Author Topic: Proud to Present: A New Brokie  (Read 5872 times)

Offline ednbarby

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Proud to Present: A New Brokie
« on: May 24, 2008, 10:25:56 pm »
I've had a screen cap of Ennis leaning against Joe Aguirre's trailer in that first scene tacked up in my cube for two years.  Shortlly after Heath died, a co-worker I've known all that time stopped by to talk to me about work-related things, looked at it and said, "That's Heath Ledger, the one who died, isn't it?  He was such a talented actor."  It turned out she had never seen Brokeback, not because it wasn't her cup of tea - just hadn't gotten around to it.  But she'd seen him in "Casanova" and was really taken by him.

She said, "I really need to see that movie one of these days."  And you know me - I told her I just happened to have a copy, and she was welcome to borrow it.  I  brought it to her a couple days later.  I was a little concerned about her taste in movies - she had recommended a couple of things to me in the past with a decidedly conservative bent.  But she seemed aware of the subject matter, and said she liked a good drama, so I said, what the hell.

Well, a couple weeks later, she brings it back to me one morning, and she says, "Wow.  Just... wow.  That was really deep.  My husband and I were up half the night talking about it.  And I found myself tearing up in the shower this morning just thinking about it."

I do believe I've converted another one.  Amen, and hallelujah.
No more beans!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Proud to Present: A New Brokie
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 11:45:22 pm »

That's a great story Barb! I'm glad to hear about your friend's response. 8)

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Sheriff Roland

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 12:09:24 am »
Yes, thanks for sharing your story. It's nice to see the story hasn't lost any of it's original 'wow'.
2015 - Toronto: Pan Am Games
2015 - Edmonton, Montréal, Ottawa, Vancouver, Winnipeg: Woman's World Cup of Soccer

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 12:13:44 am »

I love hearing stories about folks who are just discovering it for the first time.  It's such an exciting time to go through the first stages of Brokie fever.  Every time BBM is on cable someplace for the first time, etc. it seems that we find a few new Brokies coming along.  The more time that passes the more we'll see how "timeless" BBM is in terms of having an impact on new audiences over many years.

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2008, 12:27:56 am »
I love hearing stories about folks who are just discovering it for the first time.  It's such an exciting time to go through the first stages of Brokie fever.  Every time BBM is on cable someplace for the first time, etc. it seems that we find a few new Brokies coming along.  The more time that passes the more we'll see how "timeless" BBM is in terms of having an impact on new audiences over many years.

It is definitely timeless and appeals to the most unlikey people.I have a friend and her husband is an alcoholic. Dry now for nearly 5 months.He has done so well He really is a typical macho male,all big truck etc.Long story short  he knows of my obsession with it.Difficult to avoid as it is my screensaver and I nearly always have the book out referring to something,plus the cd playing.
So he decides much against his better judgement I think ,to give it a go.I fully expected trite comments and a general panning of it.Much to my surprise,his first words were and I quote, " well that cuts a bit deep doesn't it"
I nearly fell over.It just has a message for everyone.To him it was all the time wasted drinking and as a result,the possible breakdown of his marriage.Also the fallout from his drinking.which affected hs whole family.
BBM never was and never will be just a gay cowboy movie.If macho men like him can relate to it,then anyone can.It has a universal message,so unless you have led a perfect and utterly blameless life,if you allow yourself,you cannot help but be affected by it.

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • There ain't never enough time...
    • NeonBlue Dreams
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2008, 04:50:19 pm »
I do believe I've converted another one.  Amen, and hallelujah.

Yay! Great news! I think I managed another two converts on my recent trip away, and one of the girls at work has asked if she can borrow the DVD, that's if I don't mind being   parted from it....duh! Like I've only got one copy!  :laugh:

"No matter how hard you try, You're still in prison, If ya born with wings and you never fly."

Offline ChrisC

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 04:02:17 pm »
I'm still very new here, and have only recently seen BBM on DVD.  I've watched it 6 times now and am almost constantly talking about it to friends and family.  My sister even stated 'I've never know you to talk about film so much'. She now wants to see it (to see what the fuss is about).  It's a similar story for colleagues at work, I'm sure they will all be equally impressed.

I watched it again last night, and to be honest I could have watched it again straight after. It's like any great art work, you can look at it indefinately without get bored with it.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 04:16:33 pm »
I'm still very new here, and have only recently seen BBM on DVD.  I've watched it 6 times now and am almost constantly talking about it to friends and family.  My sister even stated 'I've never know you to talk about film so much'. She now wants to see it (to see what the fuss is about).  It's a similar story for colleagues at work, I'm sure they will all be equally impressed.

I watched it again last night, and to be honest I could have watched it again straight after. It's like any great art work, you can look at it indefinately without get bored with it.

I hope your sister and colleagues at work enjoy the movie as much as you did Chris. And we sure are glad to have you here at Bettermost with us! :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 04:17:07 pm »

;D :D
Your post is making me very nostalgic for my first days/ weeks/ months as a Brokie.  The intensity of discovering BBM can be pretty overwhelming... but in a really wonderful way.  I absolutely recall the phase you seem to be in... where you can't stop thinking about it and keep bringing it up with those around you.  I definitely did that.

I remember the overwhelming urge to keep going to the theatre to see it over and over again.  Never enough.  That's for sure.

Love for BBM after all this time (I still can't really believe how long it's been for me already) definitely stays intense, but the experience certainly evolves and changes over time.  I still have a pretty healthy appetite for watching it repeatedly.  I remember when I first got the DVD it was sort of ridiculous how often I watched it.  

And, still to this day I'm reluctant to go see other movies... or I'm always slightly disappointed by other movies I see.  Essentially, my urge to go to the movies has been totally dampened by the BBM experience.  It was like the ultimate movie for me... and the rest just pale in comparison.  And, I'm saying this as someone who's taught as a Teaching Assistant for two film courses when I was in grad school.

Anyway...

I'm so glad you found your way to BetterMost Chris!
8)

Offline ChrisC

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2008, 06:04:44 pm »

And, still to this day I'm reluctant to go see other movies... or I'm always slightly disappointed by other movies I see. essentially, my urge to go to the movies has been totally dampened by the BBM experience.  It was like the ultimate movie for me... and the rest just pale in comparison.  

You are so right with what you say, the other night I thought I'd settle down an watch a film that others had said, 'You'll like it, it's' a really good film'.  So I watched it, and to honest, I was glad I didn't pay money to see it.......

It all just seemed so 'watered down', compared to the fullness (if that's the right word) of BBM. It just holds me in its wonderful embrace each time, so warm and comforting.

Everyday I have logged onto BetterMost, I've posted a few comments here and there, but most of the time I have been reading some of the amazing observations some of you guys have posted over previous months or even years, and this spurs me on to go back and watch BBM, just incase I've missed something. I often wish that I had seen it when first released, but my partner at the time showed no intreset in seeing it.......somebody even bought him the DVD, and he still didn't watch it.  It wasn't until after we split (co-incidently 22nd Jan 08) that the DVD almost jumped off the shelf into my lap wanting to be viewed, and now I'm forever hooked.   --- is this is my new love affair  ;)  maybe.