Author Topic: NEW FEST: 20th Anniversary NY LGB&T Film Festival: "Were the World Mine" (2008)  (Read 37474 times)

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: NEW FEST: The 20th Anniversary New York LGB&T Film Festival: Great Movies!
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2008, 03:10:36 am »

Have you seen this, John?  The trailer for the short "Fairies" from 2003, the inspiration for "Were the World Mine".  Interestingly, also stars Wendy Robie, albeit with shorter hair.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvcOeRnMb5A[/youtube]

PAUL! Thank you for this--now I am desperate to see 'Fairies' forthwith!

Best ever: Wendy Robie has literally the Last Word: Luscious!

Yes!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2008, 09:06:50 am by jmmgallagher »
"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2008, 03:35:37 am »

-- Advisory: Boys kiss boys often in this film, but nothing truly shocking.

My advice to the Advisory: Boys should kiss boys often--period!

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2008, 12:39:05 pm »

Not totally left field--these two music videos are from songs featured in Were the World Mine

Mika - Relax Take It Easy (3:47)
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Be6jlCuMvVQ[/youtube]

Patrick Wolf - The Magic Position (4:04)
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMrWcjKzajk[/youtube]

If Youtube does not allow you to see Patrick Wolf - The Magic Position embeded, click on
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMrWcjKzajk
and see it directly on YouTube.

(Mr. Wolf really seems to have a Were the World Mine kind of aesthetic, don't you think?)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2008, 07:21:24 pm by jmmgallagher »

"Camping Out"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2008, 04:16:00 pm »
Hey John, I just saw Were the World Mind again tonight, as it opened in Boston.

It's still winsome and luscious.  I liked it better the second time even.

I thought I caught something new:  there was a part where I thought Timothy was going to use the magic pansy to try to get his parents back together.  It looked to me as if they contemplated this (the split had been alluded to), but decided against it, as it would spoil the "gay thing".   

Anyway, the Midsummer Night's Dream thing was wonderful:  such an accessible play to high school students of any time. 

You're right, John, the production looked marvelous.

BTW, Mr. Gustafson and Mr. Kreuckenberg presented the film at the Provincetown film festival.  Boy, it's so hard to get these little indie gems shown.  Good luck to them. 

I am going to see this on Dec 26 in Denver with my friend Offline Chuck!! Thanks for your recommendation (and Tru's!!)
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2008, 05:28:02 pm »
I am going to see this on Dec 26 in Denver with my friend Offline Chuck!! Thanks for your recommendation (and Tru's!!)

I hope you love it, FRiend!  Report back with your thoughts.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.

http://www.salon.com/ent/critics_picks/2008/06/21/june21/

"Chris & Don: A Love Story"

English writer Christopher Isherwood and American painter Don Bachardy were a Los Angeles power couple decades before anyone had ever said "gay" and "marriage" in the same sentence -- unless they meant a tipsy hetero pair -- but the documentary "Chris & Don: A Love Story" is much more than an illustration that, hey, homos can have real relationships. Isherwood was already a middle-aged famous writer (author of "The Berlin Stories") when he met the much younger Bachardy on Santa Monica Beach in 1952, and in the succeeding years the duo both embodied stereotypes about homosexual love -- theirs was something of a master-pupil relationship, and not altogether monogamous -- and uprooted them. Direction by Tina Mascara and Guido Santi is straightforward, but this appealing mixture of home movies, contemporary interviews and animation captures the spirit of a pioneering sexual, personal and artistic partnership and the remarkable literary-artistic circle -- Aldous Huxley, Bertrand Russell and Igor Stravinsky were among their friends -- that nurtured it. (Now playing in New York and Rochester, N.Y. Opens July 4 in Los Angeles; July 18 in Boston and San Francisco; July 25 in Chicago, Lake Worth, Fla., Minneapolis, Philadelphia, San Diego, Washington and Wilmington, Del.; and Aug. 1 in Atlanta, St. Louis and Seattle, with more cities to follow.)

-- Andrew O'Hehir

Offline Chuck and I watched this last nite. It is a lovely documentary with wonderful photos and home movies. I especially loved the drawings that Don made of Chris and others.

Couples of any stripe can learn a lot about love and relationships by watching this movie. Chris(topher Isherwood) and Don decided not to obtain a pet but instead to make each other their pet and give each other the affection that otherwise would be siphoned off by the pet. Thus, Chris became Old Dobbin the horse (he was 30 years older than Don) and Don is a lovely cat. This concept was illustrated in beautiful animations taken from the birthday cards they had given each other over the years.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

• BetterMost Supporter!

Bump

"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
CHRIS & DON: A LOVE STORY (2007) Full Documentary on Youtube
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2017, 05:23:05 pm »

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJsczmtGjxs[/youtube]
Chris & Don - A Love Story (2007)
Published on Jun 29, 2017

Offline Chuck and I watched this last nite. It is a lovely documentary with wonderful photos and home movies. I especially loved the drawings that Don made of Chris and others.

Couples of any stripe can learn a lot about love and relationships by watching this movie. Chris(topher Isherwood) and Don decided not to obtain a pet but instead to make each other their pet and give each other the affection that otherwise would be siphoned off by the pet. Thus, Chris became Old Dobbin the horse (he was 30 years older than Don) and Don is a lovely cat. This concept was illustrated in beautiful animations taken from the birthday cards they had given each other over the years.

Chris & Don: a love story

(USA, 2007, 90 mins)
Directed By: Guido Santi, Tina Mascara

When 18-year-old Don Bachardy was introduced to 49-year-old Christopher Isherwood in 1950s Malibu, neither man knew it would be the start of a love story that would last for 30 years.

Chris & Don chronicles their years together, with the vibrant and engaging Don at this extraordinary documentary’s epicenter. Don, a UCLA student with artistic talents, became the ideal companion for Isherwood, the celebrated British writer best known for his Berlin Stories.

Despite their age difference, a relationship blossomed, and Don soon moved in with Chris. Growing up in the LA suburbs enamored with Hollywood, Don had crashed premieres to take photos with celebrities. With Chris, he suddenly found himself hobnobbing with all manner of luminaries from the arts and literary scene, such as WH Auden, Igor Stravinsky, and Tennessee Williams.

Encouraged by Chris, Don developed his artistic ambitions in art school and eventually found his own fame as a painter, with Chris as his regular model. Open about their relationship at a time when homosexuality wasn’t discussed in polite conversation, Chris and Don weathered the various storms resulting from their different ages, classes, and backgrounds, and remained together until Chris’ death in 1986.

Combining interviews with Don, Chris’ personal journal entries, rare home movies, and archival footage, Guido Santi and Tina Mascara have crafted a very personal story, best demonstrated through the charming animated sequences depicting the horse and cat alter-egos the couple doodled on their personal letters over the years. Chris & Don is a touching, illuminating portrait of the enduring power of love.

A sleeper hit at the Telluride Film Festival, CHRIS & DON: A LOVE STORY is the true-life story of the passionate three-decade relationship between British writer Christopher Isherwood (whose Berlin Stories was the basis for all incarnations of the much-beloved Cabaret) and American portrait painter Don Bachardy, thirty years his junior. From Isherwood’s Kit-Kat-Club years in Weimar-era Germany (the inspiration for his most famous work) to the couple’s first meeting on the sun-kissed beaches of 1950s Malibu, their against-all-odds saga is brought to dazzling life by a treasure trove of multimedia. Bachardy’s contemporary reminiscences (in the Santa Monica home he shared with Isherwood until his death in 1986) artfully interact with archival footage, rare home movies (with glimpses of glitterati pals W.H. Auden, Igor Stravinsky and Tennessee Williams), reenactments, and, most sweetly, whimsical animations based on the cat-and-horse cartoons the pair used in their personal correspondence. With Isherwood’s status as an out-and-proud gay maverick, and Bachardy’s eventual artistic triumph away from the considerable shadow of his life partner, CHRIS & DON: A LOVE STORY is above all a joyful celebration of a most extraordinary couple.

CHRIS & DON will open on June 13 2008 at New York's Quad Cinema, 34 West 13th Street, (212) 255-8800

The Trailer:
http://www.zeitgeistfilms.com/chris&don/

"Camping Out"