Author Topic: The "You gotta feel sorry for Jack" thread  (Read 11201 times)

Offline Noviani

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Best Love Story of All Time
Re: The "You gotta feel sorry for Jack" thread
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2006, 09:38:12 pm »
I gotta feel sorry for Jack, driving 1200 miles for nothing after Ennis' divorce.

most people will quit when they are turned down that way.

most people will quit and open themselves new pages.

but not our jack.

he stays.

he endures.

he longs.

so little he can say but so much he has done.
"Sometimes I miss you so much I can hardly stand it..."

I finally found an Indonesian-translated version of BBM short story!!!!!
Ye-haww!!

Offline Noviani

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2006, 09:43:32 pm »
For all my love for these two characters, this is another aspect of their relations that puzzles me. When you are in love with someone, it makes sense that you would want to know everything about your beloved, including everything about their past, their childhood, and all the myriad factors that helped make them who they were when you met them. I could imagine being in Jack's place, for example, and taking a trip down to Sage simply to get a better idea of what shaped my soul-mate's being. Yet there is no evidence of such an impulse on Jack's part, and, as you say, it is only in Jack's death that Ennis exhibits curiosity about Lightning Flat. Perhaps the implication is that, in life, the two men took each other for granted; it was death that revealed the true depths of feeling to Ennis's conscious mind.

Quite sad, indeed.

Moremojo,

to me it's not "quite sad"...it's devastating!! :'(

anything related to death scared me to death. My Grand dad passed away exactly 3 years ago today, and i learnt hard deal from that. when your loved one dies, there is no second chance. it is stopped. final closure. that's it. a situation where no efforts can bring them back, no matter how open your mind is now.

well, i going everywhere with this.

Sorry.

Ye-haww!!

moremojo

« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2006, 12:19:40 am »

Sorry.
No apologies needed, Noviani. Thanks for sharing; this is a place where you are perfectly free and safe to do so.

Death can indeed be devastating for those left behind. I think time can be a great healer, but everyone heals at a different pace, and for some, no amount of time seems to be enough. Perhaps we can take some comfort in knowing that loss is a universal experience, that everyone can relate to in some degree, and that can create bonds among the living, dealing with our common grief.

There can be profound beauty and honor in death, both in facing our own and in accepting that of those dear to us. I take some comfort in this thought.

Sincerely,
Scott

Offline Noviani

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2006, 02:46:56 am »
Hi Scott,

i think that is one strongest reason why i found BBM is haunting for me. Because of Jack's death, their relation froze and nothing was resolved.

when there is no closure to a story/ movie like this... it tags you along for a very... very ... long time.

Novi

Ye-haww!!

Offline insane-romantic

• Jr. Ranch Hand
    • My Myspace
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2006, 05:46:37 pm »
You gotta feel sorry for Jack when Ennis punches him. Jack only made his nose bleed by accident and then is really apologetic, but Ennis still punches him and Jack curls up and looks all sorry for himself as he watched Ennis storm off. Poor Jack  :(
I saw you were sick and tired of my wrong turns.
If you only knew the way I feel,
I'd really love to tell you,
But I could never seem to say
The things I needed to.
On a day like today
No other words would do.

Keane: On A Day Like Today

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2006, 09:52:55 pm »
Awww, I haven't visited this thread for a while.  I feel more and more sorry for Jack everytime I watch the movie.  What I've learned after all these months is that the frustration level at their situation and the sadness only gets worse as time goes on!   :'(   The thing that makes me sad at the moment is the idea of lost potential. 

Anyway, I'm mainly here to say welcome to BetterMost insane-romantic!  Glad you're here!  Want a cup of coffee don't you?  And a piece of cherry cake?
 :)
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Noviani

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2006, 05:52:52 am »
You gotta feel sorry for Jack becuase not once Ennis made an effort to get to meet Jack's folks when he was alive.

Ye-haww!!