Author Topic: Which Classic Sitcoms Did You Love... or Still Love?  (Read 33867 times)

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Which Classic Sitcoms Did You Love... or Still Love?
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2008, 10:11:35 pm »
About The Munsters and Addam's Family...

I loved The Munsters in particular (and I liked the Addam's Family movies... better than the TV show actually).  I didn't put them on the list because I didn't really know how to characterize them as genres.

I guess they really are sitcoms.  They're like their own sub-category of monster/spooky-oriented sitcom.

That's a good description of The Munsters and the Addam's Family. I thought about that too. Would they really be considered sitcoms? I think you are right they are in their own sub-category. They certainly aren't they typical sitcom  :) By the way I also like The Munsters better than the Addams Family. I love the theme song for The Munsters too  ;D

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2008, 10:14:45 pm »

I think having a great theme song must be one of the more important ingredients to a sitcom becoming a "classic."  It's not always the case... but when you think about the really good sitcoms there's often a great song associated with it.  And, if there's not a great song there's usually some other standard thing (like an opening) that always sticks in the minds of the audience.  Like Seinfeld.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2008, 11:46:24 pm »
And then there's Married With Children

Offline optom3

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2008, 11:51:48 pm »
What about Are You Being Served and Come Home Mrs. Noah?

Not forgetting butterflies, man about the house and only fools and horses.and Dads army ????

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2008, 12:30:15 am »
That's a good description of The Munsters and the Addam's Family. I thought about that too. Would they really be considered sitcoms? I think you are right they are in their own sub-category. They certainly aren't they typical sitcom  :) By the way I also like The Munsters better than the Addams Family. I love the theme song for The Munsters too  ;D

Da-na-na-na! *snap* *snap* Da-na-na-na! *snap* *snap*

I was an Addam's Family person! lol

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2008, 01:12:52 am »
Amanda, I think you are right on track with sit-coms and the associated soundtrack.  Can you imagine M*A*S*H without SUICIDE IS PAINLESS? Or FRIENDS without I'LL BE THERE FOR YOU?  Or ALL IN THE FAMILY'S THOSE WERE THE DAYS?  OK, I will stop now. :)
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2008, 06:50:25 pm »
SEINFELD was the only show I picked.   I am a big fan of the original Star Trek series. I've watched each episode a zillion times. Unfortunately, it's not aired with much frequency. I think the SPIKE network airs the newer S.T. series, but I don't find them that engaging.

I used to like Hogan's Hero's and Gilligan's Island in syndication.  I know I've seen each episode a number of times.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2008, 08:01:17 pm »
Da-na-na-na! *snap* *snap* Da-na-na-na! *snap* *snap*

I was an Addam's Family person! lol

Me, too, David!

I didn't like scary stuff when I was a small boy. The first time I saw The Addams Family, my mother actually made me watch it with her on a Halloween! I loved it!

I never much cared for The Munsters. On the one hand--no offense intended, Munsters fans--I always suspected it was a rip-off of The Addams Family (just as many years later, I figured Moonlighting--Bruce Willis and Cybil Shepherd--was originally a rip-off of Remington Steele.  ::) )  On the other hand, it always seemed to me that the Munsters were, well, monsters, but the Addamses could be real people--very weird real people, but real people. Plus, Gomez had that toy train thing goin' on. ...  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2008, 08:02:25 pm »
I also loved "I Dream of Jeannie".

I always thought that bottle she lived in would make a very cool house!

And Jeannie was the proof that genies have no belly buttons!  :o  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2008, 08:08:42 pm »
RE: Petticoat Junction:

I'm jealous.  I used to love watching those re-runs because I wanted to live at The Shady Rest.   :)  It was so lovely and quaint, everyone was so friendly, the weather was always perfect, and if you were a woman you could apparently eat those huge, delicious, fattening meals that were served at the big round table three times a day and never gain any weight! LOL! 

I've seen sets of episodes on DVD, but the DVD sets don't seem to include the pilot episode.

I can't prove it, but I believe that Petticoat Junction was inspired by or adapted from a British comedy movie called The Titfield Thunderbolt because the movie was also about people in a small town trying to preserve their local train service, just like the folks in Hooterville were always trying to save the "Hooterville Cannonball" from being scrapped by Mr. Bedloe.

I also have two of the Petticoat Junction HO-scale train sets.  ;D