Author Topic: Did Ennis Flirt?  (Read 14357 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: Did Ennis Flirt?
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2008, 12:02:30 pm »
God, I love both of them in that precious scene! *sigh*

Oh, me too, Fabienne!  This is a scene I never get tired of watching.  And "the look" never fails to just kill me.  Talk about a picture being worth a thousand words.

The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Gabreya

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2008, 10:23:49 pm »
Oh, me too, Fabienne!  This is a scene I never get tired of watching.  And "the look" never fails to just kill me.  Talk about a picture being worth a thousand words.

Me, three! That was a really emotionally moving yet sweet scene. My heart aches for them.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2008, 02:42:54 am »
I think the question 'Did Ennis flirt' is answered in that picture. God, those eyes, that little smile!

Thanks for posting that Marie.  :)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline optom3

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2008, 12:25:25 pm »
This is a great topic.  :)

The thing that came to my mind about Ennis flirting, was his line 'Hell, that's more words than I spoke in a year.'

He was engaged when he met Jack and Jack already knew that at this point. So Ennis was telling Jack 'I like talking to you so much. I've spoken more to you than I've done with other people, including Alma.' And the way he feels comfortable enough to share this with Jack, barring his soul like that. Painful as that revelation might have been (Ennis basically tells Jack about loneliness and not fitting in), it tells Jack a lot, I think.

And the way Ennis looks at Jack after he tells him this, he must have known what message he was sending.

God, I love both of them in that precious scene! *sigh*

I love that scene as well, hell I love the whole movie. I do think it is very revealing that Jack has so successfully managed in a relatively short period of time to draw Ennis out of himself.He is so relaxed in his company, he is actually stringing together whole sentences.From that first solitary word, "Ennis" when Jack says, your folks just stop at Ennis, to actually volunteering added information, what a journey.!!
I still think when Ennis says he hasn't had the opportunity to "sin" yet is  flirting.From a man as closed in as Ennis, to have moved from only volunteering his first name, to telling Jack he hasn't yet sinned is a quantum leap.
I am not sure he realises the depth of his attraction, as he has no benchmark to compare it with.So I still think it is almost subconscious.I do believe though that Jack has made him "feel" the way no one else in his life ever has.
I think he has already fallen in love, and it maybe feels like a punch in the solar plexus to him.He knows that something within him has changed, almost like a seismic shift.Hence the pawing the white out of the moon.He just does not have the life experience to know what is happening.When I first really fell in love, I was in my thirties, and despite thinking I was in love before, and being more worldly than Ennis, it still struck like a thunderbolt.I could no more verbalise it than I could understand it.It just was.In fact it still is.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 07:49:23 pm by optom3 »

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2008, 03:36:47 pm »
Wow optom !

Well said !

If I may say, I  would take that word almost therefore out ?

Since, Ennis was flirting then ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline optom3

« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2008, 07:51:22 pm »
Wow optom !

Well said !

If I may say, I  would take that word almost therefore out ?

Since, Ennis was flirting then ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

I re read my post, had a little think, and have to agree with your suggestion,consider the matter dealt with !!!!!!!

Offline Gabreya

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2008, 10:07:47 pm »
 :) :)

Offline Artiste

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2008, 05:39:02 pm »
And Ennis did flirt often ?

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2008, 10:17:28 am »

I think even in the moments when we perceive Ennis to be "flirting"... or revealing his attraction to Jack, he is almost always doing this subconsciously or almost despite himself.  When he's around Jack... early on and through the film... he wears his heart on his sleeve a little bit more than he seems to in other situations.  But, only a little bit.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2008, 12:44:39 pm »
I think even in the moments when we perceive Ennis to be "flirting"... or revealing his attraction to Jack, he is almost always doing this subconsciously or almost despite himself.  When he's around Jack... early on and through the film... he wears his heart on his sleeve a little bit more than he seems to in other situations.  But, only a little bit.

Yeah, I love the "look", but I have to agree with you, Amanda.  It springs from his heart, but not from his conscious mind.  And I do think that's also true for the other "flirting" moments.   I think he wears his heart on his sleeve a little more simply because he feels so comfortable with Jack.

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain