Author Topic: Bliss has got a new toy  (Read 2704 times)

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • There ain't never enough time...
    • NeonBlue Dreams
Bliss has got a new toy
« on: May 26, 2008, 05:42:10 pm »
Bliss likes her geeky toys, and to ensure that she can do what she likes doing best wherever she might be, she's just got herself a lovely new toy!  ;D

7" of totally portable pure loveliness (and no, it's not *that* kind of toy  :laugh:)

It's a totally gorgeous ASUS Eee PC that's truly pocket sized, and with my Vodafone USB modem will allow me to get online absolutely anywhere! (including abroad, so methinks it may be going to the EuroBrokie meetup too!)

Mine's in the "Lush Green" colour - not my favourite colour, but it was all they had in stock in that model, and I've designed myself a custom skin for it anyhow (I'll post piccies when it arrives). Tiny mini keyboard, lovely little screen....7", weighs less than 1kg, solid state disk, wireless, built in Skype, microphone, speakers, card reader and webcam...it's damned near perfect!

Best of all, not one shred of nasty horrid evil Micro$oft in sight! It runs on the Linux open source operating system, and wastes no time loading pretty but totally pointless junk like Windoze does. From switch-on to fully loaded and operational in around 10 seconds, and shuts down in around 5 seconds.

Of course like all computers they work better if you give them a name and talk nicely to them. My other computers all have names - my desktop's "Diva", my laptop's "Divaette" (she's a mini Diva - lol!), my PDA's named 'Bliss' after me, and my new Eee PC, which is totally gorgeous and damned near perfect is called.....Jack!  ;D

Piccies below  with DVD case for scale....   

"No matter how hard you try, You're still in prison, If ya born with wings and you never fly."

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Bliss has got a new toy
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2008, 06:33:48 pm »
Totally cool!! And TINY! Wow -- I've never seen one that small. Have fun, Bliss.  ;)
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • NeonBlue Dreams
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 08:13:51 pm »
It's great!

I've been telling myself for ages that I need to seriously try out Linux - I hate M$ with a vengeance but I've never really stepped outside my comfort zone and investigated Linux on a PC. My websites all run on Linux servers and I've done a little server  level stuff, but Linux on a PC's totally new to me. I've only had it a couple of days and I'm finding my way around the Linux operating system okay, and not missing Windows one bit. There's everything I need on it, without all the rubbish that just clogs computers up.

The only problem is that it has a seriously addictive game on it called "Frozen Bubble"...I've just spent the last two hours playing it trying to beat my high score from yesterday!  :laugh:

"No matter how hard you try, You're still in prison, If ya born with wings and you never fly."

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2008, 09:34:52 pm »
 :laugh: ;D

I know -- I waste time playing games when I should be cleaning house!   :P :-\ ::)
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 01:33:09 pm »
my god - that IS tiny!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline BlissC

• Brokeback Got Me Good
    • NeonBlue Dreams
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2008, 07:39:47 pm »
...but damned near perfect.  ;) (except for a dodgy space bar, but apparently that's a "feature" not a bug  :laugh: - you just have to press the space bar really firmly otherwise you end up with words strung together.)

I took it to work today (first day back after almost a month off on leave - rather a shock to the system!) and I had half the department come in to have a look at it.  :laugh:

Offline sel

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 03:24:47 pm »
Must say I am very impressed by 'Jack'! Who would want any other toy?! 
BbM, I swear