Author Topic: What do you like on your fries?  (Read 17385 times)

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: What do you like on your fries?
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2008, 01:49:17 pm »
I chose salt, ketchup and other.  It's funny, I like ketchup on my fries, but not on anything else. The only time I eat ketchup is with fries. I would never put ketchup on a hot dog or hamburger, for instance.  I chose "other" because I like seasoned fries.  I've had some really good seasoned fries in restaurants, but I'm not sure what combination of seasonings they've used.  I'll have to try Old Bay -  and I think garlic fries sound great!

.. The one kind of fry that I really can't stand are really think cut fries... I don't like it when the center of the fry is too mealy... which often seems to be the case with really thick fries.

Add my agreement to this!  In fact, I don't think some of those really thick cuts like steak fries qualify as fries at all - they're just potatoes - a fry has to have a good crispy crunch to it!   :)

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline optom3

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2008, 01:57:59 pm »
There ya go David, now you know what a chip butty is.  :laugh:  Make sure you have PLENTY of butter on your bread though; this is so when you take a big delicious bite, all the butter drips down your chin.  :laugh:  HP sauce is the KINIG of sauces, yummmmmyyyyyyy.  God now I want one and it,s only 9.15 in the morning for Christs sake.  :laugh: :laugh:  Oh and next time your boyfriend comes over from England, make sure you ask him to bring you a bottle of HP.  :laugh:

I was up at an ungodly hour this morning, made my bread and chips and that is what I had for breakfast,so did the kids. Now I need chips and curry sauce. I am so giving away my northern roots here.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2008, 02:06:43 pm »
I chose salt, ketchup and other.  It's funny, I like ketchup on my fries, but not on anything else. The only time I eat ketchup is with fries. I would never put ketchup on a hot dog or hamburger, for instance.  I chose "other" because I like seasoned fries.  I've had some really good seasoned fries in restaurants, but I'm not sure what combination of seasonings they've used.  I'll have to try Old Bay -  and I think garlic fries sound great!

Add my agreement to this!  In fact, I don't think some of those really thick cuts like steak fries qualify as fries at all - they're just potatoes - a fry has to have a good crispy crunch to it!   :)

Marie

Aha! Of course it does!

Soggy fries?? Yuck!!

Of course you can only get them crunchy if you fry then twice. Yes, TWICE!

Here the recipe for REAL fries. From the One and Only Original Belgian Fries website  :laugh: http://www.belgianfries.com/

The secret recipe! (don't tell anyone about it)

What do we need? Some fine potatoes (Bintje is the best, but in the US Yucon Gold or Russett will do fine), a sharp knife, a deep fryer, frying oil (any oil that can take the heat will do but will determine the taste of the fries), some kitchen paper and a bowl or an ovenplate.

Start by peeling the potatoes. Cut them in slices 1 cm (3/8") thick and finally cut them into fries of 1 cm square .. Dry the fries well in paper or a towel before putting them into the oil.

Note: some people like to put them in cold water for a few minutes: this washes out much of the starch and tends to make them less sticky after the first frying and more crispy after the second.

Heat the oil in a hot frying pan or deep fryer to a temperature of 160°C (320°F). Put in a handfull of fries: not more at once because the oil will cool down too much. Fry for a few minutes (4-8 depending on the thickness and the kind of potatoes), stir regularly to prevent sticking. Put the fries into a large bowl with kitchenpaper (or even better on an ovenplate) and let them cool down and 'sweat' for at least 1/2 hour.

Finally heat to 190°C (375°F) and fry for 2 minutes until crispy and golden brown. This way the fries will be crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, the way they should be!

Serve with a little salt (no vinegar pleeeeease) and some mayonaise.

Enjoy!

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2008, 02:30:33 pm »
That's so funny to me to see mayonnaise on top of fries! The fries look tasty!
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

injest

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2008, 02:59:37 pm »
man you can do just about anything to a potato and it will be delish!

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2008, 03:06:27 pm »
Thanks for the recipe Fabienne! I'll give it a try sometime soon! :D

I agree with you Jess. I love potatoes too. The skin is my favorite part of a baked potato. I like to bake the potato until the skin gets crunchy, and then once I'm finished with the inside part, I'll douce the skin with a LOT of salt!!! Yummy! :)

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2008, 03:11:09 pm »
Here the recipe for REAL fries. From the One and Only Original Belgian Fries website  :laugh: http://www.belgianfries.com/

Oh, thanks for that, Fabienne!  My mother-in-law is Belgian and I know how seriously she takes her potatoes! LOL!  I don't do much deep frying, but I may have to try this one.  I've also never tried mayonnaise on my fries, but all this talk has made me curious.  I'm thinking if I mix some minced garlic in with mayonnaise it would be even better!  :D

man you can do just about anything to a potato and it will be delish!

This is true!

The skin is my favorite part of a baked potato. I like to bake the potato until the skin gets crunchy, ...

Yep, me too, David!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2008, 03:18:45 pm »
Happy deep frying Marie and David.

Are you going to make the mayonaise yourself Marie? 'Cause I can get you a good recipe for that too of course.  ;)  ;D

injest

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2008, 04:09:15 pm »
Thanks for the recipe Fabienne! I'll give it a try sometime soon! :D

I agree with you Jess. I love potatoes too. The skin is my favorite part of a baked potato. I like to bake the potato until the skin gets crunchy, and then once I'm finished with the inside part, I'll douce the skin with a LOT of salt!!! Yummy! :)

oh Have I got a recipe for YOU!

will send it via pm so I won't get censured for off topic conversation that disturbs people.

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2008, 04:31:58 pm »
disturbs people??

I don't know what kind of recipe you've got in mind Jess, but it sure sounds intriguing.

Do share.  :)