Author Topic: Which Classic Sitcoms Did You Love... or Still Love?  (Read 33877 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Which Classic Sitcoms Did You Love... or Still Love?
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2008, 10:11:52 am »
Only FIVE Amanda? That's not enough!!  :laugh:

I know what you mean!  When I made the poll I originally had it as "pick 3."  But then I tried to respond to the poll myself and realized that I wanted more options!  So, I increased it to 5.  There are a lot of shows on the list that I really like.

But, I picked Laverne & Shirley, WKRP, The Facts of Life, Seinfeld and The Brady Bunch.  I could have added quite a few more to my selection.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2008, 10:31:45 am »
I also voted for Golden Girls, Seinfeld and Welcome Back Kotter, although I can't remember the last one. But I know I loved it as a teenager. My cousin and I sang to the music and jumped from bed to bed whenever it was on. One day she missed and sprained a toe - oops. "Welcome ba-haa-aack-ouch!" Even though it really hurt, we laughed and giggled about the situation. Sweet memories. :laugh:

My second favorite after M*A*S*H is missing on the list: Roseanne. Gawd, I had such a crush on Darlene, and simultaneously a smaller crush on her BF David.

Hi Chrissi!  I love what you said about dancing and jumping to the Welcome Back Kotter theme song.  I did the same thing when Laverne and Shirley would come on when I was a kid!  I can totally relate to that.  I've never had a sitcom-music-dancing injury though.
 :laugh:

And, I'm sorry that I left so many good sitcom choices off the list. I really, really liked Roseanne too (somehow I just didn't think of it last night when I made the poll) and many of the other good shows that others have mentioned here just didn't make it due to space.  It's amazing to think about how many good sitcoms there have been!

I had a feeling that the "Other" option would be important to this poll.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 10:39:37 am »
I think some of us are dating ourselves by our choices. Even I only know "I Love Lucy" from reruns--though Lucille Ball's "successor shows" to "I Love Lucy" were on in prime time in my childhood. But all the shows I listed as my "Other" choices date to my early childhood, in the mid-1960s.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 10:39:53 am »
What a great thread Amanda!!! I'm glad I found it. I think I need to sit down and watch some reruns of these this weekend. That seems like a great way to relax after I work on the house and the yard. I actually don't see anything listed that I don't like so it was hard to vote. The main two I notice that are missing are two of my favorites:  "Alice" and "One Day At A Time"  ;D

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 02:15:20 pm »
This is a great idea, Amanda.  I love old sitcoms - in fact, there's not much on TV anymore that I do care for and I can't say I watch much of it lately.  But I used to always be able to turn to "TV Land" to find a favorite old sitcom and I'm disappointed to see that they've added reality shows to their schedule.   :-\

Like a lot of us, I also could've picked more than five, but I chose "The Dick Van Dyke Show"  as my "other" and also, Seinfeld, Golden Girls, The Andy Griffith Show and Mary Tyler Moore.   I've watched MASH so many times I think I know a lot of the episodes by heart.  And Marlo Thomas's "That Girl" character was one of the first females on TV to be independent-minded, single, and career-driven (even if she could be a little goofy at times LOL). That's one of the reasons Mary Tyler Moore was so great, too.   And I have to admit that a lot of the "I Love Lucy" episodes are hilarious, even if they're off-the-charts unrealistic. 

"Petticoat Junction" (What can I say, I love trains? I have a set of episodes on VHS, including the pilot.)

I'm jealous.  I used to love watching those re-runs because I wanted to live at The Shady Rest.   :)  It was so lovely and quaint, everyone was so friendly, the weather was always perfect, and if you were a woman you could apparently eat those huge, delicious, fattening meals that were served at the big round table three times a day and never gain any weight! LOL! 

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2008, 02:32:15 pm »
There's also Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, Gilligan's Island, The Munsters, and The Adams Family. And oh yeah The Beverly Hillbillies

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2008, 02:34:27 pm »
I also loved "I Dream of Jeannie".

I always thought that bottle she lived in would make a very cool house!
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2008, 02:34:54 pm »
Somewhat to my surprise, I only picked one on the list, and then checked "Other."

I asked myself which shows I would make an effort to watch as broadcast reruns, or spring for the money to buy them on DVD. The only show on the list that qualified was "I Love Lucy."

Four more that I might have picked but that aren't on the list:

"Bewitched" (I own the first season on DVD.)
"The Beverly Hillbillies"
"Petticoat Junction" (What can I say, I love trains? I have a set of episodes on VHS, including the pilot.)
"Green Acres"

Great choices Jeff!!!

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2008, 02:35:53 pm »
Well I used to watch MASH, The Partridge Family, Happy Days and Mork and Mindy. I also watched Bewitched, but there are loads of good old British sitcoms too that Kelda might know? The Liver Birds, Bless this House, Love thy Neighbour(VERY racist but extreemly funny) George and Mildred, Porridge, It ain,t half hot mum,  The Good Life, To the manor born, Open all Hours, Some mothers do Ave em.(Good old Frank Spencer lol   :laugh:) Then there were our cop shows:  The Sweeney, (greatest of all time) The professionals, Z Cars, Softly Softly Task Force, Dixon of Dock Green. Ahhhhhh, those were the good old days before the bloody killjoy PC brigade came along and spoiled everything.  ::) ::)

What about Are You Being Served and Come Home Mrs. Noah?

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2008, 09:24:55 pm »
There's also Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, Gilligan's Island, The Munsters, and The Adams Family. And oh yeah The Beverly Hillbillies

About The Munsters and Addam's Family...

I loved The Munsters in particular (and I liked the Addam's Family movies... better than the TV show actually).  I didn't put them on the list because I didn't really know how to characterize them as genres.

I guess they really are sitcoms.  They're like their own sub-category of monster/spooky-oriented sitcom.