Author Topic: The Dark Knight - no spoilers please  (Read 50547 times)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
Re: The Dark Knight - no spoilers please
« Reply #70 on: July 12, 2008, 11:19:03 pm »
A homemade spoof of the Dark Knight trailers. If you've seen them, this is pretty hilarious!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sYBqhOEdRQ[/youtube]

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Aloysius J. Gleek

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #71 on: July 13, 2008, 08:59:57 am »
A homemade spoof of the Dark Knight trailers. If you've seen them, this is pretty hilarious!

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sYBqhOEdRQ[/youtube]

"Mimes are...bound by mime law..."

Bet Mr. Nolan is kicking himself now--he could have saved $179,999,000.00 (figuring about $1,000 on the YouTube 'production' costs, including food for all the castmembers)!

Hah! Hilarious!

Thanks for posting!

;D

"Tu doives entendre je t'aime."
(and you know who I am...)

Cowboy Curtis (Laurence Fishburne)
and Pee-wee in the 1990 episode
"Camping Out"

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #72 on: July 13, 2008, 09:10:06 am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Knight_(film)

The Dark Knight (film)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

(excerpt)

Design

Costume designer Lindy Hemming described the Joker's look as reflecting his personality — that "he doesn't care about himself at all"; she avoided designing him as a vagrant but still made him appear to be "scruffier, grungier", so that "when you see him move, he's slightly twitchier or edgy." Nolan noted, "We gave a Francis Bacon spin to [his face]. This corruption, this decay in the texture of the look itself. It's grubby. You can almost imagine what he smells like."

In creating the "anarchical" look of the Joker, Hemming drew inspiration from such countercultural pop culture artists as Pete Doherty, Iggy Pop, and Johnny Rotten. During the course of the film, the Joker never removes his make-up, causing it to become more unkempt and resemble an infection as it worsens.

Ledger described his "clown" mask, made up of three pieces of stamped silicone, as a "new technology", taking much less time for the make-up artists to apply than more-conventional prosthetics usually requires — the process took them only an hour — and resulting in Ledger's impression that he was barely wearing any make-up at all.

"Camping Out"

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2008, 11:28:31 am »

a premiere pic.

Don't you guys think Maggie looks just beautiful?  And if you squint really hard, CB almost looks like a clean shaven JG...okay maybe not.
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline BelAir

« Reply #74 on: July 15, 2008, 11:36:45 am »
http://film.guardian.co.uk/news/story/0,,2290975,00.html?gusrc=rss&feed=networkfront

Has some nice descriptions of what was going on inside the theater during the premiere, including an orchestra in the beginning and "several midscreening ovations" for Heath.

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2008, 11:39:58 am »

I am excerpting this review by David Denby in case some readers may think spoilers may include the full piece. The link is provided here:
http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/cinema/2008/07/21/080721crci_cinema_denby

Some may also think parts which follow may be disturbing, but I think it important to post, and I may post it in other threads as well.

From The New Yorker:

The Current Cinema

Past Shock

Heath Ledger and Christian Bale in Christopher Nolan’s new Batman movie.

by David Denby
July 21, 2008

(....)

Yet “The Dark Knight” is hardly routine—it has a kicky sadism in scene after scene, which keeps you on edge and sends you out onto the street with post-movie stress disorder. And it has one startling and artful element: the sinister and frightening performance of the late Heath Ledger as the psychopathic murderer the Joker. That part of the movie is upsetting to watch, and, in retrospect, both painful and stirring to think about.

The Dark Knight,” which was directed by Christopher Nolan (who also made “Batman Begins”) and written by Nolan and his brother Jonathan, is devoted to perversity. Bruce Wayne, attempting to bring order to Gotham City, has instead provoked the thugs. The mob is running rampant, and they’ve infiltrated the police department. The Joker, who doesn’t care for money and wants only the power to sow chaos, intimidates everyone, including the gangsters. Wayne and the noble Lieutenant Jim Gordon (Gary Oldman) decide to get behind the new D.A., Harvey Dent (Aaron Eckhart), and set him up as Gotham’s crime-fighting hero. Batman even thinks of retiring. But the Joker won’t let him; he needs him, as someone to play with. An anarchist by philosophy, the Joker uses terrorist methods (bombs, bombs, bombs), and he has an enormous advantage over the principled Batman—he’s ruthless. So the Joker taunts and giggles, and Batman can only extend his wings.

It’s a workable dramatic conflict, but only half the team can act it. Christian Bale has been effective in some films, but he’s a placid Bruce Wayne, a swank gent in Armani suits, with every hair in place. He’s more urgent as Batman, but he delivers all his lines in a hoarse voice, with an unvarying inflection. It’s a dogged but uninteresting performance, upstaged by the great Ledger, who shambles and slides into a room, bending his knees and twisting his neck and suddenly surging into someone’s face like a deep-sea creature coming up for air. Ledger has a fright wig of ragged hair; thick, running gobs of white makeup; scarlet lips; and dark-shadowed eyes. He’s part freaky clown, part Alice Cooper the morning after, and all actor. He’s mesmerizing in every scene. His voice is not sludgy and slow, as it was in “Brokeback Mountain.” It’s a little higher and faster, but with odd, devastating pauses and saturnine shades of mockery. At times, I was reminded of Marlon Brando at his most feline and insinuating. When Ledger wields a knife, he is thoroughly terrifying (do not, despite the PG-13 rating, bring the children), and, as you’re watching him, you can’t help wondering—in a response that admittedly lies outside film criticism—how badly he messed himself up in order to play the role this way. His performance is a heroic, unsettling final act: this young actor looked into the abyss.

"Camping Out"

Offline BelAir

« Reply #76 on: July 15, 2008, 11:43:10 am »
http://ukpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5hnFIRpkXwqQ-epS9iS9VzPPloUOg

It's pretty brief article; here's what Christopher Nolan and AE had to say:

Director Christopher Nolan added: "I feel very excited that there's so much anticipation around the film but obviously, that in itself is somewhat daunting.

"The film has a lot to live up to now so hopefully we've done it right."

And Aaron Eckhart added: "There's so many emotions that I'm feeling right now. I'm so happy to get this out to the public for the world to see it, I feel sad that Heath's not here to do this with us and I feel honoured to be a part of both the Batman history and part of Heath's history."

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2008, 10:03:31 pm »
Check out the Mandarin Oriental where the after-party for "The Dark Knight" was held:

Pretty cool!

Offline Kay-Nasty

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • "Just Sending Up A Prayer Of Thanks"
« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2008, 03:54:06 am »
I just bought my tickets for the midnight showing a few hours ago, and let me tell you, it was a toughie! Silly me, I thought that as long as I bought tickets before thursday, i'd have no problem buying 4 stinkin tickets. Little did I know everyone else in the world, (or at least in san diego and orange county ;)) would think to buy their tickets several days in advance. HA! I originally wanted to see the premiere it in iMAX, but the 3 iMAX theaters within an hour of my house were sold out, and all three had several theaters showing at midnight. Even the 3:15 showings were all gone. I was quite depressed, but held my head high and went in search of normal sized theaters to buy tickets. Checked out about 10 different places in my general area before i landed on San Marcos' Edwards theater. And boy am I lucky I even found four tickets. I was becoming quite discouraged looking at theater after theater, seeing all the 12:01, 12:30, 1:00, and even 1:30 showings all gone. But on the bright side, Heath's movie is breaking all kinds of records. I read a few days ago that the Dark Knight has a record breaking 94 iMAX theater midnight premieres. Impressive! :o :o :o :o

Gee wiz, I am so excited, it's not even funny. I've literally been waiting over a year for this day. In less than 24 hours I will be watching my Heathy, yet again, on the big screen. I can hardly contain my excitement. And I'm dressing up as the Joker!!

"I never had money, and I was very happy without it. When I die, my money's not gonna come with me. My movies will live on - for people to judge what I was as a person."  ~Heath, I swear

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2008, 09:16:49 am »

Gee wiz, I am so excited, it's not even funny. I've literally been waiting over a year for this day. In less than 24 hours I will be watching my Heathy, yet again, on the big screen. I can hardly contain my excitement. And I'm dressing up as the Joker!!

I'm glad you were able to get tickets. 

You've got to post a photo of your Joker getup.  I know I'd love to see it.