Author Topic: Which Classic Sitcoms Did You Love... or Still Love?  (Read 33883 times)

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • I swear.............
Re: Which Classic Sitcoms Did You Love... or Still Love?
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2008, 04:21:06 pm »
Only FIVE Amanda? That's not enough!!  :laugh:

Leave It To Beaver is definately one of my favorites! I had such a huge crush on Wally (Tony Dow) when I was a kid!

Oh me too. I couldn't really articulate it till I got older but yeah!
Wally was kinda hot!  :laugh:
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2008, 05:42:18 pm »
Didn't you always wonder about this line:

A hot dog makes her lose control

Even if you take it at face value, it doesn't make any sense. Who loses control ... over a hot dog??

I think those theme-song writers were up to some mischief.  ::)  ;)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2008, 06:09:29 pm »
Anybody remember the Patty Duke Show? For some reason I watched that when I was little. I didn't really understand it, but it was always on. Mom watched it.

David, I only have vague memories of it, but I don't think anybody really understood that show!  Patty Duke won an Oscar for "The Miracle Worker" and I think they were desperate to take advantage of that, so someone had a wacky idea and they went with it! 

I think those theme-song writers were up to some mischief.  ::)  ;)

:laugh: :laugh:  I was just about to make the same observation - I can just picture them writing that line!  Yeah, they were definitely messing with us! 

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2008, 11:57:32 pm »
There are many "classics" that I didn't like (Seinfeld) or never watched (Everybody Loves Raymond). Others I was a faithful viewer in their day but have no desire to revisit (e.g., The Mary Tyler Moore Show, either of Bob Newhart's shows).

I really loved Seinfeld, and voted for it here.  But, it took me quite a while to get into it I recall.  For maybe even many seasons, I just never really was all that excited by it.  But, at some point a light bulb went on or something for me and I totally fell in love with it and watched it regularly.  I think it's an acquired taste.  My Grandmother used to completely love Seinfeld too... and used to do the most adorable imitations of some of the characters.  It was really endearing. 

And, about the Newhart shows... my Mom and I used to love watching the second Newhart show (the one where he was an innkeeper in Vermont) together.  We watched it really faithfully and my Mom has since purchased some of the seasons on DVD.  I completely missed the first Newhart sitcom... I don't think I've ever even seen a single episode of the first one.  But, the Vermont Newhart show definitely seems very dated now.

One interesting thing about Bob Newhart, is that apparently he's Ellen's comedic icon and to a certain degree she models her style after his.  I remember she had him on her show once and was sitting in awe of him.  It was cute.  I really like his dead-pan humor.  And, you can sort of see a similarity, in terms of humor-style, with Ellen when you think about it.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2008, 08:32:06 am »
I remember all of those, David, although for the record most of them were in syndication -- NOT prime time -- by the time I watched them as a kid.

It's funny; The Andy Griffith Show theme is extremely memorable, as is, to a lesser extent, That Girl, The Mod Squad and The Dick Van Dyke Show.

I can't remember how Gomer Pyle goes, though. I never watched I Spy.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2008, 04:56:33 am »
The Gomer Pyle theme song is clear in my head, a very stirring march, with a little whimsy thrown in. 

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JAA2Unb0B4[/youtube]

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2008, 02:26:59 pm »
The Gomer Pyle theme song is clear in my head, a very stirring march, with a little whimsy thrown in. 

Thank you, Elle! You've filled a glaring hole in my sitcom memories.

Offline loneleeb3

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Posting Vacation
  • I swear.............
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2008, 12:13:31 pm »
I found this really cool site and I thought I would share it with y'all.
You can look up old TV shows, toys, candy etc from the turn of the century (1900's) to the 90's.
I have had  a great time reminiscing!

http://www.skooldays.com/

I found one of my favorites from Childhood on there!! 

ULTRA MAN!!!
"The biggest obstacle to most of us achieving our dreams isn't reality, it's our own fear"

"Saint Paul had his Epiphany on the road to Damascus, Mine was on Brokeback Mountain"

retropian

« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2008, 04:20:54 am »
I found this really cool site and I thought I would share it with y'all.
You can look up old TV shows, toys, candy etc from the turn of the century (1900's) to the 90's.
I have had  a great time reminiscing!

http://www.skooldays.com/

I found one of my favorites from Childhood on there!! 

ULTRA MAN!!!

Awsome! I love revisiting old TV from my youth! I remember Ultra Man too! I especially love the original Underdog and many many years later I came across it running on a local station early in the AM. Still loved it. My favorite quote "A good blow to the head with this brick should do it." I made that my motto for a time.

Offline Dobie1018

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2008, 12:56:45 pm »
I picked I Love Lucy (who doesn't love I Love Lucy?!), Leave It To Beaver, The Andy Griffith Show, Family Ties (I loved Michael J. Fox's Alex character - so funny!) and Seinfeld (it has me in tears laughing so hard while watching!).  Another show I love to watch faithfully that I didn't notice on the list is, of course, Everybody Loves Raymond - another show I laugh out loud regularly while watching!