Author Topic: Which Classic Sitcoms Did You Love... or Still Love?  (Read 33881 times)

Offline forsythia12

• Brokeback Got Me Good
Re: Which Classic Sitcoms Did You Love... or Still Love?
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2008, 11:58:50 am »
well i picked golden girls, family ties, and sienfeld.

other fav's that aren't on there are 'friends', wil & grace, everybody loves raymond, gilligan's island, the monkey's, ....just to name a few.

oh yeah, and 'growing pains'!  loved that one!

does anyone remember ''three's a crowd" ....a spin-off of three's company, after jack got married and lived with his wife and her dad?  it didn't last long.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2008, 04:40:37 pm »
One of these days somebody should start a poll for the worst sitcoms of all time. I have a tie between two: My Mother the Car, about a guy whose dead mother came back as an antique car, and Me and the Chimp, about, well, a guy and a chimp.  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2008, 07:34:59 pm »
One of these days somebody should start a poll for the worst sitcoms of all time. I have a tie between two: My Mother the Car, about a guy whose dead mother came back as an antique car, and Me and the Chimp, about, well, a guy and a chimp.  :laugh:

How about Punky Brewster?  I know that one was relatively popular, but I always remember cringing while watching it.  Jeff, I think bad sitcoms might be a really funny poll!  Go for it!
8)

well i picked golden girls, family ties, and sienfeld.

other fav's that aren't on there are 'friends', wil & grace, everybody loves raymond, gilligan's island, the monkey's, ....just to name a few.

oh yeah, and 'growing pains'!  loved that one!

does anyone remember ''three's a crowd" ....a spin-off of three's company, after jack got married and lived with his wife and her dad?  it didn't last long.

Thanks Bud, yep, you're right that there are a lot of good shows that I just didn't fit on the list.  I stopped when the list hit 30 options for this poll. It's amazing to realize how many good shows there really have been over the years. 

I think it's great if folks keep bringing up and discussing other options that aren't on this particular list.

I'm also really amazed at how popular the Golden Girls is!  I always really liked that show too.  But, it's fascinating to see that it's beating all other options at the moment.  The writing for that show was very smart and quick.  And I love Bea Arthur.
8)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2008, 08:09:24 pm »
I'm also really amazed at how popular the Golden Girls is!  I always really liked that show too.  But, it's fascinating to see that it's beating all other options at the moment.  The writing for that show was very smart and quick.  And I love Bea Arthur.
8)

Are you kidding? Just about every gay man I know is convinced he's one of the Golden Girls!

The ones who think they're Dorothy are usually Rose, and most of them are really Blanche.

Except me. I'm more like Sophia. ...   :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2008, 10:05:31 pm »
......like the folks in Hooterville were always trying to save the "Hooterville Cannonball" from being scrapped by Mr. Bedloe.

Ahh, yes, nasty Mr. Bedloe!  That character actor was forever playing cranky old guys/villains! 

The ones who think they're Dorothy are usually Rose, and most of them are really Blanche.

:laugh:   :laugh:  The writing for the Golden Girls really was smart and very funny!  And the characters were perfectly cast. 

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2008, 01:28:40 pm »
Ahh, yes, nasty Mr. Bedloe!  That character actor was forever playing cranky old guys/villains! 

Homer Bedloe was played by veteran character actor Charles Lane, who died July 9, 2007, at the age of 102.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2008, 02:06:46 pm »
Homer Bedloe was played by veteran character actor Charles Lane, who died July 9, 2007, at the age of 102.

I didn't realize he died only a year ago!  He was definitely one of the most recognizable - and successful - character actors ever.  I also remember him as Henry Potter's rent collector in It's A Wonderful Life.  I found this 100th birthday tribute on youtube:

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua1weS_Aepw[/youtube]
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2008, 02:09:53 pm »
Great thread, Bud!

I missed seeing FRIENDS, THE DICK VAN DYKE SHOW and BEWITCHED. But it's probably OK, because I already could have picked more than five.

I deleted THAT GIRL because I haven't seen it since the '60s and I can't say what I'd think if I watched it now. I sure liked it at the time. But then, I felt the same way about GIDGET until it came on in reruns a couple of years ago and I realized how sexist and dated it was.

What amazed me more is how many old sitcoms I never really DID like. Even (*dons hardhat*) I LOVE LUCY.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2008, 02:36:19 pm »
I didn't realize he died only a year ago!  He was definitely one of the most recognizable - and successful - character actors ever.  I also remember him as Henry Potter's rent collector in It's A Wonderful Life.  I found this 100th birthday tribute on youtube.

For me, the strange thing was, just before he died, I had watched The Music Man on video. He played the town constable of River City.

I don't think Hollywood has a place for character actors like him anymore.  :(

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2008, 02:44:37 pm »
I deleted THAT GIRL because I haven't seen it since the '60s and I can't say what I'd think if I watched it now. I sure liked it at the time. But then, I felt the same way about GIDGET until it came on in reruns a couple of years ago and I realized how sexist and dated it was.

Well, for it's time, That Girl is now considered groundbreaking. Anne Marie was a single career woman even before Mary Richards.

The man who composed the show's theme, Earle Hagan (sp?), just died. I saw a tribute to him on AOL just yesterday.

What amazed me more is how many old sitcoms I never really DID like. Even (*dons hardhat*) I LOVE LUCY.

Hey, maybe your taste just doesn't run to slapstick. In any case, "Let he who is withoug guilt. ..." It won't be me. There are many "classics" that I didn't like (Seinfeld) or never watched (Everybody Loves Raymond). Others I was a faithful viewer in their day but have no desire to revisit (e.g., The Mary Tyler Moore Show, either of Bob Newhart's shows).