Author Topic: The Dark Knight - no spoilers please  (Read 50874 times)

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: The Dark Knight
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2008, 01:00:45 pm »
OK, here's another lengthy and thorouh analysis and review of TDK. (Todd Gilchrist, IGN Movies).

http://movies.ign.com/articles/884/884876p1.html

It's two pages of nothing but praise, with a 5 out of 5 star rating, and states that "The Dark Knight qualifies as the first official comic book adaptation that truly succeeds in being a great artistic achievement in its own right."

Very well worth the read!

And I'll go post his praise for Heath in the HHH thread.  :)

Wow !!
There seems to be no superlatives for Heath's performance that have not been used.
 My heart aches for his family comming over for the premier and seeing their beloved Heath completely mesmerise the audience.Which it seems he will do.
We all feel so bad,How on earth they will feel is beyond anything I can imagine.
It is wonderful that his last full performance is obviously sheer genius, but it is simultaneously so desperately tragic that we will see no more.
I will remain sceptical about an Oscar, simply because he got such incredible rave reviews for BBM and quite rightly so, yet no Oscar.Will it be any different this time,I wonder.
It would be lovely for Matilda, but too late for Heath.I am so conflicted about it all.

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2008, 08:13:03 pm »
You're wonderful top show such realism, as surealism, Heath, so that we can protect ourselves against terror !!

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2008, 04:45:49 pm »
http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/Movies/story?id=5287395&page=1

Holy Conundrum Batman! How Does Blockbuster Handle Star's Death?
Heath Ledger's Joker Already Generating Oscar Buzz Before Movie's Opening

Offline BelAir

« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2008, 07:00:02 pm »
I was browsing for Joker stuff today, and here are some things I found...

"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline BelAir

« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2008, 12:00:42 pm »
Aaron Eckhart (Harvey Dent/Two Face in TDK) was on Jay Leno last night.  I recorded it on my DVR... Jay called the movie "best picture of the year" and Aaron had lovely things to say about Heath...  I tried to find a youtube clip with no luck, so I guess I'll transcribe and report back...

Offline BelAir

« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2008, 12:22:30 pm »
I transcribed the relevant parts and posted on the HHH thread.

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php/topic,1179.msg385712.html#msg385712

Offline BelAir

« Reply #66 on: July 12, 2008, 09:24:15 am »
This is a new review for me.  Interesting, I thought.  Has some new info on the movie, though not truly spoilers, imo.

I'll post the section about The Joker.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080712/ap_en_re/film_review_the_dark_knight

Review: `Dark Knight' nearly lives up to the hype

By CHRISTY LEMIRE, AP Movie Critic

Nolan was wise enough, however, to give Ledger plenty of room to shine — albeit in the actor's indelibly perverse, twisted way. There's nothing cartoony about his Joker. Ledger wrested the role from previous performers Cesar Romero and Jack Nicholson and reinvented it completely.

Yes, he's funny, wringing laughs from both clever one-liners and maniacally grand schemes. He can be playful, finding unexpected avenues into the character: "You complete me," he purrs to Batman, mockingly borrowing Tom Cruise's classic line from "Jerry Maguire" and dashing all possibilities for the Caped One's imminent retirement.

But because there's no logic behind his mayhem, he's also truly terrifying. The terror he inflicts on Gotham is meticulously planned (the opening bank heist, shot with IMAX cameras, is a marvel of timing) and yet his sole inspiration is to create chaos, then watch the city squirm and burn.

That his attacks grow larger each time, regardless of the collateral damage, makes him so genuinely disturbing. Ledger seems to have understood that, and brings an appropriate — and riveting — unpredictability to the role. It's also a neat touch that his makeup, which looked like a slapdash effort from the start, steadily deteriorates, streaking, cracking and peeling away as the film progresses; it's an outward manifestation of his psychological spiral.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: The Dark Knight - no spoilers please
« Reply #67 on: July 12, 2008, 11:59:37 am »
from the New York Times:

July 12, 2008
Holy Cameo, Batman! It’s a Senator!
By PAM BELLUCK

The senior senator from Vermont is in a large room packed with people when an unruly citizen bursts in making loud, unreasonable demands.

Anyone can see that a gavel to order is not going to work with this joker. He’s harassing people, and he’s got a gun.

The senator steps forward. “We’re not intimidated by you thugs,” he says. The man, saying, “You remind me of my father — I hated my father,” grabs the senator’s head, and thrusts a knife to his face. The senator freezes, eyes wide.

Not your typical Capitol Hill brouhaha. No, this scene is pure Hollywood, straight out of the new Batman movie, “The Dark Knight.” But that really is the senior senator from Vermont: Patrick J. Leahy — Democrat, Judiciary Committee chairman and lifelong Batman fan — has a cameo in the film and gets to be held at knifepoint by Heath Ledger’s Joker.

Bam! Kapow! Biff!

“No matter what they say, I don’t wear tights or a cape or a mask,” Mr. Leahy said in a phone interview. “Not that kind of movie. Not that kind of guy. My wife would have killed me.”

The 68-year-old six-term senator says he has been big on Batman since he was 4, when, one Sunday after Mass, his parents stopped at a little drugstore in Montpelier, Vt., his hometown, and bought him a comic book for 10 cents.

“I can vaguely picture it,” Mr. Leahy reminisced. “One of the scenes had Bruce Wayne down in the Bat Cave to work on the Batmobile.”

Batman became his favorite superhero because “he has no superpowers,” Mr. Leahy said. “He had to use his own brains and his own knowledge. He could have had an entirely different life. As a billionaire, he could have done anything.”

Mr. Leahy had a nonspeaking cameo in the 1997 film “Batman and Robin,” did a voice-over for the part of a governor in a Batman cartoon, and wrote the prefaces for a “Batman” anthology and a Batman comic book about the danger of land mines. Once he was spotted doing wheelies on his grandson’s toy Batmobile down the long marble hall outside his Senate office.

He donates all Batman earnings to the children’s wing of the Kellogg-Hubbard Library in Montpelier. Mr. Leahy, who is legally blind in one eye, said that his daily trips to the library, then in a basement, made him a precocious reader as a child. On Saturday, the movie will have its premiere at the library, which will receive the proceeds from a reception and 350 tickets being sold to the screening, at $50 apiece.

The filming of Mr. Leahy’s scene in a Chicago restaurant last summer took “all night long,” he said. Mr. Ledger would “punch or throw me halfway across the room,” and Mr. Leahy was propped up by another actor “with an arm like an oak tree” who was “brandishing a gun in my face.”

It took the senator a couple dozen tries before he got his line right.

“We tried it two different ways — one was authoritative, the other one was with a lot of fear in my voice,” Mr. Leahy said. Ultimately, he was directed to act like the prosecutor he once was, with a take-charge attitude.

So how did Mr. Leahy manage to find his character’s motivation? Was he thinking of Vice President Dick Cheney, who in 2004 used profanity to curse Mr. Leahy on the Senate floor?

“No, I wasn’t visualizing Dick Cheney,” Mr. Leahy said. “They can’t use that dialogue in a PG-13 movie.”

Wham!

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/12/washington/12leahy.html?_r=1&oref=slogin&ref=us&pagewanted=print
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #68 on: July 12, 2008, 06:23:59 pm »
A homemade spoof of the Dark Knight trailers. If you've seen them, this is pretty hilarious!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sYBqhOEdRQ[/youtube]

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #69 on: July 12, 2008, 06:54:32 pm »
A homemade spoof of the Dark Knight trailers. If you've seen them, this is pretty hilarious!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sYBqhOEdRQ[/youtube]

Loved this, thanks Laura. :)

Through what efforts some people go ....
I think they did it really well.