes, I believe I have 5 copies and I have not bought the later edition yet. I believe only 2 of my copies have ever been opened. The other ones are part of my collection. I know it sounds a bit compulsive, but that is just the way it is  :) I also have consistently bought two of things such as the calendars. One goes on the wall for the year. The other one remains sealed. I also know what Katie means because when the movie is being shown on TV I feel bad for turning it to something else  ;D

What a relief to see I am not the only one. It just seemed like the normal thing to do, have 2 of everything, one to use, one to keep in pristine condition. Last week as I was doing a big clean up I looked through my special BBM boxes and decided I must be mad and should do something about it. But all I did about it was clear other stuff so there would be more space for the precious BBM boxes  ;D

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 07:47:01 pm »
I'm enjoying these stories of wacky Brokie behaviors and habits. 8)

Here's another one of mine (aside from always feeling like I should buy a copy of BBM whenever I see the DVDs on sale somewhere)... 

Essentially every weekend I weigh my options of things to do... and always, without fail, I seriously ponder watching BBM during the weekend at some point.  It's basically always on my default "to do" list for the weekend. Of course, I only actually watch it about once every two months (or so).  But, it's always front-of-mind as an option.

As far as my two copies of BBM on DVD go, I have one "special edition" copy and one "regular copy" (the one that I bought when it was first released).  And, I much prefer my original/regular copy (and I'm not really quite sure why).

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 09:02:14 pm »
I'm enjoying these stories of wacky Brokie behaviors and habits. 8)

Here's another one of mine (aside from always feeling like I should buy a copy of BBM whenever I see the DVDs on sale somewhere)... 

Essentially every weekend I weigh my options of things to do... and always, without fail, I seriously ponder watching BBM during the weekend at some point.  It's basically always on my default "to do" list for the weekend. Of course, I only actually watch it about once every two months (or so).  But, it's always front-of-mind as an option.

As far as my two copies of BBM on DVD go, I have one "special edition" copy and one "regular copy" (the one that I bought when it was first released).  And, I much prefer my original/regular copy (and I'm not really quite sure why).

I have 2 or 3 copies, I can't remember now.  I do know that I'll probably buy another BBM DVD as I tend to let people borrow one and I have a hard time getting it back!

I get a warm and fuzzy feeling still when the weather is cold, or when the skies are full of white, billowy clouds.  It seems that BBM is one of the great loves of my life and is never far from my mind!

Offline optom3

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 11:16:28 pm »
I think I am still in the early acute phse of t,he "condition" So much of what I do is coloured by BBM.There is even a T.V advert where the guitar always makes me think of the guitar in BBM.It really does not take much to set me off.Horses,cowboy hats,trucks,white wooden houses,someone fishing and every time I go into one of my sons dressing room and see al the camping equipment,blue plate, cup,etc
I hope to pass into the chronic phase soon!!!!!

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 06:13:40 am »
I own two copies of the DVD, one so far never used, I bought it as a back back in case the other ones breaks.
When I go to my local DVD rental shop and walk past the BbM's DVD (I know which shelf it is kept on) I can't resist and I will pick it up,  and say (in my head) "No other movie makes me feel the way you do".
BbM, I swear

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 08:19:02 am »
A few days ago, I was lucky enough to get together with a few Brokies and go see BBM in the theater!  We travelled to the theater as a group, and I think we were all quite thrilled to see the movie's name up on the marquee as we approached.  And as I wrote in the thread about the get-together, when the lights went down, and the Focus Features and River Road pieces came on at the beginning, my whole body heaved a big sigh of relaxation, like I was home again.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 10:07:54 am »
A few days ago, I was lucky enough to get together with a few Brokies and go see BBM in the theater!  We travelled to the theater as a group, and I think we were all quite thrilled to see the movie's name up on the marquee as we approached.  And as I wrote in the thread about the get-together, when the lights went down, and the Focus Features and River Road pieces came on at the beginning, my whole body heaved a big sigh of relaxation, like I was home again.

That sounds so great Elle!
8)

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2008, 12:33:38 pm »
I wish I could feel that way.
I haven't been able to see the movie in some time. The last time I saw it was with Truman in December.
As soon as the movie starts I am crying. I can't help it. Just reading this and thinking about it makes me start to get teary eyed.
I'm not sure why. I guess it's just too sad and too real for me still. The only copy of the short story I have is one that toast e-mailed me about a year ago when I started this journey. I have a poster but it is still rolled up in plastic. As soon as I get my own place it will go up. Probably over my mantle or if I don't have a fire place over my bed. It will be a focal point in my home. i would love tohave a calander or some other memorabilia.
maybe I too should get another DVD. I wish they would make one with all the edited scenes put in. That would be great.
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2008, 01:58:52 pm »
I recognise the thing about not being able to walk through a DVD shop without checking if they have any copies of BBM. I always do that. Just to make sure. If they don´t have any copies I usually go "hmf..not a very good store this"  :laugh:

I arrived home from Ireland today and there I did a stop in the town of Ennis. It was kinda out of the way but how could I resist? A very lovely town it was.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2008, 08:17:40 pm »
I was in Target last week and they had DVDs for sale on display near the checkout...WALK THE LINE was there, C*&^% was there, CAPOTE was there...no BBM.

I was very tempted to go find their BBMs and modify their display...still might.  I'm sure it's a right-wing conspiracy.  ;)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2008, 09:09:34 pm »
I was in Target last week and they had DVDs for sale on display near the checkout...WALK THE LINE was there, C*&^% was there, CAPOTE was there...no BBM.

I was very tempted to go find their BBMs and modify their display...still might.  I'm sure it's a right-wing conspiracy.  ;)

That sounds like a good plan Lynne.  ;)  I wonder what a store would do if a a customer all of a sudden started re-arranging the displays.  :laugh:

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2008, 11:14:31 pm »
I too was tempted by the Costco BbM sale, as well as the Borders BbM sale. I don't spend Wyoming quarters, I frequently think "wwed?" (what would Ennis do). I buy cowboy stuff -that I will never use -at the craft store. I go to rodeos. Completely still Brokeback centric

Heathen

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2008, 01:46:22 am »
I recognise the thing about not being able to walk through a DVD shop without checking if they have any copies of BBM. I always do that. Just to make sure. If they don´t have any copies I usually go "hmf..not a very good store this"  :laugh:

Yup, same here. Still checking for BBM when I come across a DVD display. And it makes me ridiculously happy when I find it. And like Amanda, I also know the urge to buy it.
Speaking of rearranging, I always but put some BBM copies in the first place of the "B" row, so it's the one you see at first sight. Last time there was no BBM DVD (how do they dare >:( ;)), but Brothers Grimm. So I put that one in first place.

There are still lots and lots of things which remind me of BBM. Last week we went out to the park with the kids and I saw a man doing Tai-Chi. Reminded me of Ang Lee of course. I took a picture of the man (but used the zoom to not disturb him).

My son got a new t-shirt from a friend. The print is a cartoon dog who is going fishing... I always think that's wrong. There should be a second dog ;D.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2008, 10:01:00 pm »
At least, you do not have to cry as you are not sad, when you purchase an BBM copy !

You are happy to add it to your collection, just in case you will need it !!

Au revoir,
hugs!